worried about the rain - I know - but please help

Just got back from WDW. I too was stressed, bummed, anxious, etc when I saw the weather forecasts for last week. I was used to pop up quick storms but was worried about this storm system bringing all day rain. I came armed with small umbrellas, ponchos from Target, proper footwear, and hoped for the best. It was NOT as bad as feared. We had plenty of days that the sun was fully out, Times when a sprinkle passed, and some times of downpours. We survived lol. I used the accuweather app and checked it multiple times each day because it might say rain is starting in 20min but the clouds move and it’ll change to 90min and so on. Only once were we caught in a downpour as we got off of Frozen so we hung out in the gift shop (on the floor in a corner) and another night the rain changed our plans to go walk around Disney Springs. The most annoying part was soaked feet. Even in my Teva flip flops it got old fast. We used umbrellas every time, the ponchos were used also if the rain would be falling for a while. Our day at DHS, it rained for a while. We used that time to eat at backlot Express, went on star tours, and watched Indiana Jones. We even got to see Fantasmic that night.

Check accuweather the night before and again when you wake up. A lot of times the rain would start in the afternoon. Get to the parks early, get your sun-time in, get all your sunny pictures done, ride the outside rides, etc. just in case it rains or is overcast later.
Thank you so much for this report - very helpful!! If that silly storm takes a turn I think we'll be good. I'm very used to the pop up storms and even like those because it cools things off and I've seen some pretty rainbows.

I just came back from Florida. Luckily their rain is on and off. Many days when it started off rainy and gloomy...then the sun came out for the rest of the day. Just keep checking the weather forecast!

We were nervous but also had a great week last week despite the rain. We had good chunks of time without rain and still found pool time. We really enjoyed the clouds. It was really hot when the sun was out.I fear we will be shocked if we go back again because the crowds were probably quite low.

I didn’t love getting completely soaked but this only happened a few times all week and twice we were on the way out.

ABC national news just said there could be 3-5 inches of rain in parts of Florida over Memorial Day Weekend.

Looks like the storm is increasing in chances to become tropical depression. UGH. Still seeing different weather models. What do ya'll think? Especially locals who are used ot this.

Looks like the storm is increasing in chances to become tropical depression. UGH. Still seeing different weather models. What do ya'll think? Especially locals who are used ot this.
(Not local but following too)
The forecast model I saw this morning for central FL called for a 5 day total of rain of around 3" of rain, total.
That's a total, accumulation. Not in one day.
I don't consider that a rain out by any means.
Others may.

See here, showing the 5 day rain totals, current projections (though they are still calling it very fluid and very subject to change)
I wouldn't want to have a beach vacation in the panhandle or the gulf shores areas in the plans right now.
33243500_10156171528382367_5839641151451168768_o.jpg

there's is some bad weather approaching, nothing you can do expect bring ponchos unless you cancel but like it or not, it does not look good.......

this is not normal for this time of year, it's the rainy season but the tropical depressions are not typical....keep yourself updated with the weather channel and don't rely on locals to predict the weather. It is going to rain, it's going to rain a lot and it's been raining a lot with flooding in the the parks at time.....research and prepare or just cancel..... we survived Irma last year, we prepared and followed the weather app faithfully.

this is not normal for this time of year, it's the rainy season but the tropical depressions are not typical....keep yourself updated with the weather channel and don't rely on locals to predict the weather. It is going to rain, it's going to rain a lot and it's been raining a lot with flooding in the the parks at time.....research and prepare or just cancel..... we survived Irma last year, we prepared and followed the weather app faithfully.
Thanks. Great advice. I'm going to most likely cancel. Luckily I can do that - buddy pass for flight and staying with a friend. I hate it for those who can't cancel.

Thanks. Great advice. I'm going to most likely cancel. Luckily I can do that - buddy pass for flight and staying with a friend. I hate it for those who can't cancel.
you ARE very fortunate, absolutely would not intentionally go this week or weekend unless pre scheduled non refundable....

I like following this site is best. (started back when Matthew hit)
If you are on Facebook, follow him there too. He'll give very detailed reports often
His data is historically been more accurate than anyone's.
Which is probably as easy as nailing jello to a wall
He vastly disagrees with the above at this time, for whatever it's worth
Though it will change 20+ times between now and Friday
http://www.spaghettimodels.com/

Last edited:
This can be a fun page to play with, if you are a weather geek (along with the above site, though it can be overwhelming too)
You can click on each Day to find the cumulative rain totals over the course of the next 7 days.
It will continue to update as they update the forecast
http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/qpf2.shtml

Last edited:
I like following this site is best. (started back when Matthew hit)
If you are on Facebook, follow him there too. He'll give very detailed reports often
His data is historically been more accurate than anyone's.
Which is probably as easy as nailing jello to a wall
He vastly disagrees with the above at this time, for whatever it's worth
Though it will change 20+ times between now and Friday
http://www.spaghettimodels.com/
interesting - I like his site and his page !! thanks.

I fly in Friday AM.... Mike's page is amazing! Hoping he's right and that Disney/Central Florida doesn't see as much rain as predicted! Fingers and toes crossed!

I fly in Friday AM.... Mike's page is amazing! Hoping he's right and that Disney/Central Florida doesn't see as much rain as predicted! Fingers and toes crossed!
The latest update still looking positive for Orlando. Very bad for any Gulf beach vacations. Nor particularly good for Miami area vacations

Last edited:
The latest update still looking positive for Orlando. Very bad for any Gulf beach vacations. Nor particularly good for Miami area vacations
You really think it's possible Orlando might not be a wash-out?

You really think it's possible Orlando might not be a wash-out?
Me? I can only go by what's showing on the NOAA site.
They do not show a rain out at all.
Now, they by no means have a Magic 8 Ball
They are wrong as much as they are right.
Just like 100% of every other weather predictor out there.
Mother Nature is a fickle beast and refuses to do what folks predict most of the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter