Wishes Photography Options

Samantha Egbert

Earning My Ears
Yet again, another new post by me, lol. As a side note, there are so many questions I have in addition to Passporters book and Carrie's site and podcast (THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!! Completely indispensable!!). We didn't do a ridiculous amount of research before switching to Disney - yes, we switch from Illinois - because it was kind of a last minute "we-have-to-change-this-is-ridiculous kind of moment. :tongue:

Anyhow! My fiance and I are very particular about what style of photography that we like and are seriously contemplating using outside photographers. I know this has been a popular conversation on here, but it seems like a lot of them have to do with price and timing and length.

I was interested to know from the brides that used "outsiders" who they had and what they thought of them and their experience so on and so forth. Who you guys chose and why...

For us, and for a lot of couples, the main reason we chose an outside photographer is that we wanted to guarantee we'd get the person whose style we liked. We chose The Roots and could not have been happier with our photos.

With Disney, you can only request that you get a certain photographer—they can't guarantee it. And since the quality ranges, it can be super-stressful for brides who don't get any of their requests. Disney also offers basically one style of wedding photography, with creative flourishes heavily dependent on who you get. When you choose an outside vendor, the world is your oyster—there are many different styles of wedding photography to choose from.

You can see our wedding photos HERE and our Aulani vow renewal photos (also shot by the Roots) HERE.

With Disney, you can only request that you get a certain photographer—they can't guarantee it. And since the quality ranges, it can be super-stressful for brides who don't get any of their requests. Disney also offers basically one style of wedding photography, with creative flourishes heavily dependent on who you get.

Those are the two things that we are worried about! There is really only one photographer that fits our personal style and if they can't guarantee that we would kind of be left with something we REALLY don't want. Plus, like you mentioned, even though they have several photographers they kind of all seem to be very similar to each other.

I'm going to look at your photos and see if we will love the Roots too. Were they very receptive to the certain photos or touches you wanted and responded to your requests?

We’re using an outside photographer and I am SO happy we made that choice. Not only did I get to pick someone who’s style I love, but we’ve also met with them several times already, got the engagement shoot out of it, etc. We are using a somewhat unknown (therefore, budget-friendlier) photographer- Miranda Grey Weddings. They have been great so far and we can’t wait for our wedding photos!

Were they very receptive to the certain photos or touches you wanted and responded to your requests?

Definitely! I would also suggest, after nearly 10 years of doing photo shoots with them, that (no matter who you pick) you let the photographer guide you rather than giving them a list of specific poses. The ones they come up with always turn out better! A list is great for family photos, though, and it can help if you assign a knowledgeable friend or family member to point out who's who to the photographer. That ensures you get a shot of everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!