Woody or not? Star won't say

BRERALEX

That's a wrap.
Woody or not? Star won't say
Tom Hanks refuses to commit to voicing Toy Story character in sequels
By BRUCE KIRKLAND
Toronto Sun
Tom Hanks will not yet commit to doing the voice of the cowboy doll Woody for any more Toy Story sequels.

"I don't know," Hanks said bluntly in a New York press conference when pressed on the matter.

The sticking point, Hanks indicated, is that the Toy Story franchise will be controlled by Disney, because Pixar -- the semi-autonomous animation studio that created Toy Story -- splits off from the House of Mouse after one more release in 2005.

Talks geared to extending their co-production and distribution agreement have already broken off despite the phenomenal success of the Disney/Pixar relationship, which includes the current mega-hit The Incredibles. It is the sixth film in the original seven-film contract. All of them have been hits.

"Quite frankly," Hanks says of his involvement in Toy Story and its first sequel, "the creative team that put together the original Toy Story was very specific and quite organic to the success of the process.

"Not that there aren't other talented people that would be involved (if and when Disney goes it alone on the planned Toy Story 3 and Toy Story 4). But I don't know. That would be a bridge to cross when I come to it."

The Disney empire is in turmoil at its executive level. Disney head honcho Michael Eisner's failure to negotiate an extension to the lucrative Disney/Pixar marriage has become an Achilles Heel that has weakened his position as he fights off factions who want him deposed or at least retired early. Even long-time Disney executive Roy E. Disney -- Walt's nephew -- wants Eisner out.

I don't buy the reasons being Pixar vs. Disney. I believe the "sticking point" has more to do with a different animation competitor who happens to be very close to Mr. Hanks personally.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter