Wisdom teeth - older teen/young adult????

Heh, I failed at wisdom teeth.

I took a Xanax before the surgery. Unfortunately I took it too late and I was fully awake for the extraction and then zoned out afterwards!

Whoops...

What was super annoying is when they took me back to her in recovery and she was aware I was there she had something she was determined to tell me -- over, and over and over again, with a mouth packed with gauze. She continued to tell me all about it on the way home and when I tried to get the pudding and the medicine into her at home. She clearly was frustrated I was too dumb to understand her urgent message. By the time she woke up she had no clue what was so important to tell me.
Ugh! That's crazy.

Our drive home was pretty dicey, but no urgent messages, and at least the vomiting held off until after we walked in the door. With the next kid, I'm taking the PP's advice and bringing a bucket and towels just in case though.

On the up side, the leftover Zofran was a big help in college when he wasn't feeling well during an important exam!

All of my wisdom teeth were impacted, and I had them removed in my 20's. Everyone told me their horror stories, so I was expecting days from hell or worse. I slept most of the day after the procedure. I remember grumbling at my other half because he woke me up. (Clearly the meds I was taking for pain were doing their job.) But I was fine within 48 hours. As in - fine. No pain. Food was my friend again.

Medicine is never a one size fits all deal. I hope this goes smoothly for your child!

My 16-yo is having his out in a couple of weeks. His are all impacted and will be covered under medical insurance. We are using an oral surgeon and general anesthesia. When I had mine done, 2 were impacted and 2 were not. The two impacted were covered by medical insurance and the other two that were through were covered under dental insurance. That was a cluster to settle.

DS one impacted, others okay but told... pull them all out cause he won't return for the others if there's a change and didn't need them.
We did the one.
Had liquid first day, then soft foods for 1-2 days... then nothing. Mind you, he has had cavities filled with Nothing, yes Nothing... the first time the dentist was very nervous giving nothing but she went along with it. Second time he got liquid numbing no needle... so his tolerance is apparently fairly high.
Fast forward... 3 years later, no issues with others.
I just don't believe in removing Anything for Convenience...

Good luck to ur kiddo OP!

I had all 4 taken out when I was a jr in college. As a child, I had MANY teeth pulled, including 4 adult molars before my wisdom teeth. I have never recovered from any of them well, in the way that I always bleed for a long time afterwards. When I had my wisdom teeth out, I made sure I was put under because I have a terrible fear of surgery. I woke up afterwards and was completely aware and not loopy at all. I completely remember being very angry at my mom for making me get it done both before and after the surgery and telling her how much I hated her while flipping her off in the recovery room haha. Recovery definitely sucked, but wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The bleeding did last for a while, maybe 2 days, but after that it was fine. I never took the serious pain meds they gave me. I think the worst part for me was the gross mouthwash they give you and the fact that I could feel the stitches. That really made me squirm.

My dd had hers out in December when she was 15...let's just add the age+girl into that!

She would not wake up after surgery and told me she was mad that we kept waking her...um I needed her to walk to get in my car. Then she had to pee or throw up so we stopped at McDs 1/2 mile from the dentist and she peed which she does not remember. Then we went to Dunkin' Donuts so I could get her a smoothie since she wanted one but while I was in line again she felt the I want to puke vibe.

So I lined the toilet seat with paper towels so she wouldn't have to touch filth...and she proceeded to sit on the floor with her hands touching the floor and me screaming at her to get her hands off that filthy floor as she goes to touch her mouth....sigh...

We made it home, she slept, iced and medicated with Tylenol/Advil. The just ate liquids/soft foods for the first few days. By Monday she was eating a bit more (it was done on Friday) but she was still tired. She had pockets for a while too.

My DH had them out when he was 40ish...that was torture, think man cold! I had to stop on the way home since he wanted to puke.

I had them out when I was 18 and was eating eggs for lunch. I have a high tolerance for pain! I never took Advil or Tylenol past that first day. My mother said when I was 7 and had my tonsils out on the way home from the hospital I wanted a hamburger from mcdonalds.

Don't forget a bin for dribbling food/drink. No straws were allowed for like a week or two.

Thanks you all....
I was wondering about the Ibuprofen, and the nausea and any bleeding.
I am going to try to be 'out in front' of this and be prepared, with the best meds, approach, expectations....
NOT looking forward to this...
I haven't talked to DS yet, but I am sure that he is going to be anxious.

While it is not good seeing this girl have a rough recovery, it is also not good to have false 'easy' expectations!

ICE, ICE, ICE.....20 mins on and 20 mins off. Do this as much as he can stand it for a few days. It helps with keeping the swelling and pain down.

My dd had hers out in December when she was 15...let's just add the age+girl into that!

She would not wake up after surgery and told me she was mad that we kept waking her...um I needed her to walk to get in my car. Then she had to pee or throw up so we stopped at McDs 1/2 mile from the dentist and she peed which she does not remember. Then we went to Dunkin' Donuts so I could get her a smoothie since she wanted one but while I was in line again she felt the I want to puke vibe.

So I lined the toilet seat with paper towels so she wouldn't have to touch filth...and she proceeded to sit on the floor with her hands touching the floor and me screaming at her to get her hands off that filthy floor as she goes to touch her mouth....sigh...

We made it home, she slept, iced and medicated with Tylenol/Advil. The just ate liquids/soft foods for the first few days. By Monday she was eating a bit more (it was done on Friday) but she was still tired. She had pockets for a while too.

My DH had them out when he was 40ish...that was torture, think man cold! I had to stop on the way home since he wanted to puke.

I had them out when I was 18 and was eating eggs for lunch. I have a high tolerance for pain! I never took Advil or Tylenol past that first day. My mother said when I was 7 and had my tonsils out on the way home from the hospital I wanted a hamburger from mcdonalds.

Don't forget a bin for dribbling food/drink. No straws were allowed for like a week or two.
:eek: Eeewww!

My DD was crying in the car when I told her I was going to pick up some Brigham's Vanilla Ice Cream. "Noooooooooooo! I don't want vanillllllaaaaaaaa! I want cookieeee doughhhhhhhh!" I mean, tears were rolling down her face! :lmao:

Man, my DD was no fun. No crazy stories to share, just seemed really stoned without the munchies. Her tops were coming in normal but her bottoms were growing in sideways. She had the option to just do the bottom two and wait and see on the top or do them all. She chose to do them all. She slept most of the day and ate (w/a spoon) about a quarter of the milkshake I bought her later that night. Said it was the best thing ever. They gave her Percocet and I think she took two or three over two days. She hated them. Was back to work on day four. About a week later she was having some pain so they called in some 800s for her. And that was that pretty much.

I had 3 impacted wisdom teeth removed at age 28. I had surgery on a monday and was off work for the rest of the week. The other tooth had been removed earlier at the dentist, I had the impacted ones removed at the oral surgeon. I had my mum take me to my appointment and bring me home. She stayed at my house until DH got home (Only a couple of hours ). Not a bad pain wise. I had Tylenol 3 and 400MG Advil to alternate for the first 2 days. I slept most of the time. I had gel ice packs which worked great, definitely helped with the pain. No dry socket complications. Had stack of movies I had watched numerous times before so I could watch/ sleep. Felt fine by day 3, but not well enough to work all day.

It really seems to vary tremendously from person to person. My son had his out last summer. 2 at a time a few weeks apart. All impacted.
Just local anesthetic (putting someone out is not a common practice for wisdom tooth extraction in Germany).

He felt totally fine and wanted to go out to and hada hamburger the night of hte first extraction. I was stunned as the most pain I have ever experienced was while recovering from having my impacted wisdom teeth out at age 24.

My oldest had theirs out last Christmas. Also impacted and more deeply so we had to go into the oral surgeon's office for it--still only local, not out for it at all. All four at once as we were trying to get it done duing school break. A bit sore and stuck to soft foods, and ice pakcs to reduce swelling for a couple of days--but also no major pain and 600mg tylenol was the most they gave them for pain killers and really all that was needed.

I hope things go so easily for your son.

My 19 yo Ds needs his wisdom tooth out. It is impacted. The dentist was able to pull one last year- it was no big deal, done while DS was in the chair already and no big pain afterwards. This one needs an oral surgeon and he is freaking out. He's worried about having the bloody gauze afterwards, he gags when taking xrays, he hates the dentist. He doesnt want the other 2 out, just the one that's hurting. This is a kid that is going into the healthcare field- not dentistry!

I'll let you know how my daughter makes out

I hope everything goes well for your daughter. DD 15 is scheduled to have all 4 removed next month. I waited too long to have mine removed and it was brutal. So while I am a little nervous for my daughter to have the surgery, I am relieved she won't have the problems that come with letting them get bad.

My oldest DD had hers out at 18 and had no issues with the procedure. However, on the way home from the procedure she tried to jump out of the car to chase Leprechauns. Then she keep repeating that she was born from a flower.

My youngest is getting hers out next week and I have plans to make her sit in the middle seat on the way home.

My oldest DD had hers out at 18 and had no issues with the procedure. However, on the way home from the procedure she tried to jump out of the car to chase Leprechauns. Then she keep repeating that she was born from a flower.

My youngest is getting hers out next week and I have plans to make her sit in the middle seat on the way home.

Whoa, I guess I got off easy with mine just determined to tell me something I couldn't understand. Maybe I'll staple my youngest to the seat on the way home from hers.

I hope everything goes well for your daughter. DD 15 is scheduled to have all 4 removed next month. I waited too long to have mine removed and it was brutal. So while I am a little nervous for my daughter to have the surgery, I am relieved she won't have the problems that come with letting them get bad.

Thanks, I hope your daughter's goes well also.

Hi, I thought I'd just come back and report on how my daughter faired yesterday. She was a bit nervous about the anesthesia as she'd never had it before.

She came out of it crying and pretty upset. The nurses said this was common. I heard another girl crying as well so I guess so.

When they let me back to see her she was in some pain. She couldn't really talk but was able to write it down. They gave her something for the pain and I got her calmed down. She would have really liked an ice pack for her face but made do with my cold hands.

She was fine once we got home and hasn't had anything besides ibuprofen. She doesn't really need it for pain but it helps with swelling. Last night she feasted on carvel ice cream and mashed potatoes. Today she's up and around and wants to go out tomorrow.

Hope you daughter fairs well. My only recommendation is to bring an ice pack with you just in case.

Had mine out summer after Freshman year in college. All 4, impacted. Typical surgery with no issues.

The first two days were no fun, but I just slept for the most part. Very little food, I think I remember eating mashed potatoes from KFC.

4 days after surgery I started my new summer job. Anyone remember TCBY? My cheeks were still a little swollen, but I was ok. (Thankfully, unlike my sister, I didn't get dry sockets). I do remember the frozen yogurt feeling good on my gums though. ;)

I had Percocet, didn't use after day 2. Advil worked for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts