World of Color Superthread

I don't have experience with 1st vs. 2nd show, but just wanted to let you know the crowds picked up significantly today. At first, I thought it was due to it being the last day before the SoCal Select passes were blocked out, but majority of the people seemed to be first time visitors. I commented about the crowd pickup today after 2pm, and a few CMs agreed that there was a significant uptick in 1st time visitors. The wait times don't even really seem to reflect the crowd, because a lot of people were more focused on the shows as far as I could tell. So while wait times were higher today, most people were in the walkways enjoying holiday food or just trying to escape the lines in every quiet spot I know of.

...How have crowds been lately for the second show?
I just returned from my visit for Candlelight, and watched WOC twice.

The second WOC show Sunday December 8 at 10:15PM was very lightly attended. The Dessert Party for the second show was reduced to the "original" area, with the tables and chairs in the expanded area (house right) already removed. Even with the smaller area, several tables were empty or only had parties of 2.
Fastpasses were not being checked.

The single WOC show on Tuesday December 10 at 10:00PM was full in all areas.

I would expect the crowds for the second show would be larger on Saturday (vs Sunday), but you will likely still be able to get a "decent spot" without a dining package or dessert party.

Season of Light has been upgraded quite a bit from last year, and is now my favorite version of WOC -- of course any version is better than the terrible WOC Villainous (which I hope never returns)

Thanks! We decided to just take our chances and had no problem walking up to a great spot about 20 minutes before the second show last night. I wouldn't say it was empty but I would have regretted having paid for the dessert party (though I could see there were lots of people who did). Season of Light was wonderful as always and even DD14 who "hates World of Color" told me at least 5 times thank you for making me stay because she discovered she loved the holiday version.

On a side note, maybe it's already been discussed here but when I was exploring my options I noticed that they are now offering a WoC dining package for dinner at Storytellers. At first I thought maybe it was to fill in when CC goes down for refurb in January but they're offering it now while CC is still open. Interesting...

We had the dessert party booked for Monday. It was very windy, and while in line they said it may be cancelled. They sat us down about 9:15- gave us hot chocolate, plus a couple drinks of choice. Brought out our dessert plate.s At 10, started WOC, stopped about a minute later. A few minutes later they tried again, and stopped it. So it ended up being cancelled due to the winds- so ended with the food and drinks for free, as they said they would refund the package price. Of course disappointed that it was cancelled, but was nice to still get little something out of it.

We had the dessert party booked for Monday. It was very windy, and while in line they said it may be cancelled.

We were at the same party. Someone called yesterday to confirm the refund because I had used a gift card for payment. I just checked the card today (Friday) and the refund was back on there - so it takes them a few days. Free drinks and snacks at Disney - can't complain!

We didn't get to see WoC Season of Light or Believe in Holiday Magic because it was cancelled every night we were there this week. It looked like Fantasmic still happened though.

On a side note, maybe it's already been discussed here but when I was exploring my options I noticed that they are now offering a WoC dining package for dinner at Storytellers. At first I thought maybe it was to fill in when CC goes down for refurb in January but they're offering it now while CC is still open. Interesting...

That is interesting. Thanks for sharing. Has anyone had this package yet? I’m wondering how this affects the viewing area locations. Thanks in advance!

... I noticed that they are now offering a WoC dining package for dinner at Storytellers. At first I thought maybe it was to fill in when CC goes down for refurb in January but they're offering it now while CC is still open. Interesting...
That is interesting. Thanks for sharing. Has anyone had this package yet? I’m wondering how this affects the viewing area locations. Thanks in advance!
One plus for the Storytellers WOC package is that it comes with 5 hours of valet parking at the GCH. So for APs who don't have parking on their passes, this package would be a way to have a nice date night in DCA with dinner and a show with the parking included.

We attended the WOC Dessert Party last night, 12/21, and I thought it was an amazing experience! Both my teen girls and I loved it. My oldest said “I feel like a VIP!” I liked the seating placement (high top), view, generous plate of cheese, crackers and desserts, and our sweet waitress. I also appreciated being able to finally sit down and relax for at least an hour or so. It was worth every penny to me.

I scanned 10 or 15 pages and couldn't find a post on this, so I thought I'd just ask.

What are your thoughts on leaving the WOC waiting area once you've established a 'spot'? We'll have a group of 7, with 3 young kids and I wondered if it's acceptable to come and go a little bit for food or bathroom breaks. Is this difficult? Frowned upon? We're planning on lining up around 90 minutes before a single show night and that's a long time to stay in one place with kids. Thoughts?

I scanned 10 or 15 pages and couldn't find a post on this, so I thought I'd just ask.

What are your thoughts on leaving the WOC waiting area once you've established a 'spot'? We'll have a group of 7, with 3 young kids and I wondered if it's acceptable to come and go a little bit for food or bathroom breaks. Is this difficult? Frowned upon? We're planning on lining up around 90 minutes before a single show night and that's a long time to stay in one place with kids. Thoughts?
Holding WOC spots is, well... difficult. Once you are let into the area, you are allowed to establish a spot and sit on the ground. During that time, I suppose it would be possible to leave if there was a couple of adults to hold your spot, although you'll be climbing over people to get in and out. About 15ish minutes before the show, there will be an announcement for everyone to stand. At that point, if you are not in your spot, someone else will fill it. There seems to be a rush forward, especially if you are at the rail. I've waited for WOC with littles before. It's not easy, but we make sure everyone goes potty first, and we bring snacks and card games into the area with us.

Taking kids, especially littles, to the restroom and to get snacks to bring back should be fine as long as one or two adults stay behind to hold your spots. Having jackets or something to mark the spots can help so that other guests know that the spaces are not up for grabs. Don't take a long time and don't take everyone at once. We usually take one or two kids at a time, depending on age and need. Older kids/teens can go on their own as long as they know they need to hurry back, i.e. no going on rides in the meantime. Use common sense and common courtesy and you should be fine. CMs will give you your FP back when you leave the vieiwing area and you should return it when you re-enter.

I've never seen WOC before; I'm thinking we will either do the dessert party or dining reservations, but I am REALLY torn on which one to choose.
Any advice?

Dessert Party!!!!! Having a table to sit and relax, taking away the stress of knowing when to get somewhere and holding places was worth it to us.... especially after a long day. The treats are a plus. convenience factor tho!!!!

Dessert Party!!!!! Having a table to sit and relax, taking away the stress of knowing when to get somewhere and holding places was worth it to us.... especially after a long day. The treats are a plus. convenience factor tho!!!!
We are doing our first dessert party for WOC in August. I am so excited!

We haven't been DL since 2008, and won't be again for a while, so we really want to make the most of it. This does sound enticing... and you can see everything really well and all?

We haven't been DL since 2008, and won't be again for a while, so we really want to make the most of it. This does sound enticing... and you can see everything really well and all?
You are a little further backten dining package FP (look at the first page for the viewing zones) but you can sit and still have a very good view...!

If you do free FP or dining package you will have to arrive very early to be able to claim a spot at the railing but if you are able to get one of those your view will probably better... but if you don’t arrive early enough the view will be significantly worse (even 2nd row can be really bad...) and you‘ll have to stand for a long time... we did it twice with free FPs. First time we were able to get spot a a railing somewhere in the middle (so still people in front of us) and the second time we got row two behind the railing in a similar position and hated it because we had to stand soo long and couldn’t even lean on the railing... my mom won’t do free FP again.

I did the dessert party last thanksgiving time and loved it! Loved the view and loved the seats and loved the food and drinks... the view was actually way better than from our spots the previous trips...

I just looked for one of my pictures I made on my last trip...: so you can judge a little better...

You are a little further backten dining package FP (look at the first page for the viewing zones) but you can sit and still have a very good view...!

If you do free FP or dining package you will have to arrive very early to be able to claim a spot at the railing but if you are able to get one of those your view will probably better... but if you don’t arrive early enough the view will be significantly worse (even 2nd row can be really bad...) and you‘ll have to stand for a long time... we did it twice with free FPs. First time we were able to get spot a a railing somewhere in the middle (so still people in front of us) and the second time we got row two behind the railing in a similar position and hated it because we had to stand soo long and couldn’t even lean on the railing... my mom won’t do free FP again.

I did the dessert party last thanksgiving time and loved it! Loved the view and loved the seats and loved the food and drinks... the view was actually way better than from our spots the previous trips...

I just looked for one of my pictures I made on my last trip...: so you can judge a little better...

View attachment 463760

This is so helpful! Thank you so much!
DH is really tall (6'7") so he is worried about standing and blocking a kid's view. I'm rather short (5'2") so worried about not being able to see.

Looks like the dessert party will be the best bet then. Thanks so much!

Dessert Party update for those with allergies: We just did the Dessert Party at the beginning of the year. As usual, I noted my allergies under "Special Requests" when making our reservation. Someone from the Central Bakery emailed me to ask about my needs and requests. I asked for one regular dessert plate for DH and a fruit and cheese plate for me. (I have multiple allergies and sensitivities, so this is the easiest way to deal with everything.) When we checked in, we were given different colored bracelets from everyone else to note the allergy. I told our server about my request and the special plate that should have my name on it. She found it without any problem. And, as a bonus, there was an extra dessert plate for me just in case I wanted it. So DH got 2 plates and I got all fruit and cheese (generous servings). Great table, great view, very fun night!

My family (all adults) will be enjoying the dessert party for the first time in March. I understand that there are upper and lower tables, yes? Is one a better view than the other? What is the going advice on this? Thanks!

My family (all adults) will be enjoying the dessert party for the first time in March. I understand that there are upper and lower tables, yes? Is one a better view than the other? What is the going advice on this? Thanks!
It's not really "upper and lower" tables, but high (like bar tables) and low (like regular tables). The high tables have tall directors chairs and the low tables have regular folding chairs. Many people prefer the high tables, but the low tables have good views, too. It really depends on your comfort with the specific chairs. Some people have back problems, vertigo, issues getting in and out of the tall chairs, etc. and so prefer the regular chairs and low tables. Other people really like the tall tables and chairs. For example, we usually request the high tables and haven't had any problems so far. But last time we took my parents, it was clear that they were having to struggle a bit to get in and out of the tall chairs. Next time we take them, we'll request a low table for their comfort. Whichever table you choose, it's all up to you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter