Wisdom teeth

redberyl

DIS Veteran
Going to Disney next month with my two special needs kids, both will be in strollers. I have made plans to bring my 17 year old niece along as a mothers helper. I just found out she will be having her wisdom teeth removed 5 days prior to our trip. Do you think she will be recovered in time to help out, or should I make alternate plans? Don't want to end up with another minor who needs me to be taking care of her, instead of her helping me out with my own kids

When I had my first wisdom tooth out I traveled the next day on business trip (with a sprained ankle in an airboot). When I had two more out years later I had no issues. If she pays attention to the post op instructions all should be well.

I’d suggest checking with the dentist/oral surgeon who will be removing the wisdom teeth.
If it’s a simple removal, she might be just fine as long as she follows the post op instructions carefully.
If it’s more complicated, the recovery time might be increased.

A lot can happen so it's impossible to predict. I was down for the count for at least 3 days just super sick from the anesthesia and in significant pain still after that. A friend of mine got dry sockets and an infection and spent a couple weeks clearing up those issues. I also know quite a few people who had their original surgery postponed because of a dental emergency and had to go in up to a week later.

I'm not sure I'd take a chance and count on her to be fine 5 days post surgery.

My Dd had 2 taken out 2 weeks ago and went out to the movies with friends the next day. She had the next 2 taken out last week and is still not feeling well.

When I had mine out it was four simple extractions, and was no big deal. I actually drove myself home from the dentist. When DW had hers out it was oral surgery and a VERY big deal. She passed out in the kitchen floor. It can vary GREATLY.

Going to Disney next month with my two special needs kids, both will be in strollers. I have made plans to bring my 17 year old niece along as a mothers helper. I just found out she will be having her wisdom teeth removed 5 days prior to our trip. Do you think she will be recovered in time to help out, or should I make alternate plans? Don't want to end up with another minor who needs me to be taking care of her, instead of her helping me out with my own kids
I think this depends on the person my mom had hers out and she went on a date that night to the local fair and was fine, me, on the other hand, I could not keep anything down for about 6 days almost had to go to the DR due to dehydration. can you move your trip back a week or two.

As others have said, it all depends. All 4 of mine were impacted. I was out of commission for a week. And by out of commission, I mean not eating and almost passing out any time I spent any amount of time on my feet. I've had other teeth removed with no issues, but those were simple extractions.

My children were glad to take it easy for at least three - five days with normal extractions. Depends mostly on how complicated the surgery is. May not know until the day. A lot of them are impacted which makes you under anesthesia longer and recovery longer.

Definitely check with dentist. Airplane flights may be a problem (pressure, stitches). Also, be aware that you will need written permission if taking your niece out of state, and also permission to make medical decisions. EMT and hospital personnel are not allowed to treat minors without custodial parental permission, unless under life and death scenarios.

I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed under general anesthesia since they were all impacted. The surgery and my recovery went about as perfect as it can (minus the first day where I found out anesthesia makes me sick since it was my first time under general). I had zero pain, but I was so swollen I couldn't fully close my mouth for almost a week. I also had stitches that had to be removed at some point after the surgery.

Definitely get more information on the extent of her wisdom teeth removal and the expected recovery from the dentist/oral surgeon. 5 days after might be too soon if it is all four teeth at once and they're badly impacted.

As pp's have said it varies greatly - my two dd's had very different experiences.

If your niece is really excited to go and there is no pain or complications now ask there is the possibility of delaying the extraction - I know we were offered several options maybe the mom just wasn't considering everything? Otherwise I would see if you can postpone so she can still join you or bring someone else to help.

I had to get a wisdom teeth removed as an emergency 4 days before I was scheduled 14 hours to fly to Shanghai last month. Dentist stitched it up and loaded me up on antibiotics to prevent any infection. She cleared me to go and I had no issues to and from Shanghai.

. Also, be aware that you will need written permission if taking your niece out of state, and also permission to make medical decisions. .

I often travel to other states with my minor nieces. I have never had to show written permission to travel with them. We often go by car. Who would we show it to? There isn't anyone checking at the border.

Also, when we fly the girls are sometimes asked who they are traveling with. They usually respond with "My Aunt." The TSA agent just looks at me and smiles. No one has ever asked for a form.

I do bring a notarized medical treatment form from their Mom just in case.

I often travel to other states with my minor nieces. I have never had to show written permission to travel with them. We often go by car. Who would we show it to? There isn't anyone checking at the border.

Also, when we fly the girls are sometimes asked who they are traveling with. They usually respond with "My Aunt." The TSA agent just looks at me and smiles. No one has ever asked for a form.

I do bring a notarized medical treatment form from their Mom just in case.
That may be true of car travel, but for flying, the TSA can ask and refuse travel if something seems suspicious. The horrendous increase in human trafficking is to blame. Better safe than sorry. Since they need to get the medical permission notarized, they might as well do the permission to travel done too.

That may be true of car travel, but for flying, the TSA can ask and refuse travel if something seems suspicious. The horrendous increase in human trafficking is to blame. Better safe than sorry. Since they need to get the medical permission notarized, they might as well do the permission to travel done too.

That is not the job of the TSA - TSA only cares that the name on the boarding pass matches the name of the passenger. I have traveled with my nieces and my kids friends quite often for various reasons and never ever has anyone been asked who they are traveling with or why.

You also don't need a medical note anymore - just the medical card, in the case of emergency parents or guardians will be contacted by phone and a letter of any sort will be disregarded.

A 17yo will (should) have her own ID and since many teens that age travel alone its unlikely the TSA will look twice.

My son just had his removed a few months ago and his were fully impacted. Our oral surgeon said no travel but I can't recall for how long. (since we weren't going anywhere I didn't pay too much attention to that part) but around day 4 my son was in a LOT of pain and turns out he had a dry socket! OUCH! He had done everything he had been told to do and not to do in order to avoid this but it happened anyway. We had to make two more trips back to the office for it to be dealt with.

Sorry, you are completely wrong. The only time TSA cares about who minor children are traveling with is when they are traveling internationally. For domestic travel, any adult can travel with any minor, no questions asked. I’m guessing you have zero experience with air travel and/or traveling with kids.

My son flew to Disney for his Senior trip less than a week after getting two teeth extracted. He was completely fine. Now that said, it can vary a great deal from individual to individual. As for traveling with a minor that isn't yours, that's pretty much only an international thing, and even then it's under fifteens that tend to be an issue.

One of my kids had a complication about 5 days post-op and his face blew up on that side. Had to take him into see the doc right away.
Any chance your niece can have the surgery moved earlier or later by a week or two?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts