Woman Returns Dried-Out Cut Christmas Tree To Costco...

Yeah, you're right unless the tree was just a mess and sitting in the garage because she had to buy a second tree. In which case I'd show the receipt for the second tree to Costco as explanation. She probably didn't adequately water it or have the end cut off when she bought it.

and receives a refund.

A woman in California returned a cut Christmas tree on January 4 to Costco and promptly received a refund.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/Califo...rning-dead-Christmas-tree-to-Costco_164413905

Costco has an extremely generous return policy and will take back practically anything no questions asked.

It's not something I'd do but I can't blame the woman for taking advantage of their policy. Costco can easily prohibit returns on seasonal products after the holiday or "live" products, but they choose not to.

I've read about others returning half-eaten graduation sheet cakes, beach chairs in September, luggage after a completed trip, etc.

I'm sure they get plenty of returns on large screen TVs the day after the Super Bowl.

Was this woman smart or a scam artist?
I don't know if I'd go far enough to call her a scam artist, but she's definitely wrong and because of ppl like her, it will create stricter and stricter return policies, which will have a negative effect on more "honest" ppl. as well as herself.

Years ago there use to be websites dedicated to Target sales. People would post about doing things that I thought were almost illegal. Then they complained when Target changed their policies.

The first to go was their generous return policy.

I was in Target a few months ago, waiting on line to pay my bill. The person in front of me had a cart full of groceries in bags. The woman went to the counter and started taking the food out of the bags. At first I wasn't paying attention but heard her say her family didn't like the food. Then realized everything she pulled out was 1/2 to 3/4 gone. The loaf of bread had maybe 3 or 4 slices left. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The person behind the counter took everything back and gave her a full price refund. I asked the person behind the counter about it and she said that they have to take things back without questioning the person returning the items.

It has never crossed my mind to return food that I didn't like.

Years ago there use to be websites dedicated to Target sales. People would post about doing things that I thought were almost illegal. Then they complained when Target changed their policies.

The first to go was their generous return policy.

I remember the days when the Budget Board here had posts with similar stories. I remember the time someone got a TV for a really low price because of a mistake. A lot of people tried to get the same price, and were posting about what happened.

If you want to see what kind of people are really out there- work in retail.

Totally true. I've been working retail for the past six months (mostly as a cashier but some time in customer service too). Every shift, I come home with loads of different stories. It's amazing what people will do to save a few bucks. And it's also amazing what people think they are entitled to.

I was in Target a few months ago, waiting on line to pay my bill. The person in front of me had a cart full of groceries in bags. The woman went to the counter and started taking the food out of the bags. At first I wasn't paying attention but heard her say her family didn't like the food. Then realized everything she pulled out was 1/2 to 3/4 gone. The loaf of bread had maybe 3 or 4 slices left. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The person behind the counter took everything back and gave her a full price refund. I asked the person behind the counter about it and she said that they have to take things back without questioning the person returning the items.

I never even knew you could return food. When my youngest was a baby, my mom bought her a bunch of organic gerber food. It made her sick. Dh said to return it. I did and got credit. But it felt weird to me. There was no deception involved I just felt weird. But I never bought it again just to return it.

People are allowed to return USED products? This is only usually possible in the UK when something is faulty. Everything else has to be in as new condition, in original (sometimes sealed) packaging, and returned within 30-60 days usually, depending on the retailer.

People are allowed to return USED products? This is only usually possible in the UK when something is faulty. Everything else has to be in as new condition, in original (sometimes sealed) packaging, and returned within 30-60 days usually, depending on the retailer.

Retailers in the U.S. are free to set their own return policies. Some are very strict, posting "All Sales Final" signs; some like Costco are ridiculously lenient. Most fall in between.

and receives a refund.

A woman in California returned a cut Christmas tree on January 4 to Costco and promptly received a refund.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/Califo...rning-dead-Christmas-tree-to-Costco_164413905

Costco has an extremely generous return policy and will take back practically anything no questions asked.

It's not something I'd do but I can't blame the woman for taking advantage of their policy. Costco can easily prohibit returns on seasonal products after the holiday or "live" products, but they choose not to.

I've read about others returning half-eaten graduation sheet cakes, beach chairs in September, luggage after a completed trip, etc.

I'm sure they get plenty of returns on large screen TVs the day after the Super Bowl.

Was this woman smart or a scam artist?
I don’t know why you say you can’t blame the woman. You know, I know, we all know what she did is wrong. She’s a selfish woman with absolutely no conscience. People like her disgust me. There is no excuse and no justification anyone could offer that would make me find this behavior excusable. Same for the post-Super Bowl TV returners, post-fancy event dress returners, etc. We ALL pay for this. I hope karma bites her hard. And often.

Omg never would I think to do that I either throw it away or finish it and put in the mental colum of things to never buy again

Sorry. Don't buy it. It's possible, I suppose, but if you want your money back because it sucked, return in quicker. Otherwise, the rest of us are going to think you are a horrible human being scamming the system. That's the risk you take. Also, it's a $30 tree. Not sure what you can expect for a $30 dead tree?

We bought our tree this year from Costco and it was $49.99 I think. Definitely more than $30, but your point still stands. Actually this was the first year we were very disappointed in our Costco tree. Due to the fires in Oregon most of the trees in SoCal were pretty pathetic. When you buy the tree it's all tied up so you don't know what you are going to get. When DH brought it home and unwrapped it was very crooked and uneven- I actually asked him to return it, but he refused! It also dried out quicker than it should have, but that was due more to our unseasonably warm and dry temperatures here. I will probably not buy a tree at Costco again though. We had to take it down Dec 26 and I really was tempted to return it with complaints to Costco, but I do have shame!

I saw one lady try to return a (several year old) book to Costco. Apparently she had a lot of notes in the computer and she was blackballed from returning. I was dying to know what the computer said! I have made plenty of eyebrow raising returns to Costco (produce and meat that have gone bad before they should and a one year old printer that I think should have lasted more than a year), but their return policy is why I shop there so much. We spent more than $10K at Costco last year.

I remember a lady returned a turkey carcass to a store I worked at out in Colorado the day after Thanksgiving saying it just didn't taste good. The store gave her a refund. :rolleyes:
My DH had a man bring back a turkey and complained that there was no white mea and wanted a refund. DH turned the bird over and both had a great laugh that customer's wife had cooked the turkey upside down and plated it on the platter the same way. DH indicated that this was a middle aged couple and not a young couple hosting first Thanksgiving.

My DH had a man bring back a turkey and complained that there was no white mea and wanted a refund. DH turned the bird over and both had a great laugh that customer's wife had cooked the turkey upside down and plated it on the platter the same way. DH indicated that this was a middle aged couple and not a young couple hosting first Thanksgiving.

Just the other day we had a lady return a slow cooker, as it took too long to cook her meal. I'm not kidding.

First time I roasted a chicken, I roasted it upside down. I was 20 and living with my then BF (now DH). He still says that was the most juicy white meat he's ever had because all the juices ran down while it cooked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter