Winging it with No Dinning Plan! A Feb. Trip Report

StarWarsMomofGirls!

DIS Veteran
Welcome to my 4th Trip Report!

This trip was to be a bit more loose in the plans. We just went to Disney in September to celebrate my 40th birthday and DH 10 years at his work. You can read all about it here. (It was a great trip!) I did the traditional planning and planning and more planning for that trip. So, for a while we weren't sure if we were going to come back so soon.

When I finally got DH to agree to go again, we decided that this trip would be more relaxed. How you ask?

Well, for starters, no dinning plan for us.
We have done the dinning plan for most of our trips and I love it.I love not worrying about how much things cost when we are there. I love planning out all our meals. The girls love using "snack credits", it has seriously become part of there vocabulary.

So, we decided to do mostly counter service and try and hit some of the items that we have wanted to try that don't necessarily do when on the dinning plan. Did we like it better than the dinning plan? Was it worth it?

We also decided to not really plan out our days. We booked fast passes of course, but that was it. I didn't really have a general "plan" like I usually do. We wanted to wing it. How did that work out?

It of course was another great trip, with some new things for us. Def a different way for us to visit one of our favorite places! I hope you follow along!

If you are new to my trip reports, you are probably wondering who we are. Some formal intros...

Andy (DH) and Ariella (Me)

Andy works hard at his job and has found over the last couple trips that Disney really allows him to fully detach from work. And has grown to love Disney as much as me and the girls. He also enjoys the fact that I plan everything, which makes the trip itself stress free.
Favorites:
Restaurant: Ohana Dinner or Hoop Dee Doo Review
Ride: Big Thunder Mountain
Snack: Dole Whip

I started planning our first trip when our girls were 5 and 3 and I think I was hooked from buying that first touring guide book. I work 3/4 days and then spend another 3/4 of my day doing you know mom things, homework, running to swim lessons, all those good things.
Favorites:
Restaurant: Sanaa or Boma
Ride: Everest
Snack: Dole Whip or a Make-your-own-Rice Krispie Mickey! (with butterfingers on it!)

Gwen (DD7) and Morgan (DD9)

Gwen is our fancy little sassy gal. She loves Disney and collecting her "cutie" plush. Gwen is 7 going on 8 this summer and trying to survive 2nd grade. Not sure what it is about 2nd grade but it was a little rough around the edges for Morgan and has been the same for Gwen.
Favorites:
Restaurant: Bon Voyage Breakfast or Tusker House
Ride: Primevil Whirl or It's a Small World
Snack: Macaroons

Morgan is our more reserved and thoughtful girl. She loves Disney and got to help "plan" this trip a little. Morgan is 9 going on 10 in less than 3 months!!! Yikes! She is flying through 4th grade with flying colors and has started playing the trombone this year.
Favorites:
Restaurant: Skipper Canteen or Boma
Ride: Everest or Space Mountain
Snack: Mickey Soft Pretzels

Where:
Port Orleans French Quarter
This was a first for us. As part of our no dinning plan, we decided to try a less expensive resort. Andy's sister and family have stayed at FQ many times, so we figured we would give it a try!

When:
January 31st - February 7th
This is what we started to call our "regularly scheduled vacation time". We came last year at this time but went and visited my grandparents first and only spend 2 days in Disney. You can read about that trip here. And then we came the year before that for a proper Disney Trip, you can read my 1st trip report about that trip here. Needless to say, we have liked this time of year to visit.

Last edited:
Coming over from last tr. I stayed at POFQ a couple of years ago and really liked it. I was by myself so appreciated how close everything was. Staying there again in May with my brother and his family.

Here! Looking forward to following along! Sounds like this was a bit of a different trip for you in terms of the more relaxed planning. I'm curious to see what you thought of it.

Travel Day

So, leading up to the trip, we had asked the girls if they wanted to know about the trip or be surprised. Morgan said she wanted to know and Gwen said she wanted to be surprised. So, that is what we did. Andy and I weren't sure Morgan would be able to keep it a secret from Gwen but we figured we would just see how it went.

Morgan helped me pick out fast passes and she wanted to pick out shirts like she had seen on our last trip, you know the ones with a picture and everyones names on them... So, I helped her pick out shirts on etsy. So, the week up to the trip, Morgan had managed to keep it a secret but was itching to tell Gwen. So, the day before we left, Morgan made clues at school and gave them to Gwen in carline. So, she spilled the beans to Gwen in school without us the day before we left!

I have to admit, I was a little annoyed at first but it was good, since I was able to get the girls to get a little ahead on some of there homework. And it was special for Morgan to be the one to tell her. Andy thought it was hilarious that Morgan made clues. (As we have done this twice for the girls on previous trips)

On travel day, the girls had to go to school and I had to go to work. I do billing for our office and it was end of the month, so I had ALOT to get done before I left for the day. And of course, I left late. Gwen had been kind of under the weather over the weekend but had rebounded pretty fast. Well, Morgan woke on travel day looking a lot like Gwen did over the weekend I was a bit worried about her health. Morgan thankfully knew the end game, and muscled through school. But of course it just added to the morning routine and getting out of the house on time. Andy took the day off, so he ran some last minute errands, finished packing, you know, all those good things. I did have Andy add a stop to his list and pick up some cold medicine for Morgan and some gummy kid zicam. When it was finally time to clock out and head to the airport, I of course was running late, so Andy went and picked up the girls from school and I met them at home.

We packed up the girls backpacks with what they needed for the trip and we headed out in a rush. We got 10 minutes away and I realized I forgot my sneakers! I still had on my winter boots! That was not going to work in Disney! So we turned around and went back to grab the sneakers. And FINALLY on take two, we were off to the airport!

We needed to park in long term parking. So, we parked and waited for a shuttle bus to the main terminals. It wasn't too long before a bus came.

We got to our terminal and made our way through security. Once we were done with that, we headed to our gate. Andy sat down with the girls at the gate, and I headed to find us some food. I grabbed snacks and drinks for the girls at your basic overpriced airport kiosk and some Crab Fries for Andy and I from Chickie n' Pete's take out window. Normally, we have a nice early dinner (at Chickie n' Petes) before our flight but we were running really late, so that was not an option this time. While waiting for our fries I was texting with Andy about Morgan. She was fading and didn't look great. I was really worried she was getting pretty sick.

With Crab fries and snacks in hand I headed back to the gate. The area was packed with people and do where for me to sit, so I just crouched on the floor by the girls and tried to eat a couple fries while we waited. I was starving as I hadn't eaten anything today since I was running around like a crazy person at work.

They started boarding shortly after that. We were flying Southwest and had a middle number for Group B. They do family boarding after group A for families with kids under 6. We weren't too worried, we figured as long as we each had a kid, we would be fine. So, we waited for our group, until they announced if you had any small kids to board now, as it was a full flight. So, we headed to board, I'm not going to argue with them! We were still in the back of the plane but I got a row with the girls and Andy sat directly behind us.

I tried to get the girls to do some of there homework but Morgan was clearly NOT feeling well. And Gwen was well, being Gwen. So, I gave up and just let them watch shows on there iPads. I went to watch a show on my iPad and found that they didn't download. Boo. So, I read my book that I have tried to read for like a year. (Spoiler Alert: this is all I have read of this book since then)

Morgan tried snuggling up with me about half way through the flight which worried me even more about how she was feeling.

Gwen was a nosey passanger and kept peaking at the people behind her. Thankfully, it was just Andy and a nice woman who seemed to think Gwen was cute.

The flight was fairly short and before we knew it we were landing and heading the Pho-Monorail! Gwen always says that it is our first ride of the trips.

On our September trip we didn't get in till super late, so we were trying to avoid that this trip. So, we are all much better spirits.

I made the girls stop for a photo at the Disney Store. We are always so focused on getting to Magical Express that I never stop. I think the girls thought I was a little crazy, why would I want a picture here in the airport?!?

I also completely forgot to look for @amalone1013 who was in the airport leaving from there trip. It was a LONG short to run into them but I had thought it would be fun to meeting them even if it was in the airport. Maybe one day!

We made it down to Magical Express and checked in. I am sure the girls argued over who got to use there magic bands first. We were directed to row 9.

We didn't have too long to wait, really just long enough to take our annual Activate Magic bands pic.

They lead us to a bus and we were off! Before long we were seeing this:

Not the best picture, as the girls insisted on sitting in the middle of the bus. We stopped at Key West 1st. I was kind of excited to see what the resort looked like, even from just the outside. But our bus had pictures on the outside, so from inside you couldn't really see well, anything. I was bummed, and Andy told me to just walk up to the front of the bus and peak out but I didn't.

We were the 2nd stop and we arrived at Port Orleans French Quarters at 6:40. Not bad, as we landed at 5:20.

It had been a long day but we were happy to have made it! Gwen was super excited but I am pretty sure Morgan was pretty miserable at this point. Just not feeling well and traveling, she was fading fast.

Up next... The rest of our evening. Will Morgan get worse? Will she still be sick tomorrow?

Last edited:
Andy thought it was hilarious that Morgan made clues. (As we have done this twice for the girls on previous trips)

I love this!! She's like a tiny little grown up making clues for her little sister!

While waiting for our fries I was texting with Andy about Morgan. She was fading and didn't look great. I was really worried she was getting pretty sick.

Uh oh. Doesn't sound good. I hope it doesn't become a long-term thing on the trip!

Gwen was a nosey passanger and kept peaking at the people behind her. Thankfully, it was just Andy and a nice woman who seemed to think Gwen was cute.

Well...she is pretty cute. :lovestruc

26590734258_a983b45262_z.jpg

Awesome picture!

Following!
Welcome! :welcome:

Coming over from last tr. I stayed at POFQ a couple of years ago and really liked it. I was by myself so appreciated how close everything was. Staying there again in May with my brother and his family.
Welcome!!! :welcome:I will mention what we thought of the resort on my next post. (Spoiler, we will def stay there again, sometime) The girls would disagree with you on how close everything was. But they are a little dramatic sometimes.

I'm here and can't wait to read about your latest trip!
Welcome!!!:welcome: Thanks for following along.
Following along :wave:
HI!!!!! :welcome: i feel like I took forever to get this started! I meant to mention on your trip reports. That I watched your videos the other weekend and had a million things to comment but now I forget what they all were. but they were all great!

Here I am :yay:
:welcome: Hello! How were you here at 1:00pm?!? Tempting fate on the battery life of your electronics with no power? I did see that you got it back. Glad to hear that! Winter is not the time to not have power.

Here! Looking forward to following along! Sounds like this was a bit of a different trip for you in terms of the more relaxed planning. I'm curious to see what you thought of it.
:welcome: It really was a different trip for us. I will save my answer to that, though for along the way.

Following!! :flower1:
:welcome: I am so glad folks want to follow along with me while I relive our trip!

Just read your last TR and looking forward to this one!
:welcome: And thanks for reading my last trip report! I had a great time writing that one, and hope the same for this one. Hopefully this one will tide me over until it's time to plan the next trip.

That is a totally adorable picture of her :goodvibes

I made the girls stop for a photo at the Disney Store. We are always so focused on getting to Magical Express that I never stop.
I always WANT to stop for a picture here but nobody else does :( Like you said, everyone is focused on getting to ME so they won't stop for even a second!

Hello! How were you here at 1:00pm?!? Tempting fate on the battery life of your electronics with no power? I did see that you got it back. Glad to hear that! Winter is not the time to not have power.
LOL! We have a small generator so we used that during the day. But it only lasts about 2.5 hours before we have to fill it again so no way was Steve going to get up that often at night, which is why we went to a hotel. Staying at a hotel in Fishkill is NOT as fun as staying at a hotel in Disney! Still tons of people here without power :mad: How did your friends do?

We also decided to not really plan out our days.

:scared1: Kidding! I dream of at least a less planned trip, someday... Maybe... Who am I kidding? I love the planing!

And has grown to love Disney as much as me and the girls.

Lucky!

"regularly scheduled vacation time".

After our first winter, i understand why!

Morgan helped me pick out fast passes and she wanted to pick out shirts like she had seen on our last trip

Cute!

it was special for Morgan to be the one to tell her

I would have wanted to be part of it too. But it's good sister bonding.

I was texting with Andy about Morgan. She was fading and didn't look great. I was really worried she was getting pretty sick.

Ut-oh, poor kiddo. Hope it was a 24 hour bug.

I got a row with the girls and Andy sat directly behind us.

Score! I'm glad we have a few more years before this is a worry.

Morgan tried snuggling up with me about half way through the flight which worried me even more about how she was feeling.

Poor baby! Flying while ill is the worst.

The flight was fairly short and before we knew it we were landing and heading the Pho-Monorail! Gwen always says that it is our first ride of the trips.

Such a cute picture!

We are always so focused on getting to Magical Express that I never stop

Love this one too.

But our bus had pictures on the outside, so from inside you couldn't really see well, anything. I was bummed, and Andy told me to just walk up to the front of the bus and peak out but I didn't.

Why do they do that? Isn't there something they can put up so you can't see in but you're able to see out?

Not bad, as we landed at 5:20.

Nice!

Just not feeling well and traveling, she was fading fast

Oh! I really hope she was able to sleep it off. Excited for park day one!:goodvibes

I've got my wine poured (literally, gotta make Sunday evening count) and I'm thrilled to read all about your trip. Hope Morgan perks up soon!

I’m here too!! Hoping Morgan bounced back quickly. I’m eager to hear how the relaxed schedule worked for your family. I’m a major planner too but have promised my husband that our next trip will have a more relaxed pace than our last.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter