WooHoo! Cake-o-rama!

mbb

<font color=green>Wishin' & Clappin' & always Beli
Made my first practice cakes last night...10",7" and a 3":cool1:

They survived the oven nicely, and going to frost now...

The cupcakes were yummy - at least the kids and DH said so;);)

Going to do a blue buttercream with white cornelli lace...and then take them to the park this afternoon for our boys' class picnic...

...I'm sure the kids will appreciate them:teeth:

Thanks for all of your help and encouragement:goodvibes
I'll take pictures!! LOL!!

:sunny:

It's done!

...not sure I really want to post a picture of it;) I will, but for a first effort, it looks, well...I'm going to go with OK, and that I'm amazed I even did it!! LOL

The buttercream frosting turned out to be the ready made BC in the can stuff..I figured the kids like that better, and was less work - but REALLY hard to spread smoothly.

So Lesson 1 learned: Learn to make fondant:teeth:

Then I plopped cake#2 on top of cake#1...and now we're calling the cake:
"a 2Tier Offset"

Lesson 2 learned: Always have a good back-up professional cake term:teeth:

And Lesson 3: I had fun, and going to try again!:)

I don't know if this would work for what you are doing, but you can soften canned icing in the microwave for a few seconds.

I do that with the eclair cake I make -- the one with graham crackers but I melt it so I can pour it over the cake in the pan.

And don't be hard on yourself -- I'm sure it turned out great. I would love to see a picture

can't wait to see a pic! :)

try your hand at the marshmallow fondant. it's really easy, just takes a bit of time to mix in all the powdered sugar. tastes good, too...especially if you add some flavoring...you can use canned icing underneath the fondant, too. that's what I did for my first fondant cake... :thumbsup2

c

Do you have a foolproof cake recipe? I make the worst cakes! :rotfl2:

I'm not a bad cook, but not much of a baker. My cakes fall, crack, split.. you name it, I've done it. :scared1:

Also, I have 10 inch cake pans, maybe that's part of my issue.

I have a fool proof recipe, yes, yes I do:goodvibes
"That's* the only reason I tried this:teeth::teeth:

Cryssi was kind enough to post this a while back - it's her fool proof recipe, and it really is easy and delicious!!:goodvibes ..
She also sent me www.cakecentral.com Have fun!! LOL!

2 boxes any flavour cake mix
1 envelope Dream Whip
1 small package instant pudding
1 small package cooked pudding (but not cooked)
8 large eggs
2 1/3 cups water
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup Crisco oil

Combine all ingredients until moistened
Mix on medium speed for 3-4 minutes
Bake at 350*..at 20 minutes check for doneness.

I used white cake mixes with vanilla puddings.
You can use whatever mixes and pudding combos you like.
the puddings and dream whip are not prepared, just open the envelopes and add.

I dumped everything into my Kitchen Aid, and let 'er whirl while I prepared the cake pans...shortening and flour and parchment on the bottoms.

The batter does really increase in volume while mixing, so keep an eye on it though:)

I used my springform pans, and the 10" turned out fine - but it took close to an hour to bake.. had to trim off the bottom a smidge - it got a little more brown than I like;)

HTH!!

ooh, you did use the white mix with vanilla...isn't it the best?? :goodvibes :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

I can't take credit for that recipe, though...cakecentral is the greatest (other than DIS, of course! lol)

MBB- Sounds like you are well on your way to that anniversay cake. Thanks for the support you lent when I was doing dd's wedding cake. I didn't post pictures because I don't know how! I may try that posted cake receipe. The only trouble is that it isn't helping my diet one bit! Grammy

How many 10" pans would that recipe make? I have a standard KitchenAid, not the professional but the regular one. 4.5 quarts I think? Would this recipe fix in my mixer?

Two 10" pans for sure:thumbsup2

And I think it would fit just fine in the KA 4.5 quart bowl, but I would keep a close eye on it while mixing - just in case:goodvibes I've got the 5, and it was fine - but I was amazed at how much it pouffed up!:upsidedow

I took the whole thing to the staff room at my kids school (there wasn't going to be enough cake for 80+ kids:teeth: )....

...and was given back the empty tray with strict finger wagging from the school secretary:

"No more cakes!", she says...

She's the only one in the office all day, and she thinks she ate the whole middle layer all by herself:rotfl: :rotfl:

So I guess it passed the test!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter