World of Disney, NYC

annmorr

Mouseketeer
Hi,

Has anyone been to the World of Disney Store in New York recently? I'm headed there tomorrow, and wondering what I should expect in the way of merchandise. I know that the store is scheduled to close in January, but I'm hoping to have a good last shopping visit there before they are gone for good. Thanks for any info....

It's a lot like the World of Disney in Disney World. It's a total of 3 floors, the first floor is holiday/theme, kitchen, pins and kids clothes. Second floor is toys, games, some more clothes, movies, etc. Third floor is Art of Disney with the kiosks and some art you can buy.

I was there a few weeks ago, and there were no discounts going on yet for the closing of the store and they were very well stocked in general.

We were there just the other day and all of the NYC stuff is 40% off

I was there yesterday, and all of the merchandise that is marked at 40% off is actually priced at 60% off when you get it to the register.

But the store itself is actually low on selection and merchandise compared to my prior shopping trips there. It was a kind of a disappintment to me, and I hope that the new store opens up quickly.... does anyone have any more info on time or location or if it has been put on hold?

Interested to check this out, especially the discounts, as we will be there next week!

We were there yesterday and all of the NYC merchandise is 60% off. There was not as much NYC merchandise as there used to be but everything else except the pins was very well stocked. You'd never know the store was closing. We were told the store would be closing on Dec. 31. There was a line to get into the place which we've never experienced before. We visit the store often and found it was not worth going.

We were there yesterday and all of the NYC merchandise is 60% off. There was not as much NYC merchandise as there used to be but everything else except the pins was very well stocked. You'd never know the store was closing. We were told the store would be closing on Dec. 31. There was a line to get into the place which we've never experienced before. We visit the store often and found it was not worth going.

Still 60% off, still a crazy line.

We used to go to pin trade and greet with characters...sadly they've stopped that. The magic is going out on 5th st

When I was there earlier this month, I was told the same - that the store would be closing on Dec. 31. They said that the rent on the building went up and "they" (who ever "they" may be) decided that they didn't want to pay the increased rate and would vacate.

I got 2 t-shirts for something like $10 (they were 60% off when I was there). Not ALL the stuff is 60% off though. I think the "Disney NYC" stuff were all on sale though.

WOD on 5th Ave was always a must stop for me whenever I'm in Manhattan...I miss Virgin Records too!

We were there yesterday and got 75% off everything! Unfortunately, the shelves are pretty bare. It's strange because there are no "official" signs in the store about it closing. I do hope they open another store soon!

I'm sad that store is closing, I hope they reopen another one. They stopped shipping outside of the area awhile ago. :sad1:

Is there anyone who is nearby who could try to find me a Disney Bear from the store? One of the NYC bears? I could pay you through PayPal. You can message me, or post here please. I so would appreciate it!!!!

Thank you!
Nikki

I was thinking of taking a ride in tomorrow. I live about 45 minutes out on Long Island from the city... is it worth the trip in???
Thank you in advance :goodvibes

I haven't been there myself, but I can tell you I'm sure it would be worth the trip! They are closing this store officially on Dec. 31st and I would definitely check it out myself if I could! I sent you an email too! :)

I was last there in oct. I live on long island also.

I don't think its worth it now. This store used to have all sorts of cool one of a kind things. Things you could only find at the parks. Since disney has been cutting down on the overal merchandise at the parks and at its world of disney stores its become more generic stuff.

I do not think its worth going there even with the discounted stuff. I do miss the character pictures though.

I really hope they open that store in times square.

PS most of the stuff can be found online now.

Store officially closed today..... :( i live close to NYC and decided to take a trip down there and when i got to the entrance they had the sign that said it was closed already.... such a sad moment....

I've only been there twice, but will miss it.
I was planning on bringing my kids there. It added a little fun to the NYC experience. Bummer.

They said that the rent on the building went up and "they" (who ever "they" may be) decided that they didn't want to pay the increased rate and would vacate.

This happens more often in NYC than you might think, which is why you see so much vacancy in retail spaces. Blame it on greedy landlords who bet that there is another retail tenant who'll be willing to pay the rent they want to charge to have a prestigious 5th Avenue address.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter