With Galaxy's Edge coming... what will happen to Star Tours?

I remain surprised that muppets survived the SWGE axe to that area of the park. It's not as big an IP as it was 20 or more years ago and seperates an attraction that belongs to a new area. They could have easily torn down or repurposed the muppets and added all that land for SWGE, and then had 4 or 5 attractions vs 2 in SWGE. The SW IP is exponentially larger than muppets. Guess they figured losing yet another attraction during this time would make it even harder to justify full price admission.
Seems clear though that it's days are numbered. Perhaps a motion simulation version of the Indy ride from DLR since it's near the Indy show and they are rebooting (killing) the Indy franchise.

You make an interesting point and I wonder if it might lead to an actual plan by Disney. Disney could easily make it a muppet ride, change the entrance to come from Muppet area (directly behind the ride now). That would give the muppet courtyard two attractions and allow them to close the front of Star Tours to rip out the theme'ing and begin work in that part of the park without ever losing the ride itself. Replace the "drivers" with different muppets and even keep multiple ride options. The older style ride would play into the muppets IP better than most of the marvel theme's.

Yea maybe that is why they went this route. I gotta think there is some unpublished plan for that area we dont yet know about.

By all reports the Muppets aren't going anywhere, anytime soon. It is an IP they intend to keep and use per insiders. As for Star tours just want to emphasize again that there is no plan to move this ride, that the plan is at some point post SW:GE opening to move to a new IP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter