Working the System - A NYE PTR - Link to TR is up! 1/13

From my understanding, there is so much luggage at Midway from all of the delays with the snow and the frigid air, that they are lined up down hallways. They'd go broke trying to deliver it all.

I guess but still what a pain for folks who might live really far away from the airport!

Welcome back, Cynthia!

Sorry I am so late to welcome you back, but when we got back from DLRP it got a bit hectic here, so I am now frantically trying to catch up on my threads. ;)

You aren't late at all! I am very behind everywhere and you just had a trip yourself! :goodvibes

And hey, you are talking to the people that packed 2 kinds of rum (my mom packed Gin) and then bought beer and wine at target thanks to Pat running me to the store. I think Pat was a bit amazed at just how full my grocery cart was (not just of beer and wine but of Food mind you) :rotfl: but I am happy to say virtually all of it was consumed!

Well, thanks. We enjoyed every drop, I have to say! And honestly, we drank almost nothing IN the parks this time.

I totally copied your idea though and we carried on some frozen bagels and bread which came in handy for some while I was off at the store :thumbsup2
There's just something comforting about having your own food with you, especially when kids are whining they're hungry! And paranoid me, I also make sandwiches for the flight home just in case of delay.

Welcome back Cynthia! You have been missed by a LOT of people here! Seriously though, I'm sure it's good to be home and have the next trip to look forward to in May! Which is even better now that you booked your airfare. :thumbsup2

Congrats for signing up for not a 5, not a 10 but a 15K!!! Wow! You are a running maching. :worship: That's so awesome. And it's at DL??

I followed your FB posts during your trip and I'm looking forward to reading about it!

Official Welcome Back Here! :thumbsup2

I can't wait to hear all about your trip! From your FB posts it sounds like you had a fantastic time.

15K? You go girl!

You know - with all these people jumping on the Disney run bandwagon, I have to say I am intrigued. Looks like when we meet for our 2016 fall trip (since that seems to be our rotation) we might just have to schedule a Disney run.

I'm very excited for our May trip! Plus I have a little escape planned at the end of Feb which is going to include a quick Disney stop,

Well, thanks. We enjoyed every drop, I have to say! And honestly, we drank almost nothing IN the parks this time.

I wish we could say the same! :rotfl2: actually we spent a lot less that I'd expected so that was good. Of course we spent it elsewhere so it's not like I saved but...

There's just something comforting about having your own food with you, especially when kids are whining they're hungry! And paranoid me, I also make sandwiches for the flight home just in case of delay.

We will often make stuff for the flight home if we have it. We packed what was left and ate some of it on the way back but it wasn't really a full meal's worth of stuff, basically snacks. The rest actually made it into the pantry (or will once I fully unpack) :rotfl2:

Welcome back Cynthia! You have been missed by a LOT of people here! Seriously though, I'm sure it's good to be home and have the next trip to look forward to in May! Which is even better now that you booked your airfare. :thumbsup2

I'll be glad to get caught up on my threads, I've been horrid! Right now I'm actually working on the April DL trip, have to figure out tickets and that's a bit wacky as I have to upgrade Evan's ticket that comes with the band trip and it's ending up to be more days than I think we likely need so trying to map all that out. I don't need to deal with mine and Eric's really even until we get there but I have to figure out Evan's basically today.

Congrats for signing up for not a 5, not a 10 but a 15K!!! Wow! You are a running maching. :worship: That's so awesome. And it's at DL??

no, I wish! It's a training race for me. I am planning to do the DL 1/2 this summer. The 15K is a nice mid point. It's a bit far out from the actual 1/2 to truly count as a training run but the price, location and course was right so I conned Jeff into doing it with me. I have done a 5K and a 10K so it was the logicial next step. Mid distance races like that are a bit hard to find though.

I followed your FB posts during your trip and I'm looking forward to reading about it!

Thanks! We had fun

Official Welcome Back Here! :thumbsup2

I can't wait to hear all about your trip! From your FB posts it sounds like you had a fantastic time.

We really did, I would go during the holidays again. It had it's challenges but it really was manageable.

15K? You go girl!

You know - with all these people jumping on the Disney run bandwagon, I have to say I am intrigued. Looks like when we meet for our 2016 fall trip (since that seems to be our rotation) we might just have to schedule a Disney run.

:thumbsup2 I wasn't sure if we were fall 2015 or 2016 but figured it was one or the other :rotfl2: and we'd have 2 to pick from...ToT 10 miler or the Wine and Dine Half :)

Actually I think Wine and Dine might offer a 10K as well. Both are nightime races.

I'm very excited for our May trip! Plus I have a little escape planned at the end of Feb which is going to include a quick Disney stop,

I am too! Embroiled in the DL trip at the moment, have to figure out Evan's park ticket like today as the program will let him upgrade but I have to let them know now.

:wave2: Welcome back! Glad to hear it was a great trip :) what stress though for the sister that took so long to get home :(

Glad you're back and in the thick of planning the band trip! Don't forget to plan in a little time for a meet up! Perhaps we can take a little break from your crazy schedule and enjoy a few adult beverages at DLR!

:wave2: Welcome back! Glad to hear it was a great trip :) what stress though for the sister that took so long to get home :(

No kidding! Hopefully my DVC travel insurance will cover their extra costs. Looks like it should.

Welcome back Cytnhia! Can't wait to read about the trip. :goodvibes

Thanks Glenn!

Glad you're back and in the thick of planning the band trip! Don't forget to plan in a little time for a meet up! Perhaps we can take a little break from your crazy schedule and enjoy a few adult beverages at DLR!

You are definitely on the list! I don't think this will be that crazy of a trip actually, in fact I think we have more days there than we likely need. I've been trying to figure out tickets today as I have to let the band TA know on Evan's ticket. Here is what it looks like right now.

Sat 4/19 - arrive mid afternoon, no parks. Absolutely no clue what we will do for dinner. This is a studio night and while we will hit the grocery store this day I'm not going to attempt a meal in the studio with my folks. We may well hit the store twice given how small a studio fridge is. We will have a car.

Sun 4/20 - Easter. Move to 1B. Evan with the band, park day for us if they are performing. Ideally we fit in church and easter dinner at the villa but it will depend on the performance schedule. I hope their performance is Monday although Eric might be dying if we are there for 1.5 days and haven't set foot in the parks yet. I'd love to do breakfast at Schooner or Later but I know how busy it gets and imagine that Easter is even worse.

Mon 4/21 - Evan with the band, park day for us if they are performing.

Tuesday 4/22 - Evan with the band until about 3pm. I am thinking this is a non park day for the rest of us.

Weds 4/23 - Park day for all of us, thinking lunch at Blue Bayou

Thursday 4/24 - Possibly a park day but not sure. Storytellers Breakfast. Our flight doesn't leave until 8pm.

So Evan will have a 4 day hopper for sure but he may need 5. Trying to decide if I have the TA get him a 4 or the 5 to be safe. I could add the 5th day there though.

For Eric I'll probably buy a 3 day here at Safeway to get the gas rewards and then upgrade there if needed.

For me I am thinking the DVC AP still makes the most sense given the August DL 1/2 trip. Worst case I break even, best I save plus I'll get the 10% discount.

Pending the performance schedule, church and all that my folks may visit friends for a day. I'd like to hit the beach but I'm not sure either boy cares and I know at that time of year the weather can be variable, I think it was in the 60's the whole time for our April 2010 trip. Plus unless we get 2 cars, folks and I can't split off too well. So, I'm not really sure at all!

I would love your input on dining and tickets, BB is a sentimental thing so it's kind of a must do and Evan has requested a breakfast so Storytellers seems the best fit. Beyond that I am wide open. Will likely do all the rest of the breakfasts in the villa and maybe one additional dinner on the Tuesday night.

Welcome back and I join in with the "glad you made it home safely"!!

So excited to hear about your trip!
We (well, mostly me) are in the throes of planning our DL trip now too. We will be there in 2 months! I have to sit down with the family and decide on some meals. Not too many - probably only 2 sit downs. I've been reading menus a lot lately.
Also trying to squeeze in a day to sight see off property. Thinking Sunday so there's less traffic to deal with.

Hope you can get all the de-decorating done and start your TR soon. I'll be there!!

You are definitely on the list!

Cool! :goodvibes

Sat 4/19 - arrive mid afternoon, no parks. Absolutely no clue what we will do for dinner. This is a studio night and while we will hit the grocery store this day I'm not going to attempt a meal in the studio with my folks. We may well hit the store twice given how small a studio fridge is. We will have a car.

I would recommend hitting the Ralphs it's on the corner of Chapman and Euclid. There is a Food 4 Less on Katella, but unless you are buying just packaged goods, I don't recommend F4L meat or produce.

Sun 4/20 - Easter. Move to 1B. Evan with the band, park day for us if they are performing. Ideally we fit in church and easter dinner at the villa but it will depend on the performance schedule. I hope their performance is Monday although Eric might be dying if we are there for 1.5 days and haven't set foot in the parks yet. I'd love to do breakfast at Schooner or Later but I know how busy it gets and imagine that Easter is even worse.

I don't know why I thought Easter was on 3/23 this year???? Schooner or Later in the Long Beach Marina?

Mon 4/21 - Evan with the band, park day for us if they are performing.

Tuesday 4/22 - Evan with the band until about 3pm. I am thinking this is a non park day for the rest of us.

Weds 4/23 - Park day for all of us, thinking lunch at Blue Bayou

Thursday 4/24 - Possibly a park day but not sure. Storytellers Breakfast. Our flight doesn't leave until 8pm.

My best days to come out would be either Monday or Wednesday, afternoons are better so that I can get some work done earlier in the day. Tuesdays are band, and I'd probably rather come out before the last day. We want to do it on a park day for you, there's a great place we can go. The E's would probably be bored, but maybe we can sneak off for adult time.

I would love your input on dining and tickets, BB is a sentimental thing so it's kind of a must do and Evan has requested a breakfast so Storytellers seems the best fit. Beyond that I am wide open. Will likely do all the rest of the breakfasts in the villa and maybe one additional dinner on the Tuesday night.

Trader Sam's is awesome (again adult time), but Steakhouse 55 has a new chef starting at the end of this month and we are looking forward to eating there on our February trip.

We're also going to Carthay Circle next week to give that another try.

Welcome back Cynthia! Glad it was a fun trip and drama free which is always a plus:thumbsup2 Yay for booking your flight for May too! That's right around the corner. Are you saying you did not partake in the Cronut on this trip?!

Welcome back and I join in with the "glad you made it home safely"!!

me too, I think we lucked out with our travel dates!

So excited to hear about your trip!
We (well, mostly me) are in the throes of planning our DL trip now too. We will be there in 2 months! I have to sit down with the family and decide on some meals. Not too many - probably only 2 sit downs. I've been reading menus a lot lately.
Also trying to squeeze in a day to sight see off property. Thinking Sunday so there's less traffic to deal with.

Hope you can get all the de-decorating done and start your TR soon. I'll be there!!

Hmmn, probably depends on what it is you want to see as to when the best day would be. I will look forward to seeing what you pick and what you think, I may need a pre-TR installment sneak peek update from you!

Cool! :goodvibes

I would recommend hitting the Ralphs it's on the corner of Chapman and Euclid. There is a Food 4 Less on Katella, but unless you are buying just packaged goods, I don't recommend F4L meat or produce.

Perfect, I am very familiar with Ralph's. Do they have decent seafood there? Historically we have salmon on Easter and it'd be nice to do that. The more I look at things I really hope Evan performs Monday. We don't land until 4:30 and it might be just as easy to wait on the grocery store till Sunday, hit it after church. Won't know until about 3 weeks out I think though.

I don't know why I thought Easter was on 3/23 this year???? Schooner or Later in the Long Beach Marina?

Yes, Schooner or Later in Long Beach. Very yummy breakfast! It would kind of depend on where we end up choosing for church, if we can fit church in, if Evan performs, all kinds of variables on Easter itself. I kind of figure no sense in even really thinking about it until I know the schedule.

Easter is crazy late. It's the first time since Evan started school that our spring break has overlapped with Easter and of course we have a band trip over it! Usually it's been great as our break is late and so we miss any spring break crowds. Not this year.

My best days to come out would be either Monday or Wednesday, afternoons are better so that I can get some work done earlier in the day. Tuesdays are band, and I'd probably rather come out before the last day. We want to do it on a park day for you, there's a great place we can go. The E's would probably be bored, but maybe we can sneak off for adult time.

They are pretty good at most things and dining experiences, you should have seen how long we were at the Animation Gallery. I have to admit it was nice to dine with just them for a couple of days after dealing with my sisters picky kids (well one in particular). It was SOOO much easier!

Let's plan on Monday if that work's best. I won't know performance times until about 3 weeks out I think but I'd imagine it will be easy enough to work around even if it is Monday afternoon. Evan wouldn't be able to join us, it would be my folks and Eric with me.

Trader Sam's is awesome (again adult time), but Steakhouse 55 has a new chef starting at the end of this month and we are looking forward to eating there on our February trip.

I definitely plan to hit Trader Sam's! I have never been and it's on the must do list. Very likely Saturday night even lol. We will have to figure out how to work it with the kids. Depending on where we eat Saturday, I could see an arrival drink there before kids are cut out and then maybe again Tuesday night and leave the kids back in the room. I don't like them begin at the pool without us but they might both be ready for an in-room movie while the adults go out.

We will likely be keeping most of the meals a bit more casual given the 9 night extravaganza of eating we just had, I would like to try Carthay Circle but not sure if it will make the cut. I haven't been able to quite justify steakhouse pricing for the kids...which is silly when I think about how much Biergarten of all places cost for New Years Eve! Have you heard anything good (or bad) about Naples? Could be an easy first night option. Last time we were there we went to JT Schmid's. Which was ok but overpriced we thought and we weren't over the moon over the beer. At least that's what I recall but it might be worth another shot. I'd love to find something along those lines as my dad would like that but I also would prefer not to drive. LOL! We also had a decent spontaneous lunch at Tortilla Joe's so that's an option for the 1st night as well. I wouldn't mind narrowing down counter service in park options for a lunch and a dinner though, just not sure how much villa eating for lunch we will do. Ugh, need to figure it out but I guess I have over 3 months to figure it out and a good month or more before I can make reservations. Not sure how fast some of those would go anyway.

Of course as I look at the menu's the kids might prefer Cafe Orleans over Blue Bayou but the experience of BB is so cool and one of my most memorable childhood memories....ugh, I don't know! Seems silly to eat at both, it'd be nice to have one DLR and one DCA but the only reasonable sit down option there seems to be wine country trattoria. Not sure if the dinner package is needed or makes sense for WOC.

Welcome back Cynthia! Glad it was a fun trip and drama free which is always a plus:thumbsup2 Yay for booking your flight for May too! That's right around the corner. Are you saying you did not partake in the Cronut on this trip?!

I did partake in the Cronut!

Just not nearly enough of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 I wasn't sure if we were fall 2015 or 2016 but figured it was one or the other :rotfl2: and we'd have 2 to pick from...ToT 10 miler or the Wine and Dine Half :)

Wait - I think we ARE 2015. That's right - because I am planning a winter/early spring 2015 DL trip, but I also wanted to plan a 2015 Christmas trip for Denny and I. So - hmmmmmm - I guess that means maybe Denny and I will go in January 2016 but maybe we'll go in September instead. Decisions. Decisions. The F&W 1/2 marathon sounds pretty neat. AND its at the end of F&W which brings it into Christmas.

Wait - I think we ARE 2015. That's right - because I am planning a winter/early spring 2015 DL trip, but I also wanted to plan a 2015 Christmas trip for Denny and I. So - hmmmmmm - I guess that means maybe Denny and I will go in January 2016 but maybe we'll go in September instead. Decisions. Decisions. The F&W 1/2 marathon sounds pretty neat. AND its at the end of F&W which brings it into Christmas.

Decisions is right! I was playing with points yesterday, I think we are looking at Aulani for either mid winter or spring break 2015 and then hopefully fall 2015 with you for F&W. I hadn't realized that it would spill over into Xmas decorations on the 1/2 marathon dates, that would be very cool! I'd be up for either, ToT is during food and wine as well but the after party at the wine and dine 1/2 sounds like a ton of fun and is probably my preference (though I do love Halloween!). It would be bizarre to run that far in the dark and that late at night. Granted we run in the dark all the time now but it's usually only 4-5 miles and longer runs are in daylight.

On a totally unrelated subject...I think we should check out Spice Road table on our first night :goodvibes I don't know if it's going to be a reservation location or not but sure seems like soft opening is coming soon based on what we saw today.

:welcome: back girl. :goodvibes I can't believe you're going to Disneyland in just a few months! :banana: Can't wait to read about this trip. I loved your FB pics.

I am starting to get excited for DL though slightly overwhelmed by trying to figure out dining and tickets as I really am clueless. I just hope it's nice weather, I need SUN! Consistent sun. I know it will be cool in the evenings but I'd really really really like some pool lounger time! I'll get it in May but oh that seems far way right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter