World of Color Superthread

As early as you are willing. As with any of the WoC viewing areas, the best spots will go first. I don't remember exactly what time it says the viewing area opens, but there will be guests there before then. If you don't care as much about where you're watching from, then you can wait until closer to show time. Personally, I'd probably aim for about 15 minutes before the viewing area opens. While you probably won't be the first guests in, you should still have a shot at a decent-to-okay spot.

We went last week and arrived about 75-80 min prior to the show. There are already quite a few people in line ahead of us. It was quite frustrating that they held us in the waiting queue until 15 minutes before showtime. I had planned to go get food/drinks once we had found a spot. They then herded us all in on the second tier and were not allowing anyone down to the bottom level. I was assuming once we got toward the middle we could go down to the bottom but I ended up having to backtrack through all of the people back to the end and then go down to the bottom level which they had opened by that time. If you want to be the very front just be sure to ask for the wet zone area and keep going all the way down to the bottom. You will get wet but the view is great! We would’ve been one of the first people down there but as it was we ended up one person deep on the rail but the family was extremely nice enough to stand 2 deep and give us rail 2 deep. Thankfully, because they were very tall!
Good luck and enjoy!

Ps...we always wear dollar ponchos. I think everyone around us thought we were crazy but then they were very jealous by the end of the show !

I’m planning my first trip for next month and had no idea you could get wet!
Not just wet. Soaked to the bone. It's happened to the people around us twice. We were safe and sound in our ponchos. The view from the front rail (especially yellow zone) is not to be missed. It's my favorite experience at any Disney park. Period.

Have fun!

Thanks everyone. I told my friends all of the replies. They may just not do the dining packages and use the fastpasses.
If they choose to go with the free FPs, make sure they read the first post (with the map!) of the World of Color Superthread and that they understand that the more time they invest waiting for spots, the better those spots will be. Show up at the last minute at your own peril!

If they choose to go with the free FPs, make sure they read the first post (with the map!) of the World of Color Superthread and that they understand that the more time they invest waiting for spots, the better those spots will be. Show up at the last minute at your own peril!
Yes. I warned them. I will warn them again lol. The dining packages are just too much for them right now. I will be with them all day Sunday, but will head out around 9, they will be at DCA for world of color without me.

Yes. I warned them. I will warn them again lol. The dining packages are just too much for them right now. I will be with them all day Sunday, but will head out around 9, they will be at DCA for world of color without me.
Go over the map on the first page of this superthread with them and have them pick 2 or 3 spots they want. Then go to Paradise Bay during the day and actually look at those spots so they know where to go when the viewing area opens. If their first choice is gone, they can head immediately for spot 2, etc. Giving yourself plenty of time to wait and knowing where you want to go are key to getting good viewing for WOC with free FPs!

Go over the map on the first page of this superthread with them and have them pick 2 or 3 spots they want. Then go to Paradise Bay during the day and actually look at those spots so they know where to go when the viewing area opens. If their first choice is gone, they can head immediately for spot 2, etc. Giving yourself plenty of time to wait and knowing where you want to go are key to getting good viewing for WOC with free FPs!
Perfect thank you! I am not as well versed when it comes to WOC. This will help

We were hoping to do a WOC dinning package in October, but park hours and packages have yet to be released even though we are less than 60 days out. I read recently that there is a new WOC for the Oogie Boogie bash in Sept & October, which we aren't planning to attend. What does this mean for the regular WOC? Will it be held on non Oogie Boogie dates? This is the first year that the Oogie Boogie will be held at California Adventure park, so I don't know what to make of this. Anyone know?

We're doing the World of Color Dessert Party in a couple weeks. I did it a few years ago and remember lining up early and getting a table I liked, but I just don't remember how early I got in line. The dessert party start time is 8:15. What time should my husband and I get in line? 7? 7:15? I always seem to underestimate when people will start lining up for things like this. TIA!

When we did the dessert party a few years ago we got in line 45 minutes the start time. We were the 5th or 6th party in line. We still had a choice of a low or high table.

I just did it a couple weeks ago. Showtime was 10:15, ticket said 9:30, and we showed up around 9:15. There were at least 10 parties in front of us, and plenty more got in line behind us as we waited. We ended up with a great front row lowtop table at the top of the steps.

We got in line about 8:20 for a 9:30 party a couple of weeks ago and there was just one party in front of us. A bit on the early side but we were a party of six, and it was two people’s first time at the party and I really wanted the best possible table (front row high top). I don’t mind getting in line early as one person can hold the spot while others can go to the bathroom, get snacks, even do nearby rides like Little Mermaid.

Not just wet. Soaked to the bone. It's happened to the people around us twice. We were safe and sound in our ponchos. The view from the front rail (especially yellow zone) is not to be missed. It's my favorite experience at any Disney park. Period.
That is a bold statement :goodvibes
World of Color is my favorite show, but I’ve never viewed from the front rail. I’ll make an effort to view from the front rail on my next visit :idea:

That is a bold statement :goodvibes
World of Color is my favorite show, but I’ve never viewed from the front rail. I’ll make an effort to view from the front rail on my next visit :idea:
Viewing from the front rail in the wet zone really is a different experience than viewing from any of the Dining Package areas or any of the "big picture" views. We love the wet zone (but only when the wind is blowing away from the area!) -- it really is fun, people sing along and dance (when it isn't too packed), and the super up close view of the fountains and colors just sucks you into the show. If you wear glasses, bring a cleaning cloth!

Viewing from the front rail in the wet zone really is a different experience than viewing from any of the Dining Package areas or any of the "big picture" views. We love the wet zone (but only when the wind is blowing away from the area!) -- it really is fun, people sing along and dance (when it isn't too packed), and the super up close view of the fountains and colors just sucks you into the show. If you wear glasses, bring a cleaning cloth!
Sounds like a lot of fun(would love to try that out...) but I guess you’ll have to arrive pretty early to secure those spots... and I really can’t stand that long in one spot (we did WOC a couple of years ago and arrived like 15 min before time stated on the FP slip and we had to stand almost the entire time...all that standing and waiting in one was horrible...and all that for 3 row somewhere in the middle with a mediocre view...that’s why we consider the dessert party)

Sounds like a lot of fun(would love to try that out...) but I guess you’ll have to arrive pretty early to secure those spots... and I really can’t stand that long in one spot (we did WOC a couple of years ago and arrived like 15 min before time stated on the FP slip and we had to stand almost the entire time...all that standing and waiting in one was horrible...and all that for 3 row somewhere in the middle with a mediocre view...that’s why we consider the dessert party)
It isn't always that bad -- not everyone wants to be up front in the wet zone! If you bring ponchos, you can be there any time (who cares about wind direction!), so you wouldn't have to be as picky about the weather as we are. If you aren't solo, take turns holding the spots and leaving the area. We take turns going for snacks and drinks and bringing them back so that everyone can sit back against the railing and enjoy.
For other free FP viewing, you really need to invest at least 90 minutes to get great spots -- that will almost guarantee spots up at a railing where you can sit while you wait and lean back on the rail. Again, take turns holding the spots and leaving to get snacks for everyone. We bring back sundaes from Ghirardelli and make our own dessert party. :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!