worried about the rain - I know - but please help

PamNC

DIS Veteran
I know Florida has t-storms almost every day and it's not a wash-out. But I'd like to check on the forecast that's been happening? Is it raining down there all day long and all night? I'm coming Friday - Monday and I can change it up if needed. What's the real deal - are these just the typical storms or is it literally raining day and and night nowadays?

I am bummed as well! It is showing 80% chance of rain/thunderstorms EVERY SINGLE DAY we are there!! I'm hoping that will keep the temp cooler and the crowds down but definitely praying it doesn't just rain all day.

I am bummed as well! It is showing 80% chance of rain/thunderstorms EVERY SINGLE DAY we are there!! I'm hoping that will keep the temp cooler and the crowds down but definitely praying it doesn't just rain all day.
praying hard with ya

I arrive Sunday. After a previous trip that fell during tropical storm Andrea, I'm worried.

I have been looking at several weather sites and they all say different things for this coming weekend. We are arriving Friday and going through Monday. Hoping for the best.

I’m here and yes, it’s been raining quite a bit, but off and on. Ponchos or raincoats are a must.

On the plus side, the rain clouds are keeping the temperatures cool and the crowds down. Everything at Magic Kingdom was a walk-on last night. We got in more rides inside a few hours than entire days on other trips.

And one tip I learned the hard way last night—never sit in the last row of a log on Splash Mountain.

I’m here and yes, it’s been raining quite a bit, but off and on. Ponchos or raincoats are a must.

On the plus side, the rain clouds are keeping the temperatures cool and the crowds down. Everything at Magic Kingdom was a walk-on last night. We got in more rides inside a few hours than entire days on other trips.

And one tip I learned the hard way last night—never sit in the last row of a log on Splash Mountain.
LOL on splash mountain - you're right about that. Question/clarification - what do mean "off and on" - if you had to guess a percentage or rain time vs non rain time - could you make a guess. You're right, it does keep the crowds down I'm sure.

We just came home last night from a rainy week all last week in Disney. When we saw the forecast the week before we were in the same boat worrying about it, but it was fine.

Bring good ponchos (not the clear, thin ones from the dollar store), extra shoes (if you wear sneakers) and just be prepared to go with the flow. If you don’t have a good weather app on your phone, get one now to keep an eye on things. Disney will usually run the outside rides in the rain but will definitely close them if there is lightning in the area. So prepare to get on the outside rides quickly if you know a storm is coming in. We had a FP for 7DMT and made sure to tap in five minutes before our FP opened because we knew a storm was headed our way. Sure enough while we were in line waiting they kept making the announcement that they may have to close the ride suddenly. Thankfully we rode with no issues but this is an example of just preparing a little bit ahead if you can.

Honestly, the most important thing we learned is the forecast changes quickly, sometimes hour by hour, and it won’t be as bad it looks. In spite of the rain, we had a lot of breaks was full sun and got to spend time at the pool on a few days.

We usually go to WDW this time of year and it was the first time we had these cooler temps and so much rain for a whole week. We still had a great time! You will too!

We just came home last night from a rainy week all last week in Disney. When we saw the forecast the week before we were in the same boat worrying about it, but it was fine.

Bring good ponchos (not the clear, thin ones from the dollar store), extra shoes (if you wear sneakers) and just be prepared to go with the flow. If you don’t have a good weather app on your phone, get one now to keep an eye on things. Disney will usually run the outside rides in the rain but will definitely close them if there is lightning in the area. So prepare to get on the outside rides quickly if you know a storm is coming in. We had a FP for 7DMT and made sure to tap in five minutes before our FP opened because we knew a storm was headed our way. Sure enough while we were in line waiting they kept making the announcement that they may have to close the ride suddenly. Thankfully we rode with no issues but this is an example of just preparing a little bit ahead if you can.

Honestly, the most important thing we learned is the forecast changes quickly, sometimes hour by hour, and it won’t be as bad it looks. In spite of the rain, we had a lot of breaks was full sun and got to spend time at the pool on a few days.

We usually go to WDW this time of year and it was the first time we had these cooler temps and so much rain for a whole week. We still had a great time! You will too!
thank you so much - I totally expect the thunderstorms and as long as it is on and off, I'll be fine. The cooler temps and smaller crowds would be worth it.

There is a whole similar thread on the TP forum and one person made the good point of not wearing sneakers because they will just get soaked, but instead wearing crocs or shoes you would wear to a water park- good point so you aren't in wet socks and squishy sneakers all day.

Live here. This isn't your typical afternoon T-storm cycle. There's a slow moving weather system bringing widespread rain to the peninsula. I personally wouldn't let it stop me from touring (spent all day last Mon enjoying Epcot, completely drenched, lol), but YMMV.

Live here. This isn't your typical afternoon T-storm cycle. There's a slow moving weather system bringing widespread rain to the peninsula. I personally wouldn't let it stop me from touring (spent all day last Mon enjoying Epcot, completely drenched, lol), but YMMV.
Any idea when it is expected to pass? Thanks.

These aren't the typical afternoon thunderstorms of the summer. It's been raining so bad lately that there has been a lot of flooding around where I live. If it looks like it will rain the entire day your best bet is wear a poncho and just brave the weather. A lot of people will leave due to weather so lines won't be too bad and it keeps the weather cool. I wouldn't recommend waiting for the rain to clear to do anything. Wear light clothes that dry quickly, no jeans. I'd bring flip flops and if it looks like it will pour wear those instead of sneakers which will absorb the water and be rough on your feet. The ground can get slippery though so be careful while walking.

Which weather agency is everyone using? I’ve been following Accuweather and their forecast doesn’t look too bad. I’m in on Wed thru June 2nd and it looks like 1 day with a 60% chance of rain and the rest have 30-40%. I know this can change hour to hour.

I will say that 2 years ago our forecast said 90% chance of rain everyday of our trip and all we ended up having was a 1 hour downpour one day and a sprinkle another.

It's worth watching but it's too far to know what the weekend will bring, no matter where you live. Not just in FL.
Surely your weather forecasts for the weekend at home will change between today and by the time Saturday actually gets here, won't it?
I know for sure ours does.
Our weatherman/woman tells us that every single Monday, when they give the long range forecast for the next weekend.
That this will change as the week progresses that you can not make plans based on the weekend's forecast today. Right now we are due for rain over the weekend but who knows.
I often wonder why they bother to make a forecast that far out.
I have noticed that they've quit doing a 7 day forecast and gone back to only 5 day forecasts here.

Anyway, we fly down to Orlando on Saturday and I'll check the weather on Wednesday to know better what's going on. Until then, it's pretty pointless. For no reason other than it will change.

Bring good ponchos (not the clear, thin ones from the dollar store)

If you already have those, great. But I packed a bunch of the dollar-store ponchos for my family (we were there all last week), and I do have to say they worked very well. Kept our clothes nice and dry. They are packaged so nice and small that we were able to carry a couple with us each day in our pockets, one to use and the other for backup. I felt that, with the high temps, that the thicker, heavier ponchos would have been too hot for us.

We can't stomach those dollar store ponchos either.
We quit using them and only use the Disney version or our Marmont Rain coats.
Though we really prefer our umbrellas.
So much easier since you have to take off wet ponchos/rain coats to get on indoor rides. We find it easier to just take down umbrellas and put them in a plastic Disney shopping bag we keep in a pocket.
We have some triple folding umbrellas that fit in DH's pocket so they are so are easy to carry.

It's worth watching but it's too far to know what the weekend will bring, no matter where you live. Not just in FL.
Surely your weather forecasts for the weekend at home will change between today and by the time Saturday actually gets here, won't it?
I know for sure ours does.
Our weatherman/woman tells us that every single Monday, when they give the long range forecast for the next weekend.
That this will change as the week progresses that you can not make plans based on the weekend's forecast today. Right now we are due for rain over the weekend but who knows.
I often wonder why they bother to make a forecast that far out.
I have noticed that they've quit doing a 7 day forecast and gone back to only 5 day forecasts here.

Anyway, we fly down to Orlando on Saturday and I'll check the weather on Wednesday to know better what's going on. Until then, it's pretty pointless. For no reason other than it will change.
let's keep in touch - I'm tracking it as well and hoping it changes for the better. Good news for me is I'm staying with a friend so I can change it. Thank goodness. I just had my hopes up big time. UGH

Which weather agency is everyone using? I’ve been following Accuweather and their forecast doesn’t look too bad. I’m in on Wed thru June 2nd and it looks like 1 day with a 60% chance of rain and the rest have 30-40%. I know this can change hour to hour.

I will say that 2 years ago our forecast said 90% chance of rain everyday of our trip and all we ended up having was a 1 hour downpour one day and a sprinkle another.
Hmmmm. I was checking weather.com and you're right - I checked accuweather and their forecast doesn't look that bad. I'm just going to see how it goes and keep checking. Let's pray that "thing" doesn't develop in the gulf and tracks on to the west not the east. UGH - the southeast has gotten enough rain. I live in NC and it has rained every day here for about 9 days now - off and on some days, a couple days pretty much all day long. I can handle off and on at Disney, but not all day monsoon weather. UGH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter