Winter Olympics

Does it make anyone else nervous with how little space the skiers/ski jumpers/slope snowboarders have at the end of their course to come to a stop? Every single time I'm like, they're going to hit the wall! Yet they always manage to stop in time and not hit the wall. I guess that's what makes them Olympic athletes and me the person sitting on my couch watching the Olympic athletes, while eating chips.

Also, I love the Carnival ad with Shaq. It cracks me up every time I see it!

Nah, they can stop pretty fast, they're just using all the space they have. It's fun to see how much spray you can get on the snow when you stop. They have less space than that to stop at DD11's middle school ski team meets and I do get nervous with some of those kids. They aren't traveling at nearly Olympic speeds but they also don't have the stopping control that Olympians do. Not a single one of them has ever hit the wall but they all like taking as much space as possible and spraying their coaches while they're at it.

It is not a sport if:

1. Scoring is primarily decided by judges;
2. It requires a costume instead of a uniform;
3. Makeup and/or glitter are involved;
4. It is performed to music; or
5. You can smoke a cigarette while doing it.

If any of these apply it may be considered an athletic competition, performance art or an active hobby.

[/QUOTE]
It is not a sport if:

If any of these apply it may be considered an athletic competition, performance art or an active hobby.

So no gymnastics for you eh? LOL.

It is not a sport if:

True enough, but these are labeled as the Olympic Winter Games, not sports.

I'm not a really fan of judged competitions, and that eliminates probably at least 1/3 of the events being staged at P.F. Chang.

Does it make anyone else nervous with how little space the skiers/ski jumpers/slope snowboarders have at the end of their course to come to a stop? Every single time I'm like, they're going to hit the wall! Yet they always manage to stop in time and not hit the wall. I guess that's what makes them Olympic athletes and me the person sitting on my couch watching the Olympic athletes, while eating chips.

Also, I love the Carnival ad with Shaq. It cracks me up every time I see it!

Only the ski jumpers make me nervous. They have canoes on their feet. :rotfl2:

Only the ski jumpers make me nervous. They have canoes on their feet. :rotfl2:

Can't decide if I want to give the ski jumpers mad props or question their sanity -- I mean there's perfectly good stairs right next to them they can walk to get to an elevator to come down off that monster, why would they fling themselves off?

Can't decide if I want to give the ski jumpers mad props or question their sanity -- I mean there's perfectly good stairs right next to them they can walk to get to an elevator to come down off that monster, why would they fling themselves off?

I read an article yesterday that the us jumpers prefer to jump when they're jet lagged because exhaustion helps their bodies not resist the urge not to commit suicide. :rotfl2:

I read an article yesterday that the us jumpers prefer to jump when they're jet lagged because exhaustion helps their bodies not resist the urge not to commit suicide. :rotfl2:

I mean, if you have to trick your body into not resisting suicide then I think perhaps you should rethink your preferred past time. But, then again, people do things all the time that I would never bring myself to do. Why people want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane with a piece of cloth on their back I will never understand.

Call me weird, but I really enjoy biathlon. There’s such strategy - ski too hard and you’ll be out of breath & miss your targets. Ski too slow and you lose the race. And it’s such a goofy concept for a sport anyway! Loved seeing the 50th ranked guy take the silver!!

This is the first DH and myself have ever seen/heard of this sport. We loved it. It is very interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!