Wine by the Glass

britinva

Mouseketeer
Anyone know what the typical prices of Wine by the glass on board?

Is there more choice at the bar vs. what's offered in the Wine packages.

DW can only drink unoaked wines and will often want to taste being buying a bottle.

Also any issues with buying at the bar and then taking into the restaurants?

Is there more choice at the bar vs. what's offered in the Wine packages.

DW can only drink unoaked wines and will often want to taste being buying a bottle.

Also any issues with buying at the bar and then taking into the restaurants?

I can't recall exact prices but at least when we have sailed w/DCL in the past (last time over 2 yrs ago), we have found the alcohol prices to be less than at a nice resort. There is definitely no problem at all taking a drink into the MDR that you got elsewhere.

Someone here recommended that if you're going to Palo, they have a very good wine list, and if you try a wine while dining there that you like, buy a bottle (or more) and have it "travel" with you to the MDR's. I thought this was a great idea! Not sure if you have booked Palo, especially if it's booked early in your cruise.

There are very good sommeliers onboard that should be able to help your DH find some very nice options. :-) Oh! Meridian Lounge may or may not have access to wines from Palo and/or Remy. There is a dress code for this lounge btw. Meridian is only on the Dream class ships too. :cutie:

The prosecco that I get by the glass is $8 a glass. I have never been stopped for bringing in my glass from the bar to dinner. Sometimes I need that glass of wine as I wait in line to take a photo :) In my past experience talking to the bartenders most of them are pretty knowledgeable and will talk to you about the drinks they are preparing for you. They can probably guide you on what you need. The wine list on the wine package seems pretty extensive to me but I am not a big wine drinker if it isn't sparking.

It's been a couple of years since we were on Disney, but pretty much the only alcohol my husband and I drink is wine. I have always been pleasantly surprised at the prices. I think we paid about 7 or 8 dollars a glass, and they had some decent selections. I mean, wine by the glass isn't usually known for great variety anywhere you go. They had a really nice Albarino by the glass when we sailed on Disney in Europe, though I don't think they had it when we sailed in Canada. As for buying by the bottle, while they are obviously marked up, it's no more than at any land based restaurant. If you find something you like in the wine packages, they can be a pretty good deal as well.

Admittedly, we are kind of wine snobs, so often ask for the Palo wine menu - even in the MDR - which has wonderful options (albeit at a higher price). Though, the best deal is to just bring your own on board. For wine (or beer) lovers, Disney still has the best deal at sea as you can bring on 2 bottles per person at embarkation and each port. Heck, even we can't drink that much wine!! :rotfl2:

Edited to add - and yes to answer your last question, you can certainly purchase a glass of wine at a bar and take into a restaurant. The only restriction is that wine you bring on board should be consumed in your cabin. Though how anyone would ever know the difference is beyond me.

Last edited:

the best deal is to just bring your own on board. For wine (or beer) lovers, Disney still has the best deal at sea as you can bring on 2 bottles per person at embarkation and each port.
We do this as well. We bring a couple of nice bottles for Remy and Palo dinners. Even with the corkage fee, it still saves money as DCL (like all other food serving establishments) inflates the cost of wine two or three times the retail cost.

In the MDRs, the prices start from the $7-8 range and get up to about $14 for some of the reds. I'm not sure if any sparkling wines get above that for a glass. Given the context of both Disney and cruise, the prices aren't bad.

Different bars will have some different options. I imagine you have more options total at the restaurants and Meridian, but there may be some wines available elsewhere not available in the MDRs.

I've paid as little as $7 for a glass and as much as $18 for a glass (and it was amazing). I find that they have quite a good range and options for both red and white. Just tell you server what you'd like or don't like. I usually order whatever wine they have paired with the entree (I'm on vacation - I don't like to think) but sometimes I'd order from the lighter menu which doesn't have a pairing and I'll just ask my server to get me something that works. Usually I find that the server will go and talk to the appropriate person and bring me something. If there are particular preferences, or non-preferences, just let them know and they'll find it.

Thanks all for answers..... my thinking at the bar its easier to get a taster before committing to but whereas in MDR it would be more difficult/longer wait.

You can ask for the extensive wine list at any restaurant and they'll get it, though you may wait. On the Dream and Fantasy, you can visit Meridian deck 11/12 Aft. It is located between Palo and Remy and you can get the wine listing there, ask the sommelier questions, and facilitate delivery to your dining room table. I'm not a big wine drinker at all, but they have helped us in the past and are knowledgable. They even did a liquor and chocolate tasting, which turned a bit more like wine, and we got to try some amazing wines.

You can ask for the extensive wine list at any restaurant and they'll get it, though you may wait. On the Dream and Fantasy, you can visit Meridian deck 11/12 Aft. It is located between Palo and Remy and you can get the wine listing there, ask the sommelier questions, and facilitate delivery to your dining room table. I'm not a big wine drinker at all, but they have helped us in the past and are knowledgable. They even did a liquor and chocolate tasting, which turned a bit more like wine, and we got to try some amazing wines.
I heard the liquor/chocolate tasting is awesome! Tell me what you think. We're signed up for it for our 9/22 sailing.

We love Meridian too. We met with the sommelier there to review the wines we brought with us wines to enjoy at Palo and Remy. Very helpful in pairing the wines we brought with the food offerings.

I heard the liquor/chocolate tasting is awesome! Tell me what you think. We're signed up for it for our 9/22 sailing.

We love Meridian too. We met with the sommelier there to review the wines we brought with us wines to enjoy at Palo and Remy. Very helpful in pairing the wines we brought with the food offerings.

I am probably one of the only people who did not enjoy the chocolate tasting. Liquid chocolate tasted oily, and I could not get passed that. DH did not enjoy it either.

I am probably one of the only people who did not enjoy the chocolate tasting. Liquid chocolate tasted oily, and I could not get passed that. DH did not enjoy it either.
So sorry Bobbi, we must keep looking!

I'm pretty sure I've given thoughts in the past, but 3,000 posts is a lot for me to look through. We arrived and the drinks were already poured and chocolates were on plates. The facilitator introduced themselves. They also provided a history on chocolate. Then they talked about how the alcohol tastes can change based on the chocolate uses. They take you through each drink. You taste it as a before and try to identify some flavors or to find them (if you are me with an uncultured sense of taste). Then you have some chocolate and retaste to see the differences. Rinse and repeat. I don't have the list with me, but I know that for the $30 or whatever it was, received more than than in the list price by the glass for some of them. We also got a Lassiter Wine, which can be quite difficult to procure.

I would do it again as it was fun. It is a good opportunity to meet people if you are a solo or just 2 travelers. Certainly fun if in a group.

I was on the Dream last week. The nicer wines were $12-16 per glass; the cheaper ones were $8-10, plus there is an automatic 15% gratuity (though I always added a little more). There was some overlap in the wines by the glass and the wine package, but there was definitely more selection in by the glass than in the package. We definitely would have saved money had we gotten the wine package, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter