With the new Disneyland hotel on hold, what now?

Disneyland1084

OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
Does anyone know if the new Disneyland hotel is going to be built? I know it's on hold as Disney deals with a tax dispute with Anaheim. But does anyone know what's going on now? Is Disney working on plans to change the location? When I went in August, I expected to see Rainforest Cafe, AMC theatres, etc..bulldozed to the ground.

I wonder the same thing. Are they all just empty storefronts then? We aren't going until December. Such a waste of space/opportunity (if they are just empty storefronts).

I wonder the same thing. Are they all just empty storefronts then? We aren't going until December. Such a waste of space/opportunity (if they are just empty storefronts).

Yep, basically. Just a bunch of abandoned buildings. Although, Earl of Sandwich opened back up. They have food trucks and an entertainment stage in the afternoons and evenings.

I read something somewhere about Disney choosing to opt out of the incentive program (or tax break, or whatever it was that made them want to build the hotel in the first place). Supposedly they were opting out to try to mend their relationship with the city. I don't know if they would still want to build a hotel without the incentive. With the rates they charge for rooms, it seems to me that a hotel would bring in profit regardless of the incentive program, but without the program there's no rush for them to start building anything immediately (other than the fact that the land is sitting there empty right now). I assume Disney execs are weighing their options.

Disclaimer: As you can probably tell, I haven't followed this story closely enough to really know what I'm talking about. I just read some article about it several weeks ago.

Disney is likely waiting to see who comes out on top in the next city elections. Those currently in power have not did what they wanted. If people more friendly to Disney get elected the hotel might be built. If not, then its likely no hotel will be bulit in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
In the meantime, let's get out there and support the bands, support the trucks, and support EOS!

Any idea how I can figure out who is playing while we are there? Is there a concert/band calendar someplace that lists who is playing? We LOVE concerts so would love to go see some bands play. Thanks!

The final design they came out with certainly look like it was reduced in cost already. That thing looked like a convention center hotel from the 1970s.
Right?! Gosh, I was almost embarrassed my first reaction was “what decade was that thing built?” but that was legitimately the first though that popped into my mind after seeing the concept art... Disney can and has done SO much better.

Any idea how I can figure out who is playing while we are there? Is there a concert/band calendar someplace that lists who is playing? We LOVE concerts so would love to go see some bands play. Thanks!

What are your trip dates? You can check the entertainment schedule on the DLR website. I do see some band names listed in the DTD entertainment section. It doesn't say the band will be playing on the Main Stage by the food trucks, but that is where they have been located.

Last edited:

Yes there is! Go to the Disneyland site then entertainment and scroll down to the DTD section
The group performing on the main stage will.have performance times of 6;00, 7;00, 8:00 and 9:00. Only the group playing on.the maim.stage will have the aforementioned times Disney will only post the groups performing about 30 days out and sometimes less.

Thanks so much, we go the last week of December (yup I know gonna be crazy). :) Going to look once the time is closer. Wooo whooo will be fun for sure.

Thanks for the warning @Disneyland1084 ! My DD did it for the first time this summer after being very disappointed it was closed last year on her first trip when she was old enough for it. Since it could now be gone for good I’m glad I can warn my kids and give them one last chance to fight next week when we go.

Thanks so much, we go the last week of December (yup I know gonna be crazy). :) Going to look once the time is closer. Wooo whooo will be fun for sure.
Keep an eye open for anything special for NYE, too! The Parks Blog might post about fun things in DTD going on that week. If there is any news of something really fun going on that week in DTD, I'll try to post it in the Holiday Time super thread.

I just saw a report that the hotel is officially cancelled. So I'm assuming they'll try to re-fill those DTD buildings now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!