• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wondering about Discovery Cove?

Queenofspoons

Dreaming of Disney World
On my next disney vacation, my parents want to go off site to dicovery cove and possibly Seaworld, of course ive never been to any other theme park in orlando that doesn't have Disney in the title.

I've been weary of seaworld ever since the recent orca accident, but my mom discribed Discovery Cove to me and it sounded interesting, ive never seen a dolphin before out side of television and movies, plus getting to hang on a island all day sounds fun.

Is their other animals you can look at? How long do you get to meet the dolpins?
Does it get boring staying on the beach all day? and I also read there are people who opose discovery cove because contact with Humans is making the Dolphins sick and their being over feed, do you really think its true?

Hi Queenofspoons,

I can't answer you exactly right now, but after next Monday I can, as I will be there then! Reading from their website, though, there is a bird aviary, a lazy river (?), tropical fish, sting rays etc.
I will reply fully next week, perhaps (hopefully!) with photos for you!
I am really looking forward to it - I have always wanted to swim with the dolphins, so I hope I don't make them sick!

The accident in Seaworld is just that, an accident. They changed the protocols now and interact with tillikum, taima and the others slightly differently. plus there are 2 pregnant females, one is due something between this and next month. I beieve you should go to seaworld at least once.

In Discovery cove you can interact and feed with birds like sun conures, peacoks, cockatiels etc.. and fishes, stingrays. The entire dolphin interaction is about 30-40 minutes, depending also on the dolphins, they dont force the animals to do anything they dont want to. and they use differen re-enforcers for the animals sometimes fish/ice toys. There is so much to do over there, the heres shopping and a buffet area ice cream it goes by so fast its never a dull moment. Discovery cove is a clean place bathrooms and showers. I suggest you keep an open mind if you go, the dolphins are not overfed because their all changed around throughout the day, so never get the same dolphin twice in each session- to keep the animals stimulated and also give them time to themselves if they are not in the mood or like to socialize ..

here is my blog on Discovery cove, just to give you an insight on it with pics and video: http://aquaticorca.wordpress.com/2009/05/14/welcome-to-discovery-cove-orlando-2009/

Great advise from Tilikumtrainer again...

All said, there is plenty to do and to see. All meals plus snacks are incl too and the drinks also!
I saw your "?" on the lazy river...
Well, the LR is a circle around the whole park with some currents and some drops into deeper water. This is the only "heated" area. All other pools are rather "cool" :-)
The LR runs through the Bird Aviary and has two water falls at the entrance and the exit (for the birds) so please feel compfy by going throu a water fall :-)

@tilikumtrainer:

There are TWO pregnant whales right now??
How cool... I saw the last calf and it was awesome to watch it.

But then it is almost 100% sure that the Believe shows are off for the summer??
Normally they cancel all shows for 6 weeks after a whale is born, right?
If it is due next month, then it would be well into the august for believe ...

That being said, we will not see a Believe show then :guilty::eek:

Discovery Cove is great! You can check out my DC day by clicking on the link below (the best laid plans .... were worth it) and then clicking on the DC links. Do check out Tillikumtrainer's link too - I loved her TR before I went.

This is what you do at DC:

There is the main dolphin interaction

If the park is not full you may have the option for a second dolphin interaction

There is the stingray lagoon where you can wade with and pet a whole bunch of friendly stingrays. (Their barbs have been removed) You can also feed them at particular times during the day.

There is the "coral" reef where you can snorkel with tropical fish

There is the tropical river - a lovely, heated river around the coral reef and stingray lagoons and through the aviary. While there are no animals in the water, there ar lots of birds to see along the edges

In the aviary there are many many hand reared brids you can feed. I did not get photos of the prettiest ones.

In the conservation cabana there are scheduled animal interactions and education throughout the day. We regretted we never had the time to do that.

Breakfast, lunch, and snacks are included. The food was adequate, but not the attraction. There was a nice Jamaican band we enjoyed that played on and off all day.

We thought the day was worth every penny! Enjoy!

Thank you all for the information, Ive been researching this and I think I will go, my parents think the pakage (free food and free seaworld admision) Sounds like a deal though they may have to shell out some to get it.

This will only happen if my parents get a reservation which I pray happens soon.

THANK YOU: Floridaner & JLR for the compliment, I try to help as best i could :)

@Floridaner -
One is due soon like this or next month and the other is expected in the fall. Taima looks like she's going to Pop and Katina im gonna say septemeber.. As for the Show cancellation- the first few days they do a baby shamu intro show introducing the new baby to the audience- after all she is the newest baby shamu -

heres a clip of the modified baby shamu show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZtMIoufOQs

i went to Seaworld about 2 months after Malia was born and they would do the show and in between shows Taima and Malia would have the run of the main show pool. Im here holding my breath on Taima to give birth on Friday or saturday.. I wanna see another baby orca born..

I promise to do another trip report beginning tomorrow :)

THANK YOU: Floridaner & JLR for the compliment, I try to help as best i could :)

@Floridaner -
One is due soon like this or next month and the other is expected in the fall. Taima looks like she's going to Pop and Katina im gonna say septemeber.. As for the Show cancellation- the first few days they do a baby shamu intro show introducing the new baby to the audience- after all she is the newest baby shamu -

heres a clip of the modified baby shamu show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZtMIoufOQs

i went to Seaworld about 2 months after Malia was born and they would do the show and in between shows Taima and Malia would have the run of the main show pool. Im here holding my breath on Taima to give birth on Friday or saturday.. I wanna see another baby orca born..

I promise to do another trip report beginning tomorrow :)

Yeah! Can't wait to read it!

On my next disney vacation, my parents want to go off site to dicovery cove and possibly Seaworld, of course ive never been to any other theme park in orlando that doesn't have Disney in the title.

I've been weary of seaworld ever since the recent orca accident, but my mom discribed Discovery Cove to me and it sounded interesting, ive never seen a dolphin before out side of television and movies, plus getting to hang on a island all day sounds fun.

Is their other animals you can look at? How long do you get to meet the dolpins?
Does it get boring staying on the beach all day? and I also read there are people who opose discovery cove because contact with Humans is making the Dolphins sick and their being over feed, do you really think its true?

Just thought I'd give you my impressions!!

It was fantastic!!! :thumbsup2 I loved it all. The dolphin swim was amazing - we had the sweetest dolphin called Kaylee! You are in the water about 30 minutes, and you get to pet the dolphin, then you get taken to deeper water and the dolphin swims you in. You get to see them do all sorts of other things, too. They are truly the most beautiful animals.
There is also an amazing aviary, with birds from all over. You can feed them - they come right onto your arms.
Also there is the snorkel reef, where you can swim for ages, and the stingray pool where you can pet them, too.
All your food and drinks are included in the entry price, which is good - the food is not too bad at all.
Honestly, I would do this again in a minute! I did enjoy all of it. Do it - you really won't regret it at all - especially if you have never seen a dolphin "live".
You will not get bored, trust me!!
Enjoy it! :)

Unfortunatly Taima DIED :scared1:

The baby shamu had a weired position and therefore she and the calf died...
How sad!! :sad1::sad2:

The best way to think of Discovery Cove, is as a most extraordinary beach where crowds are controlled and you are not nickeled and dimed to death because all your costs are included.

There are no rides. The activities are to go in the amazing aviary and feed and interact with hundreds of amazing birds. You can walk into it or swim thru it. You can also snorkel in the reef tank and see thousands of amazing fish or walk among the stingrays in warmer water. The other activity is the dolphin interaction which costs extra. You basically stand in the water and pet the dolphin for most of that thirty minutes, at the very end you let the dolphin tow you about fifty feed by holding on to its fin. For me the dolphin component was my least favorite. We won't be doing it when we go back this year.

The above doesn't sound like a lot but I can say this was by far the favorite experience my family had in Orlando. It is luxurious and so low key after the parks. The food is awesome and all you can eat. It was a strange experience to go to a snack bar and simply help yourself to what you wanted without having to drop twenty bucks there. My kids loved the lazy river that went thru the caves, behind the waterfalls and thru the aviary. The lack of massive crowds was lovely as were the ample beach chairs, the fact that the snorkels, and sun screen and wet suits were all provided.

If you need a constant adrenaline rush, you will not enjoy Discovery Cove. Otherwise, I promise you an wonderful time.

Well, you corrected yourself in the last sentence :-)

You are talking about Discovery Cove and not Sea World... :goodvibes

I totally agree about DC thou and we all LOVE it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter