WISH Away the Pounds--Healthy Recipe Thread (new title)

Rose&Mike

DIS Veteran
apple cinnamon breakfast cookies (pamela's apple cinnamon breakfast cookies)--post #23
Apple Pie Oatmeal--Post #104
Asian chicken lettuce wraps--post #62
Aunt Susan muffins--post #133
baked mozzarella sticks--post #90
banana pumpkin breakfast shake(from pinterest)--post #147
bbq chicken mini tacos--post #90
beef burgundy (new beef burgundy)--post #65
beef vegetable pie ww--post #76
bobotie (south african meat pie)--post #87
buffalo chicken bites--post #90
butternut squash soup--post #79
cakes--ww 2 ingredient--post #57 and post #120
change it up breakfast bowl--post #127
cheesecake (no bake graham cracker cheesycake-sparkpeople, sub. By want2bfatfree)--post #24
chicken broccoli ziti--post #65
chicken ratatouille stew--post #152
chicken tortilla soup--post #52
Cinnamon Toast pancakes--post #112
coleslaw - tangy with a peppery bite (1c svg)--post #6
creamy pineapple coconut pie--post #41
crockpot (easy) chile verde pork--post # 38
crockpot pineapple chicken and sweet potatoes--post #20
crockpot rosemary roasted chicken with vegetables--post #35
crockpot (semi) hamburger soup--post #36
crockpot recipe--#75
crustless quiche--post #5
curried carrot soup--post #88
curried chicken (heidi's curried chicken)--post #21
easy mexican chicken soup--post #43
hot spinach and artichoke dip (from skinnytaste.com)--post #89
impossibly easy vegetable pie--post #39
jennie-o biggest loser black bean turkey chili--post #59
Kale and Mushroom soup--post #116
Layered Ratatouille--Post #105
LINDA'S LIGHTENED-UP APPLE CRISP--post #111
loaded turkey santa fe baked potato skins--post #90
low carb coconut pie--post #134
mexicali chicken--post #42
mini frittatas with ham and cheese from cooking light--post #10
moroccan couscous salad (inspired by the moroccan pavilion at epcot)--post #64
no name vegan stew--post #83
open faced tomato sandwiches--post #33
pea soup and grilled cheese (adapted from everyday food)--post #2
pepper and tomato soup--post #3
pork chops & rice --post #73
pork stew--post #92
Provencal beef stew--post #155
Pumpkin Pie Quinoa Breakfast Casserole--Post #113
Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oats in the Crockpot--Post #104
pumpkin spice muffins--post #48
Quinoa with Black Beans--post #114
red white & green chili--post #80
roasted butternut squash soup--post #49
roasted eggplant spread--post #126
salmon cakes (lucas' light salmon cakes)--post #22
shrimp orzo pasta salad--post #101
slow cooker cheeseburger soup--post #82
spinach, potato and onion frittata--post #47
summer corn chowder--post #122
sunset favorite onion soup--post #153
sweet autumn chicken and vegetables--post #44
sweet and sour lentils--post #150
sunrise spice muffins--post #40
Tarka Dal (Recipe from Foolproof Indian Cookery by Madhur Jaffrey)--post #154
thin crust pizza--post #17
Trout Cakes w/lemon and Horseradish Cream--Post #108
tuna salad --post #85
Ultimate onion rings (from ww)--post #121
vegetarian lasagna--post #25
warm asian lettuce wraps--post #99
whole wheat pizza crust (earthbound organics)--post #140

Pea-Soup and Grilled Cheese--adapted from Everyday Food

1 T salt-free butter (next time I'll use olive oil)
6 green onions
30-40 ounces of frozen green peas
1 can veggie broth (low sodium)
1/2 diced red pepper
white cheddar cheese slices (I used Boar's Head)
bread of choice (we used ciabatta rolls, because they are a treat and we love them!)

Dice the onions, separating the whites from the greens. Saute the white onions and the diced red pepper in the olive oil until softened. Add peas, broth, and 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Simmer until peas are tender.

With a slotted spoon put most of the peas and a little bit of broth in the blender until smooth. Return to pot and continue to heat on low.

Make the grilled cheese with the cheddar and green onions. We make our grilled cheese on the George Forman with no butter or oil on the bread. (This is how I can justify eating the cheese.)

Season the soup with salt and pepper and served with grilled cheese.

This soup is really yummy. It serves 4-6. The peas make it almost sweet. The original recipe called for chicken stock and lemon juice (instead of the red pepper). I loved it with the red pepper. It's creamy without adding cream. And it tastes great with the grilled cheese and green onion sandwiches!

Pepper and Tomato Soup

3 red peppers
1/2 yellow onion
2 leeks
1 small jar of roastd red peppers drained
1 can of diced tomatoes (16 ounce)
2 cups of chicken stock (I use low sodium, low fat)

Clean leeks (slice off the green parts. Cut down the middle almost to the root end. Run under water to clean out the grit). Chop leeks, peppers and onion into chunks. They don't have to big small since you are going to be pureeing the soup. Spray the bottom and sides of a 2 to 3 quart pot. Put in the cut up veggies and cook until soften. YOu don't want any color on them

When the veggies are soft add the roasted red peppers, tomatoes and chicken stock. Simmer over med low heat for an hour. You could also make it in a crock pot and cook for 2 to 4 hours. When done, puree in a blender or food processor or immersion blender.

This soup is hot but I like it chilled and I take it for lunch. It is a great way to get in some extra veggies.

I don't have a recipe to share right now but wanted to say thanks, Rose, for starting and maintaining this thread for us! :love:

pjlla, I have a request for your chicken curry recipe, please. :goodvibes

If anyone sees MelanieC we could use her tahini recipe, too.

This is the basic quiche that I make - 1 quiche is around 850 calories plus whatever the calories for the veggies or meat that I add--I like this cause I can have a whole 1/4 of the pie :) which is quite filling. We have chickens so I use whole eggs--but you could reduce calories with those egg beater things. You could also use reduced cal cheese--but I don't like that either - and it just feels so 'luxurious' to have real cheese :)

Mix 6 eggs with 1 C milk (I use nonfat or 1%)
Spray grease your pie pan--I use a 10" pan
Fill your pan with veggies and anything else you want to have in it (see below)
Spread 3/4 C cheese (whatever kind you want--the sharper the better) over the veggies.
Pour the egg/milk mixture over the veggie and cheese
Bake in a 350 degree oven until it is no longer shiny and until a knife comes out clean when inserted (usually about 35-45 minutes)

Veggies - I love to grill mushrooms and onions
Or any shredded squash, chopped broccoli
Oh - I love using the small packages of canadian bacon--tons of nummy taste for not a lot of calories per serving.

It's great warmed up for breakfast or lunch the next day

Enjoy!

My sister shared this with me--because I love coleslaw from KFC--I changed it a bunch and like what I have now. I can have a whole cup of it for less than 100 calories (91.7 by sparkpeople's calculator)!!

4 Cups green cabbage - chopped very small
3 Cups red cabbage - chopped very small
1 Cup shredded carrot - chopped very small
1/2 Cup onion - minced (I use rehydrated ones)
1/3 Cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper (I use more than this usually--we like it peppery)
1/2 Cup buttermilk
1/3 Cup nonfat milk
1/4 Cup plain yogurt
1/4 Cup light Mayo (or FF)
2 1/2 Tbl white wine vinegar
3 Tbl lemon juice

Combine the chopped/minced cabbage, carrots, and onions in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl combine the rest of the ingredients and mix until smooth--pour mixture over the veggies.
Stir well to mix and chill for at least 1 hour.

Makes approx 8 Cups - I like 1 C svgs - but can do smaller serving sizes if you want.

You can add other raw vegetables (shredded jicama, beets, red peppers, squash, etc.) as wanted. For kids I will usually go with less onion and pepper.

Number of Servings: 8

happysmyly--Is the quiche 850 calories for the entire quiche? And how many servings? It sounds good!

happysmyly--Is the quiche 850 calories for the entire quiche? And how many servings? It sounds good!

Yeppers - it's 850 for the WHOLE Quiche!! And you'll be less than that is you use the egg beaters or low fat cheese. It's because it's crustless - and the crust is what kills you with quiche.

Plus whatever veggies or meat you add. I use canadian bacon or chopped up turkey sausages or chopped up Morning Star sausages for lower calories but higher flavor meats. Veggies - anything you want to add is great.

Servings? Well - I like to cut it into 4ths--so that I can have it with a large salad or a double serving of steamed broccoli--which is my favorite side with it - since DH doesn't like the quiche with broccoli in it.

I don't have a recipe to share right now but wanted to say thanks, Rose, for starting and maintaining this thread for us! :love:

pjlla, I have a request for your chicken curry recipe, please.
:goodvibes

If anyone sees MelanieC we could use her tahini recipe, too.

Give me a couple of days and I will get it here. I could attempt to do it from memory, but I'm afraid I might make a crucial mistake!! I just made it on Monday, so you might think I would remember it! I'll try to remember to get here after I return from NYC...............P

Thanks, Pamela! We could probably find it in a search, too, since I know you've posted it before for us -- it will be nice to have it in a place that we can find! :lmao:

happlysmly, your quiche recipe reminds me of this recipes for Mini Frittatas with Ham and Cheese from Cooking Light that we like -- 39 calories a frittata.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 3 frittatas)

Ingredients
Cooking spray
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2/3 cup chopped reduced-fat ham (about 2 ounces)
1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
4 large egg whites
1 large egg
Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°.

Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add ham; sauté 3 minutes. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes. Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add ham mixture, stirring with a whisk. Spoon mixture into 24 miniature muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350°for 20 minutes or until set.

Nutritional Information
Calories:39 (30% from fat)
Fat:1.3g (sat 0.5g,mono 0.2g,poly 0.1g)
Protein:4.4g
Carbohydrate:2.3g
Fiber:0.4g
Cholesterol:32mg
Iron:0.2mg
Sodium:121mg
Calcium:80mg
Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2001

Here is a link if you want to see a picture. http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=521726

Lisa - those sound fabulous--will definitely try them soon... do they freeze well? They sound like the perfect thing to have in the freezer for those crazy mornings - and easy to grab and go--which is key for DH. If you don't know - that's OK--I'll try it out and report here :)

Lisa - those sound fabulous--will definitely try them soon... do they freeze well? They sound like the perfect thing to have in the freezer for those crazy mornings - and easy to grab and go--which is key for DH. If you don't know - that's OK--I'll try it out and report here :)

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that question, Liz. I think they would freeze well because those little miniquiches that you get frozen from Costco are good. I only have one mini muffin pan so only make one batch. I'm sure it would be good to make extra for those crazy mornings. I'll look forward to your report! :goodvibes

My stomach is rumbling now! :goodvibes I'll have to think of what I can post here...one of my absolute favorites I got from tigger813...I get the General Tso's spice package, grill my chicken then cut it up and add the seasoning mix; I substitute splenda for sugar. It's still on the high side for sodium but yummm!!! :lovestruc I like it better than our local Chinese place. I even make it so I can have it for lunches and hide it from my famillly:rolleyes1

My stomach is rumbling now! :goodvibes I'll have to think of what I can post here...one of my absolute favorites I got from tigger813...I get the General Tso's spice package, grill my chicken then cut it up and add the seasoning mix; I substitute splenda for sugar. It's still on the high side for sodium but yummm!!! :lovestruc I like it better than our local Chinese place. I even make it so I can have it for lunches and hide it from my famillly:rolleyes1

Where do you get the spice package. I've heard a couple of people mention it. Do you think it would make a good stir fry without the meat? We like noodle bowls, and would love an easy way to make one up!

I do think it would be good without the meat! I get it at Meijer. It's the only place I've found it here. Wal-Mart, Target, and Marsh don't carry it. It's in the Asian foods section in a yellow packet and I think there's a sun on it. I'll check the brand for you. I tried their fried rice and wasn't fond of it, but I LOVE the hot and sour soup mix -I add extra mushrooms to mine.

I do think it would be good without the meat! I get it at Meijer. It's the only place I've found it here. Wal-Mart, Target, and Marsh don't carry it. It's in the Asian foods section in a yellow packet and I think there's a sun on it. I'll check the brand for you. I tried their fried rice and wasn't fond of it, but I LOVE the hot and sour soup mix -I add extra mushrooms to mine.

thanks! We have a Meijer near us.

This is Friday and for some reason I always think of having pizza on Fridays. Here's what I do lately...

For each person take a whole wheat tortilla (or pita if you like a more chewy crust) (I use Costco's high fiber tortilla that is 80 calories and 12 gms fiber)

Put the 'crust' in the oven right on the rack and cook at 350 for a few minutes--don't let it get brown - just til it starts to firm up a bit

Spread a sauce on it--I use either a spaghetti sauce (Hunts mushroom is 40 calories for 1/2 C) or BBQ or Ranch dressing--depending on what kind of pizza you're making

Then put your toppings on - lots of veggies, of course...

Top with a little bit of cheese--whatever your day can handle calorie wise and bake at 350 until the cheese is melted

Variations that we like:
Grilled onions and mushrooms, a few chopped black olives with italian cheeses

Ranch dressing sprinkled with garlic powder or minced garlic - covered with chunks of cooked chicken, tomatoes, green onions (my DH also puts bacon bits on his) with italian cheeses

BBQ chicken - I will shred cooked chicken in the morning and let it soak in BBQ sauce all day (just enough to wet it down). Then spread just a hint of sauce on the tortilla before baking - then put the BBQ chicken, thinly sliced red onions (I sometimes grill these ahead of time), italian cheeses or just mozzarella

Enjoy!!

Bumping to keep this in the active threads. I will post a link in the summer challenge thread, too. :cool2:

As promised--here is a great recipe that I recently made for a group of women at church for a crockpot/freezer meal class... this was the one that they all liked the best--even those that normally don't like sweet potatoes. Enjoy!

1/2 C flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp pepper
2 lbs chicken breast – cut into chunks
3 C sweet potatoes – peeled and sliced/chunked
1 can cm chicken soup
1 can pineapple tidbits or chunks with juice
½ lb mushrooms – sliced
2 tsp brown sugar

Crockpot Directions –
This makes 8 servings
Combine flour and spices in large bowl – thoroughly coat chicken in flour mixture.
Place sweet potatoes on bottom of slow cooker.
Top with floured chicken chunks.
Drain pineapple - keep juice.
Combine soup, juice, leftover flour mixture, brown sugar, stir well. Mix in mushrooms and pineapple – pour soup mixture over chicken.
Cook on LOW 6-8 hours (or high 3-4 hours).
Serve over cooked rice (not included in calculation).

Makes 8 servings - 279 Calories, Fat 4 gms, Carbs 32 gms, Fiber 2.2 gms, Protein 29 gms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter