WISH Away the Pounds--Healthy Recipe Thread (new title)

Pamela I'd be interested in the PPV if you don't mind? Haven't re-joined ww but trying to stick to the programme on my own as I liked the style of it the last time I was a member and had some success :)

Pamela I'd be interested in the PPV if you don't mind? Haven't re-joined ww but trying to stick to the programme on my own as I liked the style of it the last time I was a member and had some success :)

Just added it to the original recipe post!..............P

Here is the pizza crust recipe I promised. It is courtesy of Earthbound Organics.

Whole Wheat Pizza Crust

Prep Time: 1h 30m | Total Time: 1h 30m |

Recipe makes enough dough for one 12-inch medium-thick crust for a pizza that serves 4, or for about 4 thin-crust individual-size pizzas.

Ingredients

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 package Quick-rising yeast
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
2/3 cup warm water

Directions
In a large mixing bowl combine whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, yeast, honey and salt.
Mix in water. If necessary, add additional water 1 tablespoon at a time until pizza dough comes together.
Transfer dough onto a slightly floured surface and knead 10-12 times until it forms a smooth ball.
Place pizza dough into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a kitchen towel. Place in a warm space for 1 hour to rise. (The microwave works well as a resting place for the dough.
The dough will double in size while resting. Punch the dough down and transfer it to a lightly floured surface. (At this stage, the dough can be frozen for up to 2 months and thawed when ready to roll out.)
Roll out the pizza dough on parchment paper for easy baking.

**** This was part of a larger post for their pizzetta pizza so I had to go searching there for the cooking instructions. After topping it, they cooked it at 425° for 8-10 minutes. I rolled mine out fairly thin and cooked it about 9 minutes. I would have liked it a bit crispier, but DS liked it just fine. That being said, I think I might pre-cook it a bit next time I make it. I also used a combo unbleached white flour and whole wheat (so about 50/50) and it was just fine.

If anyone would like me to check the PPV for WW, I will do so.... I haven't done that yet for myself...................P

ETA: Just did this recipe in the WW etools recipe builder. Works out to the 19 PPV for the entire crust and 5 pts per serving when you consider the crust 4 servings. That being said, I easily ate about 1/3 of the pizza I made to share with DS.

Okay.... just made this tonight for DS and put it on the grill (since my oven is still out in the garage). I put it on parchment on a preheated grill turned down to medium and set the timer for 4:30 and it was done! Another minute and I fear it would have been overdone. The crust was just getting a bit dark around the edges where the parchment had burned away. I asked DS if he thought that the top was done enough (the cheese was well melted but not browned) and he said it was fine. I had a small sliver to try it and it was DELICIOUS! Much tastier and crispier than when I put it in the oven last week. WINNER!!

He just came and told me...."Mom.... you make some dang good pizza!!"" WOOHOO! :rotfl: ..............P

Okay.... just made this tonight for DS and put it on the grill (since my oven is still out in the garage). I put it on parchment on a preheated grill turned down to medium and set the timer for 4:30 and it was done! Another minute and I fear it would have been overdone. The crust was just getting a bit dark around the edges where the parchment had burned away. I asked DS if he thought that the top was done enough (the cheese was well melted but not browned) and he said it was fine. I had a small sliver to try it and it was DELICIOUS! Much tastier and crispier than when I put it in the oven last week. WINNER!!

He just came and told me...."Mom.... you make some dang good pizza!!"" WOOHOO! :rotfl: ..............P

Just wanted to say I can now officially verify that your son is right!! Cooked this under the grill last night and everyone loved it (well except youngest who wont eat pizza). Thanks for this recipe and pointing it all out Pamela - very easy to make and quick to cook if crust pre-prepared :thumbsup2 Will make double the next time and freeze half. Thanks again:)

Just wanted to say I can now officially verify that your son is right!! Cooked this under the grill last night and everyone loved it (well except youngest who wont eat pizza). Thanks for this recipe and pointing it all out Pamela - very easy to make and quick to cook if crust pre-prepared :thumbsup2 Will make double the next time and freeze half. Thanks again:)

You are SO welcome!!..............P

Here is the promised smoothie recipe. This is how I found it on Pinterest....

Banana Pumpkin Breakfast Shake
Prep Time: 10 minutes

CREDIT: http://dineanddish.net/2013/08/dessert-for-breakfast-recipe-banana-pumpkin-breakfast-shake/

Ingredients

1 banana
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup milk
4 Tablespoons honey (or 2 Tablespoons brown sugar)
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2-3 cups ice (depending on how thick you want your shake)
whipped cream granola for garnish

Instructions

Place all ingredients except whipped cream and granola in a blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into two tall milkshake glasses.
Top with whipped cream and granola.

Here is MY version of this.........

Pam's Pinterest Hacked Pumpkin Smoothie

1 C canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)

1 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk

1/2 banana (or a whole banana if desired)

2 Tb. plain nonfat greek yogurt

sweetener of choice (I used Splenda once and stevia once, but I think maple syrup would be delicious!)

1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (or a dash each of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves)

1 C crushed ice

Instructions:

Place everything except ice in the blender and begin to pulse. (It was so thick that my blender had trouble at first.) Add ice slowly until you reach your desired consistency (for me that was about 1/2 C of ice). Serve immediately.

*I didn't use the yogurt the first time and I'm glad I did this time.... it really helped with the creaminess! I consider this ONE serving, but it could easily serve two as part of a larger meal or as a snack.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is the frustrating part. As you BUILD this smoothie in the WW recipe builder, the only thing that actually has a PPV is the almond milk (1 PPV), but when all is said and done the entire recipe builds out at 5 PPV !!! (That is with just 1/2 banana and Splenda.) I KNOW it is because the only fruit you can count as ZERO is whole fruit.... but it still seems wonky. On the "old" Points system this would work out to be 2-3 Points (1 for the 1/2 banana, 1 for the almond milk and maybe 1 for the yogurt.... hard to figure out the Points in such a small serving). It is one of the situations where the "free fruit" doesn't really benefit you at all!

Anyhow, FWIW, this is pretty tasty and tastes like FALL! ....................P

curried carrot soup

teaspoon butter/olive oil
400g sliced carrots
200g sliced onions
1 medium potato
1 tablespoon curry powder (less if you prefer)
750ml stock (from cube is fine-I use chicken stock cube)
250ml skim milk
chopped parsley to garnish (optional)

Melt butter and then add carrots, onion, potato and curry powder. Stir to coat and cook on low heat for 5mins. Add stock and bring to boil. Simmer for 25-30 mins. Liquidise until smooth. Add milk and season if needed. Bring back up to eating temperature and serve. Sprinkle with parsley garnish (spoonful of cream is also a nice garnish if not watching calorie count).

This is a really filling soup and quantity made serves 4 approx.

Just wanted to give this great recipe a much-deserved bump! I made a triple batch tonight (will put two batches in the freezer for later this fall) and I can't wait until dinner time! My stick blender is permanently a striking shade of orange because I primarily use it on this recipe! :lmao:

YUMMMM................P

Just wanted to give this great recipe a much-deserved bump! I made a triple batch tonight (will put two batches in the freezer for later this fall) and I can't wait until dinner time! My stick blender is permanently a striking shade of orange because I primarily use it on this recipe! :lmao:

YUMMMM................P

Mine too :rotfl2::rotfl2:

I tried the pizza crust yesterday. Actually I made it last weekend and put four portions into the freezer so that I could take them out in the morning into the fridge and then have pizza dough at night for dinner! :thumbsup2 I used some strange flour so the dough was a bit unusual, but I guess it is supposed to be very soft? At least that made it easy to make a very thin pizza. It was not very crispy, but good and I had a wonderful pizza for a few points yesterday! Thanks for posting the recipe, I think this will become a staple in my diet.

I promised to post my new lentil recipe and here it is:

It's from the Moosewood Restaurant Low Fat Recipes cookbook:

Sweet-and-Sour Lentils (serves 4 to 6)

1.5 cups brown lentils
2 cups unsweetened apple juice
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
2 cups of water
1 cup chopped onions
3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 cup peeled and diced carrots
2 teaspoons canola or other vegetable oil
1 medium bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 small zucchini or yellow squash, diced
1 tomato chopped
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar (we replaced it with balsamic vinegar and that worked fine)

Combine lentils, apple juice, water and ginger in saucepan, bring to boil and the simmer uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes until lentils are tender. You might need to add a little water at the end of the cooking time to prevent them from sticking.

Meanwhile sauté the onions, garlic and carrots in the oil until onions are soft. Add the other vegetables, cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes until tender. Then add soy sauce and vinegar.

When lentils are ready, combine vegetables with lentils and serve with rice.

My comment: we were only two and my friend's two year old, so we reduced the lentils. But we did keep the amount of vegetables. So it was a little bit more a vegetable dish with lentils, which helped with the calories/points. We really liked it and even the two year old thought this was fabulous.

HEY MODS! Again, I couldn't find this thread without using the search function! What's up with that? Am I having a blonde moment? Maybe this thread could be stickied on the "Eating Healthy" subforum?? Just a thought.....Thanks..... P

**Here is the original recipe, as I found it****

ORIGINAL Chicken Ratatouille Stew

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1- inch pieces
1 (28- to 30-oz.) jar spaghetti sauce
1 medium eggplant, peeled, coarsely chopped
2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 small zucchini, sliced
1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves

1. In 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine all ingredients; mix well.
2. Cover; cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours or until chicken is no longer pink.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is my slightly modified version

Lightened-up Chicken Ratatouille Stew

4-6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 (28- to 30-oz.) can of crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce.
1 medium eggplant, peeled, coarsely chopped
2 tomatoes, pulp removed and coarsely chopped
2-3 small zucchini, sliced
1-2 green or red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves

Salt and/or pepper, as needed.

1. In 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine all ingredients; mix well.
2. Cover; cook on low setting for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours or until chicken is no longer pink. SERVES 4-6

Serve with whole wheat pasta and grated parmesan if desired.

I made it yesterday with lean pork loin because of DS's chicken allergy, but it definitely would have been a bit tastier with meat that wasn't quite so dry (which is why I would use chicken THIGHS instead of breast meat). I also added an additional zucchini and a bit more tomato sauce. I knew that it would get more liquidy as it cooked and I was right. It was definitely almost a soup.

I chose to use crushed tomatoes rather than the spaghetti sauce for two reasons.... #1 it is cheaper and #2 most jarred/canned spaghetti sauce contains sugar (often in the form of HFCS). I knew that this recipe could be just as good with the crushed tomatoes and I think I was right!

You could probably use a can of diced tomatoes instead of the fresh (but of course, that would add more liquid). And it would be DELICIOUS over pasta, but since we didn't have any of the no-carb pasta in the house, we went without. I'd love to also have this with a piece of crusty Italian bread and glass of wine!

For those on WW, the only PPV you would need to count here would be the chicken (and the spaghetti sauce if you used that), assuming you skip the pasta. Everything else is zero PPV veggies! It was SUPER filling! For those on South Beach and Atkins, I think this is also a good choice, especially if you skip the sauce with the HFCS and skip the pasta. I also bulked up the recipe with more veggies.

Overall my family of 3 gave this 2 1/2 thumbs up.... it had too many veggies for DS's taste, but he did like the meat. I cooked it for 6 hours on high and the pork was a tad dry, but the veggies were perfect. The zucchini and eggplant had NOT cooked to a total mush, as I was afraid they might.

One last FYI.... this TOTALLY filled my largest crockpot.

This earned its spot in my "Tried and True" recipe binder!.................P

Sunset Favorite Onion Soup (from 1949)

4 medium onions thinly sliced
1/4 c butter
3 c beef broth
salt, pepper, worchestershire sauce to taste
4 slices french bread, toasted with butter and 1/2 T parmesan cheese

Saute the onions in butter over very low heat until they are rich golden or caramel color. Add beef broth, salt, pepper, worchestershire sauce to taste. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until onions are tender. Float toasted french bread on soup and serve. Serves 4.

260 calories according to MFP.
Guessing 4 to 5 points on WW -- I'll figure it out someday and update this.

Tarka Dal (Recipe from Foolproof Indian Cookery by Madhur Jaffrey)

75 g (3 oz) yellow split peas (skinned mung dal)
75 g (3 oz) split red lentils (masoor dal)
I often use just red lentils and just realised that I never have had split ones...
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
900 ml (1.5 pints) water
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoon olive or groundnut oil (this is where I change the recipe, it works well with just 2 teaspoons of oil, I have even done it with only one teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (I love cumin, so I use more)
2 hot dried red chillies
1 garlic clove, lightly crushed but left whole, then peeled

Wash the peas and lentils in water, drain. Put peas and lentils, water and tumeric in a pot, bring to the boil. Be careful, it can easily boil over and the water is very yellow thanks to the turmeric. Turn heat down when it starts boiling, partly cover the pot and let simmer gently for 40-45 minutes until the peas and lentils are very soft. The add the salt, turn off the heat and cover the pot.

Put the oil in a small frying pan (I use a non-stick pan) and set over a medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds, the chillies and the garlic. When the garlic has browned lightly (also watch the state of the cumin seeds you don't want them to burn, just be nicely toasted), quickly add the oil with the spices to the pot with the dal, immediately put the lid back on and let it trap the aromas for a few minutes.

The chilies do add a lot of spice, so if you don't like your food hot, use only one. I also find that they burn easily and that is not good either, so sometimes I take them out earlier.

I eat the soup with yoghurt. One of my favourite winter meals!

provencal-stew-ck-1879979-l.jpg

Provencal Beef Stew

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 pounds boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 medium onions, each cut into 8 wedges
8 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 cup dry red wine
1 cup fat-free, lower-sodium beef broth
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 bay leaves
3 fresh thyme sprigs
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
3 cups (1-inch) slices zucchini
2 cups (1-inch) slices carrots
Preparation

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; dredge in flour. Add beef to pan; sauté 2 minutes, browning on all sides. Place beef in an electric slow cooker. Add onions and garlic to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Add wine to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Place onion mixture in cooker. Add broth, tomato paste, bay leaves, thyme, and tomatoes to cooker; top with zucchini and carrots. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours or until beef is tender. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Discard bay leaves and thyme sprigs.

6 servings (1 1/3 c)

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
Calories: 271
Fat: 8.9g
Saturated fat: 2.8g
Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
Protein: 31.1g
Carbohydrate: 16.5g
Fiber: 3.5g
Cholesterol: 86mg
Iron: 4.2mg
Sodium: 499mg
Calcium: 57mg

Lia Huber, Cooking Light
MARCH 2009

Lisa..... just wanted you to know that the crockpot is ready and the beef has been browned so we can enjoy your Provencal beef stew recipe tomorrow! Really looking forward to it! I am also throwing in some sauteed mushrooms, since I don't eat much meat. I'll let you know how it goes...........P

That stew looks lovely and it's the perfect time of year for it :thumbsup2
Think I will give this a go this week:)
Great to see this thread becoming more active again:thumbsup2

That stew looks lovely and it's the perfect time of year for it :thumbsup2
Think I will give this a go this week:)
Great to see this thread becoming more active again:thumbsup2

I can't wait to report how the stew turns out today. BTW, I want you to know that DD had just TWO requests for particular meals while home for the Columbus day holiday.... broccoli cheddar soup AND your curried carrot soup!! :thumbsup2
......................P

***LOW CARB BUT DEFINITELY NOT LOW CAL!!**

Healthy-Enough-For-Breakfast Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups

(Adapted slightly from Lisas recipe for*Double Peanut Butter Chocolate Cups*on Thrive Style)

Yields 10 chocolate peanut butter cups

Bottom Layer:

2 tablespoons melted coconut oil

4 tablespoons smooth peanut butter

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

2 packets stevia

Line a mini muffin tray with 10 paper liners.* Stir all ingredients together until smooth and divide between the 10 mini muffin wells (each should be about half full).* (Try not to dribble on the sides since it will give your candy a streaked look.)* Put the tray in the freezer on a flat surface and freeze until solid (about 15 minutes, give or take a little while depending how cold your freezer is).

Top Layer:
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil

4 tablespoons smooth peanut butter

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 packet stevia

10 walnut halves (optional)

Stir all ingredients together (except walnut halves) until smooth and divide on top of the set chocolate mixture.* Transfer back to the freezer and freeze until partially solid (about 5 minutes), then lightly press 1 walnut half into the top of each candy (if using the walnut halves).* Return to the freezer and freeze until solid.
Store the treats in the fridge in an air-tight container between layers of wax paper.

FYI.... keep in mind while these are healthy, they are SUPER calorie dense.

A few changes I have made (the original recipe as I found it is posted above)....

sometimes we use Splenda.... top layer needs 3 packets and bottom needs 2 packets.

I also make these in regular size muffin tins... usually end up about 1/3 - 1/2 full .... one heaping tb for bottom layer and about 1/2 Tb for the top layer.... but it is definitely a "try as you go" type of thing for me.

DH really likes it when I make it with Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder. I have also made the recipe with almond butter and cashew butter, in place of the peanut butter.... but delicious with any of them.

Obviously, to keep these low carb you need to use natural SF peanut butter.

DH loves these so much I usually quadruple the recipe and make a big batch all at once!........................P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!