Winery advice?

Hello. New to posting but not to reading these boards. Just a note about wineries in Napa requiring a reservation. It is a local requirement that the wineries allow only so many visitors per day/week/etc. The wineries keep these books to prove that they are operating within the scope of their allowed use. Of course many of the older wineries are "grandfathered in", and many more don't always operate within the rules. In fact it wasn't until recently that a law was passed permitting the wineries to allow on-site consumption of a bottle of one of their wines purchased on site and many have put in new picnic areas (V Sattui is an example of a winery that had a picnic area grandfathered in before the law). Just thought it might be helpful to know why you see so many wineries in Napa that say reservation only and you'll notice as you drive up and down the trail and the hwy many wineries have signs out with phone numbers to call to make reservations. Often times people can call and make one for the same day if they aren't booked up or too busy during tourist season. The crush is just starting and IMO fall is one of the best times of the year in the Napa Valley.

Also for eating you might consider The Soda Canyon Store (just north of Napa on Silverado Trail) for good sandwiches and picnic items or to grab a coffee and some breakfast treats. Also I saw Oxbow mentioned and Bistro Sabor in downtown Napa. Both good areas to get a variety of food. Bistro Sabor is owned by the Ceja Family of Ceja Vineyards in the Carneros region of Napa. Another good place to try for a breakfast, lunch, or just a sweet treat is Sweetie Pies in downtown Napa. They have also been featured on Food Network. Hope that helps some.

A tiny winery that we really enjoyed: Casa Nuestra

Highly recommend the Tinto- a field blend with many varietals, but 2 that even UC Davis couldn't identify.

I love tiny wineries - those are usually the hidden gems - thank you! :)

So I may or may not have visited both the main Gott's Roadside, and the Oxbow location:thumbsup2 Worth the wait, and if the weather is nice, it's a great place to hang out for a bit.

Also, I failed to mention, it can be a little touristy, but if you make a stop at Chateau Montelena, you'll be in love. They were the subject of a movie called Bottle Shock, so they get more visitors than some of the others, but the grounds are simply incredible. It's an old French chateau...and if you're lucky like us, they will have just wrapped up a "premium tasting" and give you some of the leftovers:)

Even the larger ones can sometimes be "non-touristy"! I'll def. look this one up and add it to the list. Thank you! :goodvibes

Hello. New to posting but not to reading these boards. Just a note about wineries in Napa requiring a reservation. It is a local requirement that the wineries allow only so many visitors per day/week/etc. The wineries keep these books to prove that they are operating within the scope of their allowed use. Of course many of the older wineries are "grandfathered in", and many more don't always operate within the rules. In fact it wasn't until recently that a law was passed permitting the wineries to allow on-site consumption of a bottle of one of their wines purchased on site and many have put in new picnic areas (V Sattui is an example of a winery that had a picnic area grandfathered in before the law). Just thought it might be helpful to know why you see so many wineries in Napa that say reservation only and you'll notice as you drive up and down the trail and the hwy many wineries have signs out with phone numbers to call to make reservations. Often times people can call and make one for the same day if they aren't booked up or too busy during tourist season. The crush is just starting and IMO fall is one of the best times of the year in the Napa Valley.

Also for eating you might consider The Soda Canyon Store (just north of Napa on Silverado Trail) for good sandwiches and picnic items or to grab a coffee and some breakfast treats. Also I saw Oxbow mentioned and Bistro Sabor in downtown Napa. Both good areas to get a variety of food. Bistro Sabor is owned by the Ceja Family of Ceja Vineyards in the Carneros region of Napa. Another good place to try for a breakfast, lunch, or just a sweet treat is Sweetie Pies in downtown Napa. They have also been featured on Food Network. Hope that helps some.

Thank you! It's interesting since in PA (and along most of the east coast) you do not have to make reservations. Of course, I imagine the tourism for wineries in Napa Valley is a bit higher ;) That makes complete sense. I hope to make a few, and then possibly stop into a few of the smaller ones - but there are so many great ones I don't want to miss!
I'll also add Soda Canyon Store to the list. We love grabbing picnic foods and eating them with some wine so the more places I have to stop on our way the better! Thank you! :)

Also, is anyone aware of Heibel Ranch? It has great reviews and looks really interesting.

Thanks!

Really? I've never heard that before, interesting. I'll have to ask next time I'm in Napa, which will probably be Saturday because my wine club shipment is ready! :)

Also, is anyone aware of Heibel Ranch? It has great reviews and looks really interesting.

Thanks!

I haven't been to this one, sorry. :) And I replied to your PM :)

Went to Bistro Sabor Saturday for lunch..........so good............ :) I had the Chile Relleno with rice and beans, DBF had the pork pupusa and we share an order of Latin fries. We left stuffed and happy.

Awesome :) It's officially on the list for our last night in that area :)

This weekend is major reviewing of wineries and looking into a few things - ive heard you can zip line through the Redwoods! I'll be posting with questions as soon as I gather all my research :) I feel like its getting to be last minute planning now but this weekend was 3 days of helping Grandma move out of her condo so this coming is CA planning only!

PixieWings - expect an email with more questions after my research!

I'm excited for you!! You can do a Gondola ride up to a winery in Napa..... :) I look forward to your next message!

ok.......

gotta ask a rather Goofy ? & its about wines:

(The below was cut and pasted from my below listed upcoming trip report
:):goodvibes

NOW ABOUT THAT PESKY TOPIC CALLED "WINES."
From my very first experience in "wines 101" earlier this year, I discovered that I like sweet or semi-sweet wines; be it red or white.

BUT -

In preperation for Pappadeaux's Restaurant in or around Febr 6th area, I am discovering
that there are "sub-sections" of wines!!

Meaning - there are riesling, sauvignon blanc, chardonnay, blush (on the white side)..........

THEN
ya have Pinot Noir, Merlot, cabernet Sauvignon,etc of the Red side!!

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!
(what does each mean??):confused3

ME?
I have tried chardonnay white wines before BUT.........
(it was ok.....didn't really grab my attention but was ok)

I am wondering what semi-sweet or sweet wines (RED?) would you suggest for a seafood meal while out in the SO CAL area (ultimately why I am trying to research this). The reason why I am asking this rather Goofy ? is that I have a desire to taste different wines that are local to the area; after all - California is the #1 ranked state in producing wines & I would like to be enjoying local assorted wines with local food.:thumbsup2

I mean Gheesh la Weesh, I remember as a kid that whenever our whole family would go out to eat at a local restaurant......
say at a Mexican restaurant........

me?
I would order a CHEESEBURGER while there.:upsidedow

And I rreealllyyy wwaaaannnaaaa BREAK that trend.

Now
while looking at the Pappadeux's menu,
I have looked at (a white chardonnay) 'Cakebread', Napa Valley & (a white wine Riesling) J. Lohr "Bay Mist" ; Monterrey California & they seem to initially grab my attention.
BUT.......

Any others??popcorn::
-------------------------------------------------

[B]ok......hope the above makes sense. Also, I get a feel that I will be part of a Napa / Sonoma Wine tasting on my last day & wondering what wineries would we be visiting.

Overall, I am just concerned about buying (for example) a dry wine w/my meal and just getting stuck with a bad wine.:headache:

Thanks 4 listening as this will be my very first trip into San Fran & wine country.:goodvibes
- (362 more days) -

T.T.F.N.

When my DH and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary with a vow renewal, we took a Celebrity Cruises west coast cruise. We went to Robert Young Winery and my DH still raves about it. They let our group bring a picinic lunch - the grounds were beautiful and he opened up the private wine cave for us for tastings.

If you're looking to make a Disney - Wine connection, Lasseter Family Winery is the place to go. They only have a few wines, and I believe they are all Old World style blends, but they are just so friendly and welcoming there. Had a great time and delicious tasting.

I am touring w/YMT vacations and we will be visiting the Sebastiani Winery & Sutter Home Winery in December as part of my upcoming SO CAL adventure.:goodvibes

Still holding options open as I may yet opt to see Muirr Woods enstead as spending all that time out there and yet ONLY seeing 2 wineries????
(I wish we cud have visited the Silverado winery).

Ah well....I still have still to think it over.
thanks for everyones help as I FINALLY figured it out to one of life's mysteries (took me about 2 weeks to figure it out):

that I am a Merlot red wine drinker.::yes::

T.T.F.N.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!