Winging it with No Dinning Plan! A Feb. Trip Report

Help Everyone! Life has been crazy lately! I am not even sure what is taking up all of my time, but it has been busy! I am hoping to get an update in later today. But I wanted to make sure I was all caught up on replying to everyone!

I did not get breakfast in bed so I'm a little envious.
It is Morgan's "thing" right now. So we will see if I get it again.

Morgan must have been thrilled to get to ride by herself...I'm sure in another 20 years when it becomes a necessity she won't be nearly as excited. :rotfl:
So very true! Maybe by then they will have upgraded it to something cooler and more fun! Wishful thinking? maybe....

thank you! I'm pretty good in photoshop, so I will give that a go. Love the idea of having a readily accessible reminder for FP!
I would love to see what you come up with! Please share if and when you finish one!

When Casey did it a few years back I kind of went the same route. I found a regular dress that was fancy and skewed princess rather than having her walk around in head to toe polyester all day :-)
Some of those girls look so hotting the polyester!

Wow look at that fierce face. She's so fancy, you don't even know....
I am in so much trouble...

3 times!!! Now that has to be some kind of WDW record.
Record for the silliest way to spend a morning? Don't get me wrong, the girls loved it and it def helped that we had "Just" been there in September. But I did feel like there were better things we could have done with ourselves that morning.

I don't know how I missed that this trip report was going! You comment on all of my posts! So sorry!!! I'm going to go get all caught up now on this one!
Ha! Take your time! It's hard to keep up sometimes and I don't know if there is really a good way to keep track of some of these reports.

I gotta go back and reread, I think i think i missed a post!
I just had that happen to me for another trip report.

We FINALLY made it to Sleepy Hallow for some late breakfast. We usually don't get anything here, since they don't take the dinning plan here. So, it was on our must to list.

So you know next time (and someone might have said this already) but if you are on the dining plan you can us a QS to get a Nutella waffle and a drink. They treat it like a breakfast meal. We did it on our last trip. We were going to buy it and asked if they took the dining plan and were told they do for QS.

I feel like it got dark fast! And I feel like Animal Kingdom as a whole needs better lighting! There are spots all over that just seem so dark!
There are definitely some dark parts in AK. Maybe just because they closed so early for so long. But they have been staying open late for 2 years now, so I guess this is the way they will keep it. Maybe part of it is for the animals.

But we had this as our view!

Not too bad, huh? And it is probably an interesting view for ROL.
I have heard of people watching from there.

And we got an order of onion rings, because well, just because... We all picked at those as well. They were good onion rings.
i think we got an order as well. I'm a sucker for onion rings. Actually I like onions on most things.

I would say overall, Flame Tree BBQ was just ok.
I'll agree. I like the Yak & Yeti QS better.

We decided to take a ride on Triceratop Spin since there was literally NO wait for it.
We always end up here at night at AK. And there is never any wait. And my boys just ride over and over again!

We LOVED riding it at night! It was so fun and really is almost a different ride at night. I loved it! It will now be a must do for us to ride at night.
EE is absolute awesome at night. So much so that I don't even care about riding it during the day really.

This picture cracks me up! The man in the back row... And then Morgan is just looking straight ahead cool as a cucumber.
:rotfl2:

the bus gods happened... One bus showed up just as we were getting in line. And I thought ok, at least one bus will fill up and leave. But THEN ANTOHER bus came and pulled up right in front of the other bus! They loaded the 1st bus with the folks in the front and then directed everyone to the second bus that pulled in 2nd. AND we managed to get on that bus. We had to stand but I didn't care! We waited only as long as it took for everyone to walk onto the buses. It was a Disney Bus Miracle!
:cool1:

We left our room this morning at 8:14am and were getting off the bus that night at 8:48pm! I was amazed that they made it all day! That I made it all day! needless to say, we went straight to the room and everyone went to bed!
Long, productive day! I think I would have headed straight to bed myself.

The girls checking out the goods.

Gwen was pleased with my choice!

Awww, they love them!!

Gwen of course decided she needed to try on her outfit.
Look at Miss Sassy!

After they got all of the excitement out of there system, we rushed to get ready and head out of the room. We some how managed to get out of the room at 7:45!
Props to you guys. We are so slow.....

So you know next time (and someone might have said this already) but if you are on the dining plan you can us a QS to get a Nutella waffle and a drink. They treat it like a breakfast meal. We did it on our last trip. We were going to buy it and asked if they took the dining plan and were told they do for QS.
Good to know! Although I am not sure if we will do the dinning plan next time or not. Morgan turned 10, so she would need to choose off of the adult menu and I am not sure she will want to all the time. Although I am temped with alchol now being included...

I'll agree. I like the Yak & Yeti QS better.
We haven't tried Yak & Yeti yet. Might need to be on my list for next time.

Props to you guys. We are so slow.....
I don't know... you guys got up and out most morning pretty ok!

Look at Miss Sassy!
That she is!

This is the Zoo's oldest turtle named Bubba. Bubba was Gwen's nickname when she was a baby
So funny. I have an Uncle that we call Bubba. Basically my aunt couldn't say brother when he was born. It came out Bubba. And it stuck!

she was a solid little bruiser of a toddler!
So funny. Will was too. He has slimmed down some but he's probably only 7 lbs lighter than AJ and there is 2.5 yrs between them.

And then this morning the girls and Andy made me breakfast. Gwen even decided to decorate my door, since I do that for there birthdays.
So sweet!

So, we went around the front again, and saw that the line was still pretty short. So, we got in line one more time.
So funny! My boys would love that.

But right before this Morgan rammed into us! Oye. There was a dad waiting on the ramp and saw and thought it was hilarious when he realized that it was our kids.
:rotfl2:

Hello Everyone!

It has been slow at work, so of course, I have started planning our next trip to fill the time! I really don't have much planned and it will be in 2019, so I can't book anything yet. But I can only talk to Andy about it so much before he starts to tune me out. So, if you are intrested, hop over to my PTR and give me some advise/opinions!

Split-Stay-Pallooza - Are we Crazy?!?! - A March/April PTR

I am really loving the fact that you are breaking down your food costs!! We always do the dining plan and this next trip I've decided just to bring the same amount of money with us as the dining plan would cost. Because we ALWAYS have tons of QS and Snack credits left over and we spend OOP money for TS meals. This way we should come out ahead. Especially since all of my kids are considered adults and I'm pretty sure two of them would be happy with kid meals a few times. And sharing at TS sit downs is something we would do. So I'm really interested in how it worked for you.

I am really loving the fact that you are breaking down your food costs!! We always do the dining plan and this next trip I've decided just to bring the same amount of money with us as the dining plan would cost. Because we ALWAYS have tons of QS and Snack credits left over and we spend OOP money for TS meals. This way we should come out ahead. Especially since all of my kids are considered adults and I'm pretty sure two of them would be happy with kid meals a few times. And sharing at TS sit downs is something we would do. So I'm really interested in how it worked for you
I am actually in the same boat as you for our next trip! Morgan just turned 10, so on the dinning plan she is considered an adult. And sometimes I think that sould work in our benefit and others not so much. But I am not sure about buffets, OOP? Would we have to pay adult buffet price at 10?

In regular life DH & I split meals alot, so it may work out to not to the plan anymore. But there is just something about doing the dinning plan that makes it feel carefree about the prices. Which I know is silly...

I am actually in the same boat as you for our next trip! Morgan just turned 10, so on the dinning plan she is considered an adult. And sometimes I think that sould work in our benefit and others not so much. But I am not sure about buffets, OOP? Would we have to pay adult buffet price at 10?

In regular life DH & I split meals alot, so it may work out to not to the plan anymore. But there is just something about doing the dinning plan that makes it feel carefree about the prices. Which I know is silly...

I don’t think that’s silly! We don’t use the plan cause toddlers don’t eat, but I love knowing I’ve already paid! I don’t have to think when I’m ordering, I just do it. We tend to use gift cards for dining, which makes it feel like we’ve prepaid, lol!

EE is absolute awesome at night. So much so that I don't even care about riding it during the day really.
I know!!! I am tempted to almost just plan a fairly late start at Animal Kingdom next time... And close it out.

We always end up here at night at AK. And there is never any wait. And my boys just ride over and over again!
It is good to know that you can get on a few last rides over there.

So funny. Will was too. He has slimmed down some but he's probably only 7 lbs lighter than AJ and there is 2.5 yrs between them.
He hides it well! He doesn't look it. Morgan is the same way, she is a solid gal right now. But I am hoping once she is a full on teenager she will level out.

So funny! My boys would love that.
Right? Parents, not so much... Luckily after the 3rd time, they were ok to move on.

I am really loving the fact that you are breaking down your food costs!! We always do the dining plan and this next trip I've decided just to bring the same amount of money with us as the dining plan would cost.
Probably a smart idea! I keep flip flopping on the whole dining plan thing!

Because we ALWAYS have tons of QS and Snack credits left over and we spend OOP money for TS meals.
I do kind of like having the left over Snack Credits and going into the Main Street Bakery and just getting a whole bunch of treats for at home! It is almost half the reason I want to do the plan again.

I don’t think that’s silly! We don’t use the plan cause toddlers don’t eat, but I love knowing I’ve already paid! I don’t have to think when I’m ordering, I just do it. We tend to use gift cards for dining, which makes it feel like we’ve prepaid, lol!
Gift Cards is a good idea! I will talk about it more over on my PTR but I am thinking maybe doing part of the stay, and plan the more $$$ meals then? Maybe...

You do pay adult price for buffet at 10. Stinks. Especially if you have one like me who eats a few chickens and bread and then gummy bears... :rotfl: Yeah totally worth the 50.00 we are paying. :eek: :confused3
Oye! Some of those buffets are going to be SUPER $$$ for my 10 year old! She eats well, but not THAT well! Oye!

Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

I hope everyone has some good plans and the weekend brings at least some good weather. Our pool club is opening up today, so we are headed there today as the rest of the weekend may be rainy. Boo!

I have literally tried to start this next post a hand full of times and then end up getting distracted or have to you know do stuff... So, I can't promise how big this post will be but I will post something!

Day Three: Splash'n with Talking Mickey!

So, I left us off with us finishing up our marathon riding on Tomorrowland Speedway. The girls wanted to go on Space Mountain but the wait was kind of long at this point. BUT when I was in the app I saw that Splash Mountain was OPEN!!! It had been closed when we were here in September and was to open up by the end of our trip. So, we headed over that way to ride Splash!

As we were walking over, we saw the Muppets show in Liberty Square. So, we stopped and watched the very end.

It was like maybe 2 minutes till the end of it. Andy and I def wanted to try and catch the whole show later in our trip. It is pretty cool to see real puppets! Sadly, we have tried to get the girls into the Muppets and they just don't seem interested.

We continued over to Splash Mountain. The wait said about 35 minutes but Andy and I said it was worth the wait, as it had been awhile since we had been on it. The girls weren't completely convinced but we got in line anyway.

Would we get wet?

I love this little house outside.

It has been awhile since we have waited in the stand by line for Splash, it is usually a fast pass attraction for us. The started right inside the main building.

I have the we got in line at 10:19 and were on the ride by 10:36, so not that bad of a wait at all. I was getting worried about our timing for getting over to see Talking Mickey and to our lunch reservation in time. But really at that point, it kind of was what it was.

Soon, though we were getting ready to board a log! It was still kind of cool this morning, and as we were waiting I was regretting our choice of riding this morning. But we were committed. I had everyone take off there coats, so we could put them back on after if we were cold.

We were on our way!

I love this ride! It is def one of my favorites! It's the perfect balance of story telling and thrill.

Moonshine anyone?

More tiny houses..

Another Family Log Selfie.

Inside the mountain.

An Action shot of me and Gwen bracing for the splash!

Andy decided to take a video of us going down the big drop.

We all look a little shocked by getting cold water thrown on us even though we knew it was going to happen! :confused3

Me and Gwen in our full wetness.

And then Andy and Morgan. I think they may have gotten wetter than me in Gwen in the front some how.

This is seriously Morgan's favorite part of the ride, getting "stuck" next to the waterfall. @cstorm65 - See, both girls are strategically placed closer to the waterfall!!!!!

Our ride photo! Not the best and not that "funny"...

Andy seriously got the wettest some how..

Sadly our ride was over and we needed to high tail it to the front of the park to go see Talking Mickey!!!!

I put Gwen on my back and we walked as fast as we could to the front of the park. Now, I don't know how long it takes most people to work there way from one side of the park to the other, but I have that we left Splash around 10:50 and made it to the Talking Mickey line around 11:20! That seems like a long time but I think that is from my last picture while on the ride and to my next picture actually in line.

We were all wet and now a little cold. So, I do think there was "whining" about being tired and cold on the walk over. We def needed to go back and rest after lunch!

We got in line with just a few people ahead of us in the fastness line. i think this might have been the first time Andy said "THIS is the fastness line?" It could have been my trip report name. Anytime there was a wait, Andy would say it. OYE!

It was 11:20 and we SHOULD have been AT The Plaza for our lunch reservation but I was determined to squeeze this in. I pulled out a few snacks for the girls to eat as they were HANGRY!

Once we were in the room where Mickey was, we could see all the cute details and stuff and that helped with there mood a smidge.

I thought this was cute.

The family in front of us had Mickey do a Magic Trick and the girls thought that was really cute. And I am glad we got to see it. Because... our Mickey "interaction" was a bit more boring.

The girls weren't sure of Mickey at first.

Finally, Gwen gave Mickey a hug!

And Morgan did too.

Look at Gwen's face in the side of this picture! She is TOTALLY NOT buying this talking mickey business.

Mickey brought us over to the picture area and said a few things about fighting Zurg or something. And then we got a picture.

And then we were done!

I made the girls pose by the big cards on the way out.

I am glad we did it. Mickey is no longer talking so it was def our last chance to do so. I can kind of see why they got rid of it. It is a little awkward waiting for him to talk. And We were a little disappointed that our conversation wasn't one of the more fun ones.

We were done with Talking Mickey at 11:30! Only 10 minutes, so that wasn't that bad and we only had a short walk up Main Street to get to the Plaza. So, I think we were only 10-15 minutes late. Not too bad.

Up next Lunch at The Plaza! I was very much looking forward to lunch here, would it be worth it?!?!

Last edited:
Day Three: The Plaza Lunch

There was one other family waiting when we got there. But we didn't wait too long. And when I checked in they didn't even say anything about us being late.

We were seated fairly soon and were seated right in front of the doors. Which wasn't the best since we were all still a little chilly. The hostess had on a warm looking jacket, so it was def still kind of cool. It wasn't the best table but I wasn't going to make a fuss, as we were all hungry!

Our waitress came over and I let the girls order milkshakes, which Morgan was super excitied about. She ended up ordering the Special shake of the day, a Chocolate Covered Strawberry Milkshake. Gwen had gone to the dark side, and wasn't making ANY decisions... So I ordered her a Mint Chocolate Chip Milk Shake to share with me.

While we waited the girls worked on the activity sheet that they were given.

Gwen drew baymax.

And so did Morgan.

They both thought it was funny that they drew Mickey Ears on him.

I snapped a few photos of the restaurant. It was really nice in there. But Small!!!

Not a fantastic photo, we really were in a weird location.

Soon, our milkshakes arrived. This is Morgan's Milkshake. It was REALLY good! It had real strawberry sauce in the bottom.

Morgan tasted it and gave it a big thumbs up!

Gwen and mine shakes. This was good but really just a milk shake.

Andy and I ordered the Plaza Fries as well.

Plaza Loaded Fries
French Fries topped with Melted Cheese, Bacon, Lettuce, Tomatoes, and Ranch Dressing

They don't look like much but they were good!!! And really just enough. We didn't need more than that.

We ordered our main meal at this time. Gwen was still being a nudge about picking something out, so I picked for her.

We ended up ordering Grilled Cheese for both of them.

I ordered Gwen's with Grapes. And it looked like they had given her half a pound of grapes!

Morgan asked for Tomato Soup with her Grilled Cheese. She really liked the Tomato Soup. She likes her tomato soup more creamy than tomato-y and with the chill outside, was perfect for her.

The grilled cheese was good. Nothing amazing about it but a solid grilled cheese. Morgan ended up filling up on the soup and milkshake, and Gwen ended up eating all of her grilled cheese and half of Morgan's.

I got the Fried Green Tomato Sandwich.

Fried Green Tomato Sandwich
A Deep-fried Green Tomato served with Bacon, Arugula, Tomato, and Pepper Jack Cheese topped with Alabama White Barbecue Sauce on a toasted Brioche Bun with choice of Seasonal Vegetables, Homemade Chips, or French Fries

I was sooooo looking forward to this! And it did not disappoint! Granted I AM NOT an expert on Fried Green Tomato. I DO NOT know what the standard is for them, so don't hold me to it. But I liked it! The tomato wasn't over breaded and the White BBQ Sauce was really good. I think I told them to hold the bacon and I don't think you need it on there.

Andy ordered the Mac n Cheese Brisket.

Baked Honey-Barbecued Brisket Mac & Cheese
Baked Pasta in Cheddar Cheese Sauce sprinkled with Crispy-fried Onions and Scallions topped with a Savory Barbecued Beef Brisket

He also really enjoyed this! The mac & cheese did seem a little dry but the brisket and BBQ sauce on it helped with that. He ate every last bite of it!

Gwen LOVED the hidden Mickey in the BBQ sauce.

We did not order dessert, the milkshakes and our meal filled us up big time! Our waitress did ask if we wanted a refill on either milkshake but there was no way we could.

Overall The Plaza was a great lunch, and I would love to come here again. The service was just ok, possibly a little slow but it was fine. I think if we were seated farther into the restaurant we would have felt more relaxed. Next time!

Andy settled the bill while I took the girls outside to use the bathroom. And then we headed out of the park. We ALL needed to rest for awhile.

The girls discovered that they could play with the bubbles while we waited. Although we didn't wait long. We were at the bus stop at 12:48 and on a bus at 12:52!

We all rested in the room. Since it was chilly, I said no swimming today. I really wanted them to rest.

We had a big night ahead!!!

Last edited:
Hello! :wave2: I am riveted by your trip report! I've read it cover to cover so far. You have such a lovely, fun family! Thanks for sharing, and I look forward to the rest! :thumbsup2

Gosh, you're always so good at convincing me to try restaurants. I've eaten at The Plaza, but it was a very long time ago. Since then, the menu and prices have updated and I've been on the fence about it. You're starting to curve me back toward giving it a try. You're good, Ariella, real good. 8-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter