World of Disney, NYC closing?

annmorr

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have any info on the closing of WOD store in New York City? Is it closing Jan 1 as suggesting in another forum? And is it being replaced by a new store in a new location at the same time? I can't imagine a trip to NY without at least a little time (and a lot of money) spent there!

Does anyone have any info on the closing of WOD store in New York City? Is it closing Jan 1 as suggesting in another forum? And is it being replaced by a new store in a new location at the same time? I can't imagine a trip to NY without at least a little time (and a lot of money) spent there!

Yes it will be closed by Year's End, and yes it will be replaced by a store in Times Square. Disney's lease was up and it was in some of the most expensive real estate in NYC City. They are saving over $500,000 a month in rent moving 5 blocks to Times Square.

Happy Shopping!

That's good news. Times Square is closer to my office than the 5th Avenue location.

That's good news. Times Square is closer to my office than the 5th Avenue location.

I was thinking the same think, I travel to NYC a lot for work and depending where in Time Square it will be close for me too. I'll actually be there in a few weeks, wonder what sales/discounts they'll be running in anticipation of closing and reducing inventory requiring a move.

thanks for all the info; now how can we find out the date of the Times Square store opening?

Everything I've read indicates that the Times Square location will not be a WOD but more of an off the shelf Disney Store. Has this changed?

Everything I've read indicates that the Times Square location will not be a WOD but more of an off the shelf Disney Store. Has this changed?

This most likely is true. What made NYC WOD unique in the sea of Disney stores until recently is that it was the only Disney store actually owned by Disney outside of Disney World. All of the other stores were owned by Children's Place. Disney kept the NYC WOD in their holding though, thus why it was special and different from the rest of the stores. Now that Disney owns all the stores again, you'll probably see a positive change (as you are with the remodels) in stores outside of NYC and the NYC store will be remade into probably just a larger version of the other stores (not that its a bad thing).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter