Wonder how they'll spin this one.

I don't get the obsession with ignoring the fact that race plays a role in how these cases start, how they are reported, public reaction .....

Example:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...lian-rescuing-ducklings-near-minneapolis-home

White woman gets shot and the media finds pics of her rescuing baby ducks. Black man or kid gets shot and they Report that he was suspended from school, every traffic ticket, etc. It truly is a double standard and race plays a big part in it.

and this would be an example of how thigns are progressing very, very differently than in similar cases in which the victim is black.

Not sure about that. It sounds more like the culmination of controversial multiple use of force incidents during her tenure. Although it didn't happen in her department, the shooting of Philando Castile seems to have created questions about use of force. The final straw may have been that she was out backpacking somewhere but didn't immediately return to Minneapolis.

If identity politics are involved, it's certainly a minefield. Chief Harteau is native and lesbian. Her nominated replacement is black.

I had no idea what the race of the officer is. In fact, it never occurred to me to find out. There is so much fuss over race unfortunately. It shouldnt matter.

Or use rumor and speculation to create dirt. It doesn't matter if it's true. Once it's put out, it will always be part of the story, true or not.
Not only that but there is a certain amount of profiling that the media is 100% responsible for. Anyone who says that the media doesn't fuel the fire either doesn't want to see it or is refusing to.

I had no idea what the race of the officer is. In fact, it never occurred to me to find out. There is so much fuss over race unfortunately. It shouldnt matter.

It's pretty difficult to ignore how all this affects the "optics". There's a lot of conversation of this that centers around nationality, race, religion, and other identity politics. The Mayor of Minneapolis is a woman. The newly resigned Chief of police was a native American lesbian. The officer who killed the victim was an ethnic Somali Muslim who I've heard was a sense of pride in the sizable Somali-American population in the area. The victim was a white Australian woman. On top of that, there are rumblings among the police rank and file that the former Chief shouldn't have said anything about the shooting being "preventable" before the investigation was completed.

You can say that it shouldn't matter, but the reality is that it does matter.

Not only that but there is a certain amount of profiling that the media is 100% responsible for. Anyone who says that the media doesn't fuel the fire either doesn't want to see it or is refusing to.

I guess that depends on what your referring to by "the media". I learned on a different thread that people have very different ideas about what "the media" means.

However, I think it's sometimes a bit disingenuous to compare countries on statistics like this when other things aren't also taken into consideration - cities' infrastructures, gang populations, population spread, etc.

First of all Australia has a massive gang problem, and second of all it's not disingenuous at all, if you look at just NYC whose crime has been dropping it is has a murder rate of more than 3 times that of Australia (with NY a population of 8m and Australia 24m)
The US murder rate is in the same ballpark as that if Thailand and Lebanon.

I don't get the obsession with ignoring the fact that race plays a role in how these cases start, how they are reported, public reaction .....

Yeah no one is rioting this time....

I mean mainstream news organizations. I could list specific ones but that boarders on political.

Thanks. I know what you mean.
I was talking more about fringe "news" and rumors spread through social media and comments section There's been plenty of times on threads here about similar situations that I've felt like I needed a shower after clicking a link someone posted to back up something disparaging victim.
I find if I stick with actual news from mainstream outlets, they are pretty good. It's when you get into opinion articles and shows hosted by personalities that things are more about fueling the fire.

Last edited:
I don't get the obsession with race. Can we just look at the facts of the incident? Me, I am normally a defender of police and maybe even in this case I will but at this moment in time it sounds like the cop made a bad decision. And gee guess what that was way before I knew the race of any of them. Shocker I know.
How could it have been before you knew the race of either? It has been mentioned in every single article written about the incident.

How could it have been before you knew the race of either? It has been mentioned in every single article written about the incident.

Because I first heard it talked about on the radio and at that time there was no mention of race, just the tragic circumstances. Then I saw it on a website and there was picture of the victim, but no mention of the police officer and it didn't cross my mind to wonder what race he was.

Yeah no one is rioting this time....

White people do not riot everytime a white person is shot by a police officer. Even a black police officer.

I did notice the race, as it was usually mentioned, or obvious from the photos.
I posted before, that has had absolutely ZERO bearing on my views in this case.

It's pretty difficult to ignore how all this affects the "optics". There's a lot of conversation of this that centers around nationality, race, religion, and other identity politics. The Mayor of Minneapolis is a woman. The newly resigned Chief of police was a native American lesbian. The officer who killed the victim was an ethnic Somali Muslim who I've heard was a sense of pride in the sizable Somali-American population in the area. The victim was a white Australian woman. On top of that, there are rumblings among the police rank and file that the former Chief shouldn't have said anything about the shooting being "preventable" before the investigation was completed.

You can say that it shouldn't matter, but the reality is that it does matter.
I agree that it does matter but it shouldn't. Law should be applied based on event and circumstance but so many of this is clouded by race that it's hard to know if any of what happens is "fair". It's tiring to constantly hear excuses that come from all sides when justice is really what matters. Oddly enough this happened with OJ and all of this time later it's still happening. What can be done? So far it looks like nothing.

Because I first heard it talked about on the radio and at that time there was no mention of race, just the tragic circumstances. Then I saw it on a website and there was picture of the victim, but no mention of the police officer and it didn't cross my mind to wonder what race he was.
The same for me. I didn't know about the officer until I read it here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!