Wispering Canyon Dinner

spn

Mouseketeer
I have heard from one source that this dinner at WL is quite interactive and fun. However I can not find any additional reviews. I will be on site with DW DD (5yo) for 4 nights should I include this or go with another dinner.

Thanks

WCC is a good restuarant. You can order from the menu or get or get the family style. This is an aray of different things and all you can eat of them. I think you get a turkey leg, ribs, beef brisket, wings, and baked beens, mashed potatoes, or corn. Something to that affect. Also the waiters and waitresses get the kids involved wiht activities and sometimes the whole table. Another great place would be O'hanas. Same family style option and coconut races and more for the kids. I definatley like O'hanas better, food is definately better. Hope this helps,
Rich:D

We ate at Artist Point on 1/3, and walked past Whispering Canyon on our way out. The place was packed, and they were making the whole joint sing 'Happy Birthday' to some poor soul. There was also some other shouting and clatter that we couldn't identify. I don't know about the quality of the food, but it sure looked like they were having fun!
;)

I haven't been there, but I did watch the WL episode of "Great Hotels" on the Travel Channel. They did a spot in the WC and it looked pretty wild. If anyone else has seen it, did you notice the one guy sitting at the table and looking pretty disgusted with the place? What a grouch! It looked like fun to me.

We just returned from WDW last week. We stayed at the Dolphin but went to the Wilderness Lodge to check it out for our next trip. We ate lunch at the Whispering Canyon Cafe on December 19th and were VERY disappointed. We arrived at 12:20 for our 12:30 PS. The restaurant was not at all busy and we were seated immediately. I can certainly see why they weren't busy.

My wife ordered the Bar-b-que sandwich, we ordered hotdogs for our kids and I ordered a hamburger. Our server was Casper...she kept disappearing and not returning for what seemed an eternity.

The menu stated that all hamburgers are cooked well done unless requested otherwise. I ordered mine medium so it wouldn't be so dry.

After about half an hour after we placed our order, I asked our sever about our food and she said it was being held up by "Dad's burger". Twenty minutes later we still hadn't received our food. We are talking 50 minutes! Our server said we were still waiting on that burger. Finally, more than 50 minutes after we ordered we got our food. When our server brought our food I asked if they had to go out west and get a cow. She replied that the chef was in the back just chopping away on the meat for the burger. No appology or anything.

My wife said the bar-b-que was dry and not very flavorful. My hamburger was cooked dry as a bone. Extremely disappointing by Disney standards.

As for entertainment, it was next to none. There was minimal "audience participation". The servers took turns at the dinner bell. When the food was brought out, the servers walked the tray stands out so that it sounded like a horse galloping.

When the bill arrived, it was for $42.32. I just happened to have exact change, to the penny, and that is all I left. While the server wasn't at fault for the length of time for the food to arrive, there was no real explanation and apparently no attempt at getting it out to us any faster.

Would I ever eat there again...NO. And since this is about the only family fair available at the Wilderness Lodge, I doubt very seriously if I will ever stay there. This is a real shame because my wife and five year old fell in love with the resort before we ever entered the lodge. I called this afternoon and made our reservation for the Animal Kingdom Lodge for our third stay at AKL.

Yuk!

Dinner was awful. And with awful food the servers' antics were just annoying, not fun.

If you'd like to try WCC, go for breakfast.

WCC is one of those polarizing restaurants - love it or hate it, there's seldom any middle ground.

There are plenty of hijinks at dinnertime, and it is LOUD. You can either go with the flow and have a good time, or, if stick pony races and screaming for catsup isn't your bag, you'll be miserable. Or worse. But, if you want a loud, raucous time, and aren't easily embarassed (hey, it could happen), then WCC is fun. Other meals are more sedate - never been to b'fast, but lunch is a little quieter.

We've always gotten the skillets ... the pulled pork, chicken, and veggies are pretty good. The ribs are nicely flavored (if you like a smoked taste, but are TOUGH). We've been WCC apologists for a while, but you need to know what you're getting into.

BUT! - on our last trip, just a couple of weeks ago, we made it to 'Ohana. It EASILY surpassed WCC for all of us in every category. It's fun, with coconut races and hula contests for the little guys, but the food - from the starters of sticky wings, wonton-like pot sticker things, fried rice, grilled veggies, a salad with an intriguing lime-ish dressing - to the skewers with grilled tiger shrimp, pork tenderloin, steak, and smoked turkey - well, our party of six just ate themselves into a stupor. It was all very fresh, and we had a great, attentive server. So, now we're fans, and sorry to say that 'Ohana has eclipsed WCC for us. It's worth a side trip wherever we're staying from now on.

We went to the Whispering Canyon for breakfast, December 15th. We LOVED it! We didn't have a PS, so we did have to wait about 30 minutes, as it was packed, but it was worth the wait! Our server was helpful, and attentive. The food was awesome - DH and I got the omelets, DD1 also got an omelet, DD2 got the French toast, I believe, and DD3 (6), got the full breakfast skillet. Everything was freshly made to order, hot and delicious! Loved the antics of the wait staff - My daughter needed a straw for her milk, she certainly got some! When they did the stick horse race, my youngest was the first one to join - she had a ball, and they gave them a certificate as a memento.

I don't like the sounds of the reviews at lunch and dinner, but I've read others that rave as much as these pan this restaurant. I also like that you can choose what you want to eat - O'hana's also sounds fun, but if you don't like that style of food, you are out of luck!

Well, put us down under the "like WCC" category! We just ate there twice last week and always enjoyed it. We thought the antics were a lot of fun and it seemed like the waiters/waitresses interacted with us at the same level as we did with them. I'm sure if you let it be known that you weren't interested, they wouldn't press the matter. The pony races are very brief -- I love the certificate presentation at the end and I never found it overly loud. We ate dinner and breakfast there and enjoyed both. The dinner skillets came with chicken, ribs, pulled pork, sausage, beef stew, corn cob-ets, biscuits, cornbread, salad. DH & I really enjoyed the pulled pork and ribs and my older son enjoyed the chicken. My youngest son got mac & cheese and then nibbled from the skillet. Breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits & gravy and the cutest waffles in the shape of pinecones! I guess it's not for everybody, but it sure is for us! By the way, Jailbird Jessie is a great waitress. :cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter