Woman Returns Dried-Out Cut Christmas Tree To Costco...

Julie's Haircut

DIS Veteran
and receives a refund.

A woman in California returned a cut Christmas tree on January 4 to Costco and promptly received a refund.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/Califo...rning-dead-Christmas-tree-to-Costco_164413905

Costco has an extremely generous return policy and will take back practically anything no questions asked.

It's not something I'd do but I can't blame the woman for taking advantage of their policy. Costco can easily prohibit returns on seasonal products after the holiday or "live" products, but they choose not to.

I've read about others returning half-eaten graduation sheet cakes, beach chairs in September, luggage after a completed trip, etc.

I'm sure they get plenty of returns on large screen TVs the day after the Super Bowl.

Was this woman smart or a scam artist?

We have a friend who works at Costco and he said there are plenty of TV's returned after the Super Bowl. Costco does have a record of all your returns and I don't remember what they do with all of the return info they track but they did something.

Was this woman smart or a scam artist?

A scam artist, of course. She's taking advantage of a generous policy (which will disappear if enough people follow her lead). Returns are supposed to be because you can't use something after all (broken, wrong size, received two the same...) She clearly used the tree, and is not playing fair.

People like her are why the rest of us can’t have nice things.

When Costco changes their return policy, everyone will cry and moan, and it will be because of people like her.

I don’t think she’s smart or a scam artist. She just doesn’t have any sense of right or wrong. Or class.

We have a friend who works at Costco and he said there are plenty of TV's returned after the Super Bowl. Costco does have a record of all your returns and I don't remember what they do with all of the return info they track but they did something.

I'm hoping that Costco would eventually cancel the membership of someone who habitually makes such returns. Give them the benefit of the doubt two or three times, but tell them to get lost after that.

I HATE when people do this at costco. I got behind a woman in the returns lane a couple months ago doing one better.

She had two large bags of random, used things she was returning. Not one box. Not one receipt. It was a used toaster, a used fan, a used sheet set, random vases, etc. It was like she just went around her house and picked up everything she had ever purchased from costco and decided to return them all the same day.

The return clerk had to look up in her account for each item to get the return code. It took forever and she just kept pulling more and more things out of her bag.

I HATE when people do this at costco. I got behind a woman in the returns lane a couple months ago doing one better.

She had two large bags of random, used things she was returning. Not one box. Not one receipt. It was a used toaster, a used fan, a used sheet set, random vases, etc. It was like she just went around her house and picked up everything she had ever purchased from costco and decided to return them all the same day.

The return clerk had to look up in her account for each item to get the return code. It took forever and she just kept pulling more and more things out of her bag.
Ew ew ew :sick:

When I worked at JCPenney, the return policy was much more lax than it is now. An elderly lady brought in sheets from 17 years before, in their original packaging with the receipt. I didn't mind handling the return.

If I had to return used sheets, I'd probably go right in the back room and set my hand on fire to kill all the cooties.

Scam artist and somebody with no sense of right or wrong. Not to mince words, but their policy is not that you can return anything for any reason, but rather that you can return anything you are not satisfied with for any reason. If she truly wasn't satisfied with her tree, she should have returned it earlier. A bad person with no moral scruples who will ruin a good policy that 99% of us are able to respect.

Years ago there use to be websites dedicated to Target sales. People would post about doing things that I thought were almost illegal. Then they complained when Target changed their policies.

The first to go was their generous return policy.

Scam artist.

People who take advantage of situations like this are the reason some stores require receipt, picture id, blood sample and fingerprint scan before they'll accept a return.

There are some now that if it goes on clearance, they won't take it back even if you have all that. Well that means almost any gift you buy someone for Christmas isn't going to be able to be returned because they are already putting spring and summer out.

Total Scam artist.

When Costco changes their policy, people will know who’s partially responsible.

It's not a total scam but that's just classless and 100% knowingly abusing a return policy that will be cancelled and affect all of us that aren't abusing it if it goes on too much.

I wouldn't be surprised though if I found out that she sold pictures of a cannon camera for $800 and ended up on judge judy because this person has little if any scruples.

I was there today and as I was loading my things into the car I saw a couple unloading their returns from their trunk. All kinds of party leftovers like crackers, cheese,cookies. It annoyed the crap out of me all the boxes were opened all partially used.

I believe they will cancel the membership of people who do this. So I guess it works a few times, but after that, not so much.

It annoys me to see people doing this at Costco. I can't believe that people have such low moral standards.

I too have seen the 1/2 eaten party trays being returned. It's SO obvious. And, they have no shame whatsoever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter