Wizard 101 question

DawnM

DIS Veteran
Wizard 101
My kids play Wizard 101 and they are asking to "buy crowns."

I can't quite figure out (and they are not explaining it well!) what the crowns do and how long they will last.

They said if they are members (which they aren't) they don't need to purchase crowns, but the crowns let them in to places members can go.

How long do crowns last? If I purchase 60,000 crowns for $59 at the current discount, will that last at least a full year, or would the $79 yearly membership be a better deal?

Thanks,

Dawn

Hi. Here's the difference between subscriptons and crowns:

A one-year subscription opens up all areas of the game, plus some subscriber-only features such as ranked player vs player matches. If the subscription is discontinued after it runs out, (it will renew automatically at whatever the current rate is unless you unsubscribe it manually), the player will only have access to the free areas of Wizard City.

Crowns are used to open up areas one at a time as a player progresses in the game, and once an area is purchased, it remains open permanently to that account. The total cost for unlocking every area of the game (using a bulk purchase of 60,000 crowns) used to be $80, but with a new world being added later this summer, this will mean additional areas to pay for.

I have a suggestion if you're not sure whether to go with crowns or a subscription for your kids. Buy $5.00 worth of crowns on the website, which is enough to unlock three areas. That way you can see how fast they progress through the game content, and whether it still holds their interest. If they speed through it and want to continue, a one-year subscription would certainly be a good deal, and you won't have to worry about paying extra crowns when the new world comes out. If however they prefer to take their time, crowns might make more sense, especially with the great rate they have for purchasing them in bulk right now.

Be aware that there are also some popular in-game item purchases that can only be paid for with crowns. This would be in addition to the cost of your subscription or the cost of the crowns used to unlock areas.

Ok, I think I see.....

So, if they have crowns and open an area, they have permanent access to that area, correct?

I guess I am asking for immediate suggestions as the deal on crowns ends on Monday and goes back up to $80 on June 1.

Question: What does full access get them that crown access won't? It would seem that buying even 120,000 crowns is cheaper in the long run than paying for even 2 years' worth of subscriptions......am I missing something other than the ranking and such?

Thank you,

Dawn

Ok, I ended buying 60,000 crowns as I found out that I can split them between the 3 boys. That is what they are getting for now and we will see how long it lasts.

If they want a subscription it is $7 per month each for 3 of them. I told them they will have to pay half ($3.50) out of their own allowance. But for now, I will see how far 20,000 crowns each goes.

Dawn

Glad you found something that works out for you. Yes, I find crowns to be a very flexible option; it's nice to be able to transfer them back and forth between members of a family account through parental controls.

In answer to your question about other subscriber benefits, there is also ranked pet derby racing, access to the test realm when it is active, and 18+ text chat for eligible players.

Hope your kids have fun! Maybe Mom can make a wizard on one of their accounts and try it out, too. :)

Thank you for your answers.

Maybe I will try it out, although I have my own hobbies that are sucking up my time at the moment!

Dawn

when i was low lvl witj ni member i went to black hope and put treasure power play, and then did dryad or ice armor for xp

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts