WOC Alternative Viewing

Cal-Pie

DIS Veteran
When WOC eventually comes back (fingers crossed for March, but who knows at this point) I'd really like some ideas for where to see it from outside of the regular viewing area. It seems like I've read something about staying over by JJelly Fish and seeing it from the back side? Would being over there work or is that area closed off during the show? I know viewing outside the regular area won't be as good, but my family has requested avoiding the line up/push process in queue.

The bridge as you walk to LLL usually fills up slower and isn’t considered a viewing area I believe (if you go early and get a front spot on the bridge it’s a great view).
Thanks for mentioning that, for some reason I was thinking at least part of the bridge was a FP area.

If you don’t care about seeing the projections, there are a lot of areas all around Pixar Pier lagoon that offer a good view of the fountains during the show. And it’s definately less crowded outside the actual viewing area. I’ve wandered around there and watched the show from various places, and there even places you can find to sit without much of a crowd. I don’t believe any of those areas are closed down during the show.

You can see the show from lots of locations...but outside the viewing areas it is just pretty fountains. All of the visuals and effects of the show are designed to be viewed from the front

... I know viewing outside the regular area won't be as good, but my family has requested avoiding the line up/push process in queue.
The best way I know to avoid the chaos of the WOC line up process and to still have a good view is to do the WOC Dessert Party (if it is offered on your dates). The other dining packages are next best -- usually not too chaotic, but still can have relative crowds on busy nights. Otherwise, the viewing area in front of LM can be fine from a non-shoving/non-chaotic standpoint, especially if you get the front row. But the pp is correct that the view will be of the fountains, not the details on the water or the details on the screens.

Since WOC will be back I'm bumping this to see if anyone has any other ideas. I just can't convince my family to risk enduring the drunken stampede we experienced in the queue last time, and they don't love the show enough to do dining/dessert. Also, if DCA closes at 10pm, will there likely be 2 shows? (March 11)

So, I’ve watched WOC with a FP probably a dozen times and never been that overwhelmed by the viewing situation but...

IME, if you’re willing to take ponchos and stand in the splash zone, there are pretty much always spots available (maybe not if it’s really hot; I don’t think I’ve paid attention in that particular situation). So if you have a FP and just wait until the viewing area is actually open and head down to the splash zone, you should be able to get a good spot without lining up and ever being in a crush of people.

Also, even the back of the viewing areas are better than a lot of what’s being suggested - nothing says you have to try to get a prime viewing spot with your FP; you can just show up and stand in the back/off to the side, you know?

Moral of the story: you can get a FP and get into the FP viewing area without it being a mob scene if you’re fine with mediocre viewing (or maybe getting wet). And it sounds like you are fine with mediocre viewing. So I’d just do that.

I don't understand why someone would watch a purely projection based show if they didn't care about seeing the projections. I have "watched the backside of WOC" because we were on the pier doing other things and all you can make out is blurry patches of color. Seeing it too far from the side ruins the view as well. I get DAS for rides in the park because I can't handle long lines and big crowds for long periods of time and I can still handle the regular Fastpass line up for WOC just fine (have done it at least a dozen times without issue). If you don't mind standing in the back of the viewing area you can just roll in at the last minute of the entry window listed on your FP ticket, right before the show starts, with no actual wait at all. If you really wanted to see the show and completely avoid the line up and file in process you could splurge for a dessert party, but I haven't ever done that myself as the WOC FP works just fine for us.

I don't understand why someone would watch a purely projection based show if they didn't care about seeing the projections...
I get what you're saying, but for some people, it's about getting a sensitive family member used to the show or at least familiar enough with all the stimulus that goes on (e.g. lights, loud noise, fire, fountains, etc.), so that dealing with the crowds won't be so much of an issue. When youngest was loving the show, but afraid of the fire jets, we viewed from the back numerous times. He didn't mind missing the projections at all because he was so amazed by everything else that was going on -- until the POTC segment and the fire jets. Took a while for him to get used to those, even from the back, so that we could start viewing from the front and he could start focusing on the water screens. Other people just want a general experience of the show to see if it's going to be worth the considerable time and/or money investment for their family. Why would you put in all the time and money if your kids are just going to hate it? We're familiar enough with the show that sometimes we'll watch/listen while eating at Pacific Wharf. Do we see much of anything? Not really, but we can see the projections in our minds and enjoy the colors and fountains. We can hear the show just fine, though, while enjoying our bread bowls or sundaes.

I get what you're saying, but for some people, it's about getting a sensitive family member used to the show or at least familiar enough with all the stimulus that goes on (e.g. lights, loud noise, fire, fountains, etc.), so that dealing with the crowds won't be so much of an issue. When youngest was loving the show, but afraid of the fire jets, we viewed from the back numerous times. He didn't mind missing the projections at all because he was so amazed by everything else that was going on -- until the POTC segment and the fire jets. Took a while for him to get used to those, even from the back, so that we could start viewing from the front and he could start focusing on the water screens. Other people just want a general experience of the show to see if it's going to be worth the considerable time and/or money investment for their family. Why would you put in all the time and money if your kids are just going to hate it? We're familiar enough with the show that sometimes we'll watch/listen while eating at Pacific Wharf. Do we see much of anything? Not really, but we can see the projections in our minds and enjoy the colors and fountains. We can hear the show just fine, though, while enjoying our bread bowls or sundaes.
Eek, didn’t mean to come off as insensitive. That is a good point. I have gone with friends that have kids with sensory issues and handling a trip in the park is very different all around to make sure they have a fun & not overwhelming time. I meant in the case of the OP’s fam just not wanting to bother with FP. But you’re right that I didn’t even consider that they might have very valid reasons that they kept to themselves for wanting to avoid that specific situation.

Lamplight Lounge is still an unknown quantity as far as WOC viewing goes.

Will the view be interesting? Will there be any sort of view at all?

Following because I'd love to see the show again, but it was stressful last time we tried it, and it was a long wait for my littles, and then the closer it got to the show, the more it seemed like people were trying to crowd us out of our spot. So if we did get a fastpass and "roll up at the last moment," where are better areas to see from (with kids) that might still be available? Or tell me more about the splash zone. We would be interested in that, especially since I'm planning to have ponchos with us if the wind was blowing at us... Do you need a FP for that zone, and if so, earlier or later distribution? We don't need a perfect view, but with kids under 12, it's not worth it if they can't see because there are adults right in front of them... (Dessert party isn't an option. Just way too much money for 7 of us, or even 4/5 if Dad takes the little back to the hotel to go to bed!)

I watched the show twice ( couple of years ago though) and I loved the projections and the show... but I don’t know if I want to do it again...( My mother already said she won’t) We had FPs and all that standing and waiting was terrible. I think that is my one bad memory of Disneyland... I really hated it and then the view (2nd to 3rd row) wasn’t that great either... and those dining packages just doesn’t appeal to me either. They are just too expensive to justify...:sad1:

So an alternative way of viewing would be great...
though I might just do that arrive last last minute and stand in the back thing...better to have a bad view without waiting than having one with waiting...

So I've never been to DL, but I typed in "best viewing spot for world of colour" and got this short video. I love the idea of standing on the top of the stairs by the pier, that is a great idea! If you can get the top stair then kids can see over everyone. Take a look:

... Or tell me more about the splash zone. We would be interested in that, especially since I'm planning to have ponchos with us if the wind was blowing at us... Do you need a FP for that zone, and if so, earlier or later distribution? We don't need a perfect view, but with kids under 12, it's not worth it if they can't see because there are adults right in front of them...
Splash Zone: super fun, right up front at the railing by the water's edge. FPs required for entry. Centered zone is for the WCT Dining Package folks (or used to be -- don't know if that package is back yet). I think Blue free FPs also get some center and to the far left. Yellow free FP area is right center to the far right end -- get as far to the left of your zone as you can -- as far to the center of the bay -- that way you'll be front row at the railing and pretty centered for viewing. Totally immersive experience seeing the show from that perspective. Put the littles up front and the taller people behind, so you'll be standing tandem, rather than taking up a long line at the front. If the crowd in the Splash Zone is with it on your viewing night, it can be so much fun! Everyone sings along and dances to every song, whether you get wet or not. We've never gotten soaked (DH is really careful about testing the wind direction before a show -- although, wind direction can change...), but usually get misted (bring cleaning cloths if you wear glasses). Others have gotten absolutely drenched! (If the wind is blowing the fountains into the viewing area, it's possible.) Splash Zone is fun for either the first or second show -- usually less crowded for the second show -- but with WOC having been gone for so long now, I'm thinking that all shows will be pretty crowded for a while until the "new" wears off.
If you ever do another grown ups only trip with DH or with your sister, save up for the Dessert Party -- that's a really special treat!

So I've never been to DL, but I typed in "best viewing spot for world of colour" and got this short video. I love the idea of standing on the top of the stairs by the pier, that is a great idea! If you can get the top stair then kids can see over everyone. Take a look:

That area can be good viewing, but what that video doesn't tell you is that you will have to invest about 90 minutes (sometimes more) to guarantee that spot for your family. (How many other people have seen that video, too, and will be competing for that small area and limited step area for their families?) We've seen WOC numerous times and waited for our viewing spots numerous times. Investing the time to get and to hold good viewing spots is crucial to your enjoyment of the show (unless you are very tall). The first post in the WOC Superthread is SUPER helpful -- HydroGuy knows his stuff and his tips work! Study that for the best tips and viewing information.

Last edited:
That area can be good viewing, but what that video doesn't tell you is that you will have to invest about 90 minutes (sometimes more) to guarantee that spot for your family. (How many other people have seen that video, too, and will be competing for that small area and limited step area for their families?) We've seen WOC numerous times and waited for our viewing spots numerous times. Investing the time to get and to hold good viewing spots is crucial to your enjoyment of the show (unless you are very tall). The first post in the WOC Superthread is SUPER helpful -- HydroGuy knows his stuff and his tips work! Study that for the best tips and viewing information.

I had a good read through Hydroguy's post last night on WOC, tons of good tips there! He recommends being there 90 minutes early no matter what. We were thinking of doing a dining package so we could get in that reserved seating spot, but if we still need to wait for 90 minutes as he recommends is the only benefit to a dining package that you get a certain section guaranteed to you? Seems to me if you are waiting 90 minutes early you could get a good spot without paying for a pricey dinner. Another question I wondered was are kids allowed to sit on the railings if parents are behind them holding onto them? I know that dessert package is a treat but it's just way too pricey, especially if you're paying 30% more in exchange :crazy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!