WorldMark Anaheim Timeshare Vs DVC Grand California Hotel

strine56

Mouseketeer
We all know that the DVC Grand California hotel is in a better location than the WorldMark Anaheim timeshare. How about comparing the amenities of those resorts? The DIS Unplugged should do that in their next DVC show. I will be staying at the WorldMark Anaheim timeshare starting this Monday.

I didn't even know Worldmark was still around. Hadn't heard of them in years. The amenities are pretty obvious to true Disney Vacation Club fans. One is Disney, one is not. Location, location, location. :D

Last edited:
I didn't even know Worldmark was still around. Hadn't heard of them in years. The amenities are pretty obvious to true Disney Vacation Club fans. One is Disney, one is not. Location, location, location. :D

Yes! The amenities at DVC are fantastic! I have several times used RCI along with WorldMark to exchange in to DVC and saved over 80 percent. Does Dis Unplugged still do reviews of non DVC resorts surrounding Disneyland? Here is a video of the WorldMark Anaheim resort.

I can't imagine there are any benefits at WorldMark Anaheim that are better than being able to directly enter CA from your hotel and being able to utilize EMH.

Location, location & once again location!! :D PLUS ...... EXTRA MAGIC MORNING !!! :teacher: These are the only reasons that DVC may be better than another timeshare place within the area !!! :magnify: Although Worldmark looks lovely.... it cannot compare to being in the Disney bubble!!! :cloud9: Of course if one assumes you have a choice to make. :rolleyes:

We all know that the DVC Grand California hotel is in a better location than the WorldMark Anaheim timeshare. How about comparing the amenities of those resorts? The DIS Unplugged should do that in their next DVC show. I will be staying at the WorldMark Anaheim timeshare starting this Monday.
FWIW, I own both DVC and Worldmark. I've stayed at the Grand Cal, WM Anaheim and WM Dolphin's Cove. Here are a few of my observations with the "winning" resort name bolded for each category based on my personal opinion.

• Grand Cal: On Disneyland Resort (DLR) property. Special park entrance directly links the Grand Cal to the California Adventure Theme Park and is restricted to "guest only" access during some hours. Location is eligible for Extra Magic Hours (early open) at the Parks and all other "on property" guest perks. Directly connected to the Disney Marketplace district for dining, shopping and entertainment options.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Anaheim: A reasonable walk (~1 mile) from DLR along Katella; on the Anaheim Resort Transportation route. Near the Garden Walk mall for dining, shopping and entertainment options.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Dolphin's Cove: A reasonable walk (~1 mile) from DLR along Harbor; near a bus stop for the Anaheim Resort Transportation (less than 1 block walk). Next to a Denny's restaurant but otherwise in a residential area. Of the three, I think this property offers the easiest walk to the Anaheim Convention Center (for the big D23 Expo).
PARKING:
  • Grand Cal, for DVC members: Free self parking across the street from the resort. Gated driveways but the general parking lot can be easily accessed by pedestrians.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Anaheim: Enclosed parking structure with floor-to-ceiling gate and limited pedestrian access except through hotel lobby (?). Major drawback: Limited spots available for tall vehicles (lowest level only) with 7' (?) limit starting on the ramp to the 2nd story. (Neither of our trucks fit except for the lowest level and we are often forced out on the street. Ugh.)
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Dolphin's Cove: Best parking of the three, in my opinion. Gated entry. Covered parking throughout complex below each building with sufficient clearance for most passenger vehicles. Your vehicle will likely be close to your unit.
TOT:
  • Grand Cal, for DVC members staying on Points: None
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Anaheim for members staying on Points/Cash rates: TOT fees are collected at time of booking. Boo! (No winner in this category but one strong loser!!)
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Dolphin's Cove for members staying on Points/Cash rates: None.
CONSTRUCTION PURPOSE:
  • Grand Cal: The DVC timeshare units were added to an existing hotel.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Anaheim: Purpose built timeshare. Originally 100% Worldmark and later split between Worldmark and Wyndham.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Dolphin's Cove: Originally a residential apartment complex, covered to timeshare. Held by a mix of ownership types: weeks, points, multiple clubs.
AVAILABILITY:
  • Grand Cal, for DVC members: Extremely Limited! Members are often locked out of booking this property.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Anaheim: Generous. Members have a very fair chance of booking this property if they choose.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Dolphin's Cove: Middle ground ... neither wide open nor extremely limited. Members have a fair chance to book this property if they choose.
UNIT TYPES:
  • Grand Cal, for DVC members: Studio (sleeps 4?), 1BR (sleeps 4?), 2BR (sleeps 8?), 3BR (sleeps 12) and, possibly, Hotel units for grandfathered owners.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Anaheim: Studio (sleeps 2), 1BR (sleeps 4), 2BR (sleeps 6), 3BR (sleeps 8?) and Presidential units (2BR, 3BR and 4BR). In my opinion, this resort "wins" the argument of "Unit Type" with the widest variety of unit types. Also, I consider the Studio unit at this property to be highly desirable and well appointed. It is a large L-shaped unit with Queen Murphy bed, in-room laundry and nearly complete kitchen (everything except an oven).
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Dolphin's Cove: 1BR (sleeps 4), 2BR (sleeps 6), 3BR (sleeps 8). Some units may require stairs to access.
UNIT DECOR/QUALITY:
  • Grand Cal: Drop dead gorgeous Craftsman-style. Wood, Tile, fabrics are all top notch.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Anaheim: Modern-style; mid-level quality.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Dolphin's Cove: Comfortable family-style; Reaching Mid-Level quality through ongoing renovations. Air-conditioning remains "iffy."
UNIT VIEWS:
  • Grand Cal, DVC units: Theme Park view (limited number, upper floors best); Pool view; Woods View.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Anaheim: Pool view (facing towards the center of the resort complex; possibly offering DLR fireworks view from upper floors); Street view (facing outward; may offer Anaheim Stadium fireworks view from upper floors).
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Dolphin's Cove: Courtyard view (facing towards the center of the complex); or no-particular-view.
LAUNDRY:
  • Grand Cal: In-room laundry for 1BR, 2BR and 3BR units. Shared laundry available on property for Studio units.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Anaheim: Every unit has an in-room laundry.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Dolphin's Cove: Only a shared laundry with limited units. (A clear loser for this category, I'm afraid.)
BBQ:
  • Grand Cal: Shared gas BBQs.
  • Wyndham/Wordmark Anaheim: Shared gas BBQs.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Dolphin's Cove: Shared BBQs. Gas??
POOLS and HOT TUBS:
  • Grand Cal: 3 pools (I think?) including feature pool w/ slide. 3 (?) hot tubs. Cabanas available for rent. Pool area shared with hotel guests.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Anaheim: 2 pools (I think?). 4 hot tubs, two of which are rooftop and may be limited to adult use in certain hours.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Dolphin's Cove: 2 pools, 1 hot tub (I think?)
FIREWORKS VIEWING:
  • Grand Cal: Limited fireworks viewing from the specific DVC portions of the property?
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Anaheim: Rooftop viewing deck!
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Dolphin's Cove: Bah. The new Homewood Suites (replacing the former Strawberry Fields) obstructs most fireworks viewing.
FITNESS CENTER:
  • Grand Cal: Well equipped Fitness Center.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Anaheim: Well equipped Fitness Center.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Dolphin's Cove: (The resort page claims a Fitness Center but I've never visited it .. sorry)
ONSITE DINING:
  • Grand Cal: Multiple dining venues within the resort.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Anaheim: Good selection of dining "nearby."
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Dolphin's Cove: Limited selection of dining "nearby" but just walk a little farther for better options near the Anaheim Convention Center.
CHECK-IN PROCESS / Timeshare Tour:
  • Grand Cal: Check-in on arrival in the grand lobby. No push for sales tour.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Anaheim: Check-in on arrival in the lobby. Second check-in required to get your parking pass from the desk run by the Sales Team. HARD SELL to attend a timeshare presentation during your stay. Ugh. Clear loser in this category!
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Dolphin's Cove: Check-in on arrival in the lobby includes the parking pass. You are invited to visit the desk run by the Sales Team but have no requirement to stop at that desk. Phew.

Yawn. I'm sleepy and quitting for now. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Adding to above:

LUGGAGE CARTS (aka: How to get your stuff from your car to your unit)
  • Grand Cal: Lug it yourself or employ a bellman with his cart. You'll have to either unload at the arrival driveway (under a time pressure) or haul them across the street from the self-parking lot. (For the DIY'er, I see the bellman approach as a negative. Wish DVC would let us use the carts ourselves especially given the long haul from the self parking lot across the street!)
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Anaheim: Luggage Carts are stationed in the parking garage and near elevator lobbies for Guest Use!
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Dolphin's Cove: I don't recall seeing luggage carts ... but your car is likely parked near (below) your unit.
BUSINESS CENTER (shared computers/printers):
  • Grand Cal: ??
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Anaheim: Dedicated "Business Center" space with shared computers, internet access and a printer.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Dolphin's Cove: ??
IN ROOM WIFI:
  • Grand Cal: Free wifi for guests. My experience has been "patchy at best" depending on the room location.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Anaheim: Fee-based Wifi for non-TravelShare WM members, I think?? Restrictions on number of simultaneous devices.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Dolphin's Cove: Free wifi for all guests. My experience has had good signal throughout the property.
GAME ROOM / Community Center:
  • Grand Cal: I think there is an arcade near the Fitness Center?
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Anaheim: Large game room with table tennis, pool tables and arcade games. I think you can also check out board games to play in your room?
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Dolphin's Cove: Game room by the pool ... but I don't recall what is offered.
TV Programming / Movies:
  • Grand Cal: Lots of Disney Content on the TV system as well as broadcast channels! DVD library offered to DVC members at no charge. (Is this still done??)
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Anaheim: Good broadcast TV system (wide number of channels). Can "rent" DVDs from the front desk/gift shop. Some owners may receive credits for free DVD rentals.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Dolphin's Cove: Good broadcast TV system (wide number of channels). Can "rent" DVDs from the front desk/sales desk. No "free" rentals for WM owners.
POINTS Structure w/in the respective Club:
  • Grand Cal: A bit pricey compared to other DVC properties of its time. However, given how few units ... the higher points structure might help balance (depress) demand?
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Anaheim: A bit pricey compared to other WM properties of its time.
  • Wyndham/Worldmark Dolphin's Cove: In keeping with other WM properties of its time.

@strine56 ... anything to add/correct?

Last edited:
I can't imagine there are any benefits at WorldMark Anaheim that are better than being able to directly enter CA from your hotel and being able to utilize EMH.
I think "availability" is the only advantage I'd really give to the Wyndham/Worldmark product in this comparison. I don't know the total room count, but the following numbers come from the 2018 Vacant Night Report for Worldmark Units only (does not include Wyndham Units at same properties):
  • Worldmark Anaheim: 2051 vacant nights in 2018!
  • Worldmark Dolphin's Cove: 355 vacant nights in 2018
So, between two properties, both w/in walking distance of DLR, there were 2,406 nights that sat empty in 2018. Plenty of availability for owners!

FIREWORKS VIEWING:
  • Grand Cal: Limited fireworks viewing from the specific DVC portions of the property?
There is a 6th floor DVC observation deck on the DCA side kinda facing World of Color.
(It’s off center so it’s not a great view, and you need to be early enough to keep a spot on the railing)

FWIW, "availability" won again for me! We are going to Disneyland's SG:GE during its opening weeks. Got my SW:GE reservation this morning! I was on a waitlist for the Grand Cal ... lol, but that didn't stand a chance!

So DL SW:GE, here we come! And we'll be staying at the nearby WM Anaheim. Yeah.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!