Workers Rally at Disneyworld

Just a quickie from the inside---DH mgmt castmembervdue to retire in about 3 years.

Disney changed retirement program brings a sad smile to my face. DH has participated in 2 of Disney 's many retirement programs as he moved through the company in 30+ years.h

His standard retirement is currently funded by Disney 64%....not a typo. His UNION pension-carefully protected by his Union Reps....keeping Disney Beancounters in check? Funded 123%.

Last contract negotiation Disney proposed the Union forego pension contributions to pay to other division's poorly funded pensions. All at a time Disney was breaking records for profits. Union told them to pay their own bills and DH's pension contribution remained unchanged.

Thank you for listening. Sorry to rant. I am sure all other large corporations treat staff the same. You just expect a touch more humanity and responsibility from Disney.

I hope these people have someone to stand up and speak for them or Disney will run them into the ground and give bonus' to the people who do it.

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/disney-workers-rally-push-more-benefits/ngCLP/

I am just stirring the pot but this does not bode well for Disney, you got to keep the workers happy...:stir:

Keep stirring if you like. It's just labor negotiations nothing more. I've been on both sides and you could practically write a checklist to check off for each tactic each side uses. This is the try to get media and public on your side as leverage against management. Item check marked now on to the next check box which is probably management talking about their generosity over the years. And so on and so on until all check boxes have been checked and an agreement reached. Just labor negotiations.

I am just stirring the pot but this does not bode well for Disney, you got to keep the workers happy...:stir:
. . . Just labor negotiations.

1) I have been at the Company Table negotiating with/against UAW, IBEW and such.
. . . with great success
. . . in fact, one of my UAW contracts is taught at Univ of Wisc (Milwaukee)
. . . this, due to the fact the terms are so pro-company
2) This is just a tactic, and has ZERO relevance.
. . . it might be "good TV"
. . . but, it has no effect upon bargaining
. . . I have seen it and I know how management laughs at such exhibitions
. . . besides, WDW has already sent their offer to the homes of WDW employees
3) ZERO.
4) Plus, the union folks just do not know how to negotiate.
. . . the union is over matched in negotiating skill(s)
. . . union reps are easily blindsided
. . . negotiating teams are very myopic and can't see how to make deals
5) The unions at Disney have practically no power.
6) The only power a union has is a strike
7 Disney unions cannot strike for these reasons,
. . . most WDW employees are not part of the union and will not strike
. . . most employees couldn't afford a strike, even if there was one
. . . the union does not have a big strike fund to subsidize strikers
. . . WDW has other ways to cover any job action or employee walk-off *

* Bus drivers were going to have a "massive' strike a few years ago. Disney
simply called MEARS and asked for drivers on that day. Over 200 MEARS
folks showed up and were fed breakfast by Disney. The WDW drivers jumped
into their buses, and Disney paid all the MEARS folks 4-hrs pay for their kind
help. VOILÀ, no strike.

1) I have been at the Company Table negotiating with/against UAW, IBEW and such.
. . . with great success
3) ZERO.

help. VOILÀ, no strike.

Beg to differ about Union Negotiators. I know some darn good ones. That's a mistake many make when making blanket statements, as soon as they allow no exceptions, the statement is false.

. . . with great success
3) ZERO.

help. VOILÀ, no strike.

This would be easier to understand if you wrote complete sentences and not rambling points.

I also don't agree with your comment about union negotiators, that was a pretty blanket statement.

Disney wages are much lower then what they should be.Security only makes 10.55 per hour and honestly a security person is worth at least 13 bucks an hour.

Disneyandphilliesfan said:
Disney wages are much lower then what they should be.Security only makes 10.55 per hour and honestly a security person is worth at least 13 bucks an hour.

Tru... To a point. Have you seen some of Disney " security "? I don't think a 75 year old over weight security guard will be ANY help if something goes down.

Now don't get me wrong there are some who have the potential to help but let's be real most of them are only good for telling kids to not stand on something while trying to get a better view of a parade or fire works....

Agree with the others...this is just posturing.

Here is what always amuses me: As negotiations are approaching, we invariably see these reports low compensation, worker demonstrations and so on. A few years ago there were tearful YouTube videos from Cast Members.

Then a few months later an agreement is reached which is overwhelmingly approved by union membership. In 2011, over 70% of STC workers approved the (current) contract, with the union president calling it "a victory for the workers who are represented by the unions."

Fast forward 3 years and we're back to hearing about horrible pay and working conditions. :rolleyes1

Wash...rinse...repeat.

I'm not saying that it's a pointless exercise...just that the public gamesmanship is mostly laughable.

As a customer if you're upset with the compensation, best thing you can do is take advantage of every opportunity to help. There are MANY tipped positions at Walt Disney World: housekeeping, bell services, valet, waiter/waitress, bartender, DME bus driver, etc. No, you can't slip a few bucks into Pluto's paw or to the attraction attendant. But if you feel that Disney CMs are underpaid, dig into your pocket and do something about it.

Got to remember that contract negotiations are often a lot of staged drama. In real life though, the actual decision making is done by a handful of individuals on both sides.

If the company and the union felt a contract was fair 3 years ago, its hard to see why it wouldn't be fair now. Its simply time to project the wage/benefit packages out for the next x years.

I'm all for the CM's fighting for a better contract. I'm just a little put off by them marching up and down Hotel Plaza drive in full costume making all kinds of noise. Maybe its just me, but they look like a bad amateur hour! Not sure thats the route they should take. :confused3

Beg to differ about Union Negotiators. I know some darn good ones . . .

OK, but . . .
. . . How many WDW Union Negotiators do you personally know?
. . . How many of the WDW Union Negotiators that you know are good ones?
. . . Unless you are physically in the room, how do you know if they are good negotiators?
. . . If you classify them as good ones, what is your comparison for bad ones?

PS - Other than WDW Negotiators, at how many other union negotiations where you physically present?

OK, but . . .
. . . How many WDW Union Negotiators do you personally know?
. . . How many of the WDW Union Negotiators that you know are good ones?
. . . Unless you are physically in the room, how do you know if they are good negotiators?
. . . If you classify them as good ones, what is your comparison for bad ones?

PS - Other than WDW Negotiators, at how many other union negotiations where you physically present?

Wait...didn't you make a general statement about union negotiators? Why is it ok for you but not others?

But do they get 75% of their health insurance covered and a pension while making $10.55 an hour?

I used to work in an hourly role, the "wage" was low. But, the additional benefits I received I felt more than made up for it. Medical/dental/vision all at a significantly lower rate than you can find anywhere else. Discounts around central florida just for working for Disney, plus a lot of other benefits available that many do not take advantage of. If you were to take all of those away and have to pay full price like everyone else, those wages would be much higher. I easily save $5,000 a year just by taking advantage of Disney perks. My mortgage, home insurance, auto insurance,health benefits, and cell phone plans are all significantly discounted, just because I work for Disney. I plan on utilizing their tuition reimbursement program as well as I go for a Masters.

I've drunk the Kool aid and not ashamed of it...

. . . with great success
3) ZERO.

help. VOILÀ, no strike.

Rusty I usually agree with you, but in this case I HAVE TO SIDE with some of the other posters, That blanket statement that here are no good union negotiators isn't correct or fair.

Of course you have to define what is *good*.

In my experience *good* on either side is the team that works for the good of the workers and or the long term life of the company, which benefits everyone.

*BAD* is the team that is just trying thier best to beat down the other side and not looking at the long term best for workers and/or the company. They are the ones usually on a ego trip. To the detriment of everyone, except themselves.

just MHO

AKK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter