Wish Trip

gskywalker

DIS Veteran
We can't tell our kids as Make a Wish is planning a Wish Reveal Party for our daughter(and our family) and we thought it wise to not tell any other family or friends so I am sharing it here as I had to share it with someone. We got the word last night that Make a Wish is fulfilling my daughter's Wish to go on a Disney Cruise and that the whole family(we have 4 kids) gets to go which we really didn't expect. We are very excited for her as she has asked to go on one for the last 10 years and we could never justify the cost with a family of 6.

They asked us when we want to go, anyone have any idea the best times for a Caribbean Cruise, other than avoiding hurricane season? She is all about the princesses, tink, characters etc, so we don't want to go for Star Wars days(well I do.....but not my wish 😂 ). I was thinking Easter Weekend, possibly end of June/July as its the end of the school year? Thanks

I can't offer any suggestions about the cruise but i did want to say i have a few tears reading your post. Soooo happy that your daughter is getting her wish granted, that is such exciting news (i know why you wanted to share !!! ) but I'm aware of what that means. Your daughter must not be 100% healthy and I'm sure that is a heavy burden for you and your family to handle. Blessing to all of you and i truly hope this cruise is an amazing experience for your daughter.

What about march break. Its busy, but all the cruises all year are so shouldnt be any different. plus the weather will be better, or should be better then end of June.

I don't think I would want to be cruising into the Caribbean in the heat of summer. That is a winter destination to me - around the Christmas or March break if all/most of your kids are in school (harder if they are mixed with University/College - that's when family travel started to fall apart for us).

If you want to cruise in the summer months, would an Alaska itinerary work for them? It's great if the kids like scenic destinations.

We like to go in April, ocean is typically very smooth and the weather is hot, but zero humidity.

My cousin (now in his late 20s) has Cystic Fibrosis and Make-A-Wish was amazing to him and his family when he was young.

I can't offer any suggestions about the cruise but i did want to say i have a few tears reading your post. Soooo happy that your daughter is getting her wish granted, that is such exciting news (i know why you wanted to share !!! ) but I'm aware of what that means. Your daughter must not be 100% healthy and I'm sure that is a heavy burden for you and your family to handle. Blessing to all of you and i truly hope this cruise is an amazing experience for your daughter.

I appreciate your heartfelt response. Our daughter is special needs, has a very rare genetic disorder(55th person in the world) but thankfully as of now she hasn't had any of the life threatening symptoms she could have with her disorder. The down side is that she will never "catch up" but the bright side is that she will always love Disney like a little kid and she brings so much joy to every one around her. Our family loves Disney but she would actually live there if she could.

What about march break. Its busy, but all the cruises all year are so shouldnt be any different. plus the weather will be better, or should be better then end of June.

March break would have been a great time. Unfortunately this year it won't work because we had vouchers with Sunwing we had to use up, so we already booked a trip down to Disney for March break. We actually didn't expect to be accepted for Make A Wish because what my daughter has is so rare we have never found charities that we qualify for. We especially didn't expect them to authorize her for a wish and approve her specific wish so quickly.

I don't think I would want to be cruising into the Caribbean in the heat of summer. That is a winter destination to me - around the Christmas or March break if all/most of your kids are in school (harder if they are mixed with University/College - that's when family travel started to fall apart for us).

If you want to cruise in the summer months, would an Alaska itinerary work for them? It's great if the kids like scenic destinations.

While I would love an Alaskan cruise our daughter wanted warm, to visit Castaway Cay and I would guess to swim with the dolphins which I think I heard you can do in Nassau. I have come around to liking the idea of December as it would also be distanced from our trip to Disney at the end of August. My only fear with December is that it will be too cold on the beach/in the ocean.

We like to go in April, ocean is typically very smooth and the weather is hot, but zero humidity.

My cousin (now in his late 20s) has Cystic Fibrosis and Make-A-Wish was amazing to him and his family when he was young.

I am very glad to hear that.

Last edited:
No advice or experience that I can use to offer help, but I’m so excited for your family too!! Congratulations and I hope you all have the most amazing time :)

Keep us updated on your plans and how things go!

Congrats! Your daughter would have a blast!!
I went on a 4-night Bahamian Disney cruise on January 2, 2019. Weather was great! It’s not cold, but we didn’t swim so I am not sure about water temperature. It’s not humid hot like in August. We sailed from Miami and really enjoyed the mild weather for a change since we always travel during the hot summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!