Wine and Dine 2015

So bummed. I somehow hurt my other Achilles. :( My 6.5 miler today turned into a 2.75 miler. It was a little sore when I started then at about 2.5 I was limping! I have a half in 3 weeks. Hoping if I follow the same recovery plan that I did earlier this year (thanks @orangejeepgirl!) that I will be able to still run it. Well more like walk most of it with a little running. Currently have it elevated, on ice. :crutches: :(:(:(:(

So sorry to hear this. I hope you can get it healed up in time for your half.

I wonder if those Nike free shoes are part of the problem. Aren't they low heeled shoes? Have you tried Brooks Ghost 7(8)? The heel isn't quite as low as the free 5.0??? I tend to get a pair at the steep price $115'ish and then find them "endangered" at around $80.00.

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. I think the heel drop is .8mm? I haven't tried anything other than the Aasics I was wearing when I got fitted for the Nike's. I hate this because the Nikes are sooo comfortable for running! Plus my DH will not be thrilled for me to have to shell out another $100 when I just got new Nikes in October. My DD25 has the Ghosts and she loves them so maybe I will give them a try...

Yes - I saw quite a few runners getting stickers on their bibs at the Runner Relations booth while I was waiting in line to pay for my merch. I think with the recent rash in "hacked" PoT submissions that rD is trying to rectify the issue as best they can. It's also a safety thing - it's not safe for an A corral runner to have to blast from the back of the pack ... not safe for the runner or the others around them - I'm thinking @crewmatt may have been a runner that was improperly corralled for this race as well?

Anyway. During the delay in the Fieldhouse, I was chatting with a gal in the restroom. Her bib number was in the 14000s, but she had an A sticker over her original corral letter. Not to judge a book by its cover, but I had to do a double-take because I thought she was someone famous ... she was just in AMAZING shape.

Also, and just my dos pesos - I think with the sheer number of deferrals and late registrations as people dropped from charities and TAs (there were bibs being purchased via TA as late as Oct. 6th-ish) that rD was doing its best to accommodate runners legally registering bibs that may not have had a chance to submit PoT and clearly had a reason to be in an early corral.

Yes I was in the same boat. It took lots of talking and begging and pleading but eventually I got a sticker. Its crazy how many different answers they were giving - originally they're like we'll give you a Corral F sticker - but then my friend's father who is obviously much older then me planning on finishing an hour after me, gets a Corral D sticker sight unseen with no hassle at all. So eventually I ended up in A. And after all of that at the start I saw SO many people with stickers for one corral or another.

I don't understand their obsession with this this year - every other year changing corrals for people was a non event. They clearly made a mistake with the new system, and then doubled down with it. It almost seemed like they were simply trying to save money and hassle, and not actually trying to put on a good event. Something I've been noticing with runDisney recently anyway. The merchandise has gotten better, but the Disney touches in the events have gotten far less. Fewer characters, longer lines, less entertainment and resources during the event. When someone pay's 100's of dollars for a race, we expect a good experience, otherwise I can pay 50-100 dollars for a marathon anywhere else.

So if people need to change corrals then they wait in line with proof of time and get moved to a different corral. No offense, most of the people working there are volunteers anyway - how is it costing them anything. Or if it is, how is it costing them anything appreciable compared to the cost of the race entry. If you're worried about corrals being overcrowded, you simply look at your previous years - and if you did this correctly you should have a system in place to handle it, and leave an appropriate number of blank spaces. Most of the corral switches will cancel out anyway. No one really cares if there is 100 more runners in corral X anyway, as long as they're running the same speed as the other people in the corral. People get annoyed when someone gets into A who can't run that pace and is down to a walk within the first mile, or is in C but is pushing through all the time bumping and weaving. Line up with the corral of the pace you plan to run. Line up next to people looking to run about the same pace, and you won't really run into any issues. I started in A, the gun went off, and by the time we made it to the highway that was basically it for the corral sorting itself out. And when I've gone back to other corrals, I've noticed about the same thing. I'm not sure if towards the later corrals if people tend to line up at the front of their corral even though their expected pace is in the slower end of the corral? The one time I started way back I had food poisoning and wasnt really moving well anyway.

Well rant over, onto the Dopey. I'm excitedly waiting for my post race survey.

I just finished a half marathon under 2:05. It was a faster pace per mile than my new Disney Wine and Dine 6.7 PB. Who knew a four week taper could work? I wasn't really sure I was running it until after my coffee this morning. Race day registration how easy is that?

Conditions can also help - it was brutally hot for W&D this year. But yes you would be surprised how much carry over fitness and tapering really work.

crewmatt- glad you got reset to the correct corral. I thought they would have something at the Expo, and when I saw that sticker on a bib, figured someone on the thread would have more knowledge.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Well it seems that my Achilles tendonitis is actually peroneal (sp?) tendonitis. I'm so tired of these injuries! So right now I'm icing, stretching, wearing a compression brace, compression calf sleeves etc. I may have to get more supportive shoes as my Nike Free's are probably contributing to the problem. Although some people think minimalist shoes actually help this type of tendonitis! There are so many conflicting theories! I maybe ran on a sloped road for 1/20th of my last run so would that really cause it? And I haven't increased my distance more than 10% a week and I am for sure not doing speed work (all the "common causes"). I wish I could figure it out so I could stop doing whatever "it" is that is causing these injuries. :(

I may have to get more supportive shoes as my Nike Free's are probably contributing to the problem. Although some people think minimalist shoes actually help this type of tendonitis! There are so many conflicting theories! I maybe ran on a sloped road for 1/20th of my last run so would that really cause it?
I deal with chronic and permanent peroneal tendonitis thanks to a very old tear in my peroneus longus - absolutely, running on a slope can cause, or at least aggravate it! The Nike Free's may not necessarily be the root cause, but they could very well be preventing healing. I ran in Newtons and Altras for years, but had to switch to shoes that provide more heel/ankle support in order to recover from a half I ran on steeply cambered paths. As I've been increasing my mileage for marathon training, I've had to really baby that tendon: I only wear Brooks Ghosts now, no high heels, and I need to tape that ankle for all long runs.

I'll also add that any amount of medial support (stability shoes) makes my peroneal tendonitis flare badly. I once tried the Nike Frees, several models back, and despite being classified as neutral shoes, found that they really made that bad ankle roll outward.

I deal with chronic and permanent peroneal tendonitis thanks to a very old tear in my peroneus longus - absolutely, running on a slope can cause, or at least aggravate it! The Nike Free's may not necessarily be the root cause, but they could very well be preventing healing. I ran in Newtons and Altras for years, but had to switch to shoes that provide more heel/ankle support in order to recover from a half I ran on steeply cambered paths. As I've been increasing my mileage for marathon training, I've had to really baby that tendon: I only wear Brooks Ghosts now, no high heels, and I need to tape that ankle for all long runs.

I'll also add that any amount of medial support (stability shoes) makes my peroneal tendonitis flare badly. I once tried the Nike Frees, several models back, and despite being classified as neutral shoes, found that they really made that bad ankle roll outward.

Ugh, so sorry to hear all of that! I honestly have zero $$ right now to get new running shoes. DH has been supportive of my running, but I have sensed a limit to his support lately, lol. Probably because my SW ticket to Princess is over $400 and my share of our room is over $500. Plus we are traveling out of town (overnight hotel stay) for my half on 12/12. Throw Christmas shopping for 4 adult kids in there and we are maxed out! So.... I bought this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TGYI6C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00) ankle brace to wear on my bad ankle when I run and so far it has made a huge difference. It keeps me from rolling my ankle either direction. I haven't tried it on any long runs yet. I have on my older pair of Frees today with the brace, just for work, not to run in and it's pretty comfortable. I will probably look into the Ghosts when I have some spare cash, lol. DD25 has a pair also and she loves them.

Thanks for replying. I am thinking that when I do my intervals I will make sure that I am walking when the road is sloped the most steeply. Hopefully that helps too.

Very long shot here, but does anyone have a Wine & Dine beer glass that they regret purchasing that they want to sell? One of my DD26's in-laws put hers in the dishwasher and it melted the decal off. She is super bummed, as this was the only souvenir that she purchased. :(

I wish I did. That's sad though- that the dishwasher melted the decal off. You'd think the glass would be better quality than that!

Very long shot here, but does anyone have a Wine & Dine beer glass that they regret purchasing that they want to sell? One of my DD26's in-laws put hers in the dishwasher and it melted the decal off. She is super bummed, as this was the only souvenir that she purchased. :(

I'll take a look at the outlet malls...sometimes stuff shows up. I have a car magnet, still in the wrapper, stuck to the refrigerator; would that be a platitude? If I ever stick it to the truck it will need a 6.7 miler modification;)

I'll take a look at the outlet malls...sometimes stuff shows up. I have a car magnet, still in the wrapper, stuck to the refrigerator; would that be a platitude? If I ever stick it to the truck it will need a 6.7 miler modification;)

That would be great, thanks! I also have the magnet, still in the wrapper. She wasn't interested lol.

I wish I did. That's sad though- that the dishwasher melted the decal off. You'd think the glass would be better quality than that!

It is actually the way the deals are put on. None (well very very few) of Disney's printed items are dishwasher safe.

It is actually the way the deals are put on. None (well very very few) of Disney's printed items are dishwasher safe.

Yeah, she would never put it in the dishwasher. The in-laws are there for Christmas and were "helping" while she was at work. :eek:

Yeah, she would never put it in the dishwasher. The in-laws are there for Christmas and were "helping" while she was at work. :eek:

I totally get that. Didn't think she put it in there in purpose was letting the PP know that almost nothing Disney sells cup wise is dishwasher safe. My poor chesire cat mug came out white :(. We had to tell our maid absolutely no printed cups go into the dishwasher because we suffered a few loses of Starbucks mugs and Disney mugs the first few weeks.

Thanks for checking! I guess we can check when we go for Princess in February. Thanks for the suggestion too!

Hey @Dis5150,
It occurs to me, you might leave a message on the marathon thread. There's lots of folks going that weekend who know you. I'm sure someone would be glad to pick one up for you if they saw it!
Those applied logos are so frustrating.... All it takes is one person to not realize they are not dishwasher safe! I was disappointed to watch the jockey disappear off my Saratoga Springs mug!
:scared1:

Good luck with your search!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter