Worried about using ECV through inaccessible queues

Redbudlover

DIS Veteran
I am worried about using my ECV through an inaccessible queues on my upcoming trip. On several past trips I just went to the cast member at FP entrance and asked for a time to return - like at BTM. At JC sometimes they let me come back at a return time, sometimes they had me wait with other ECV and wheelchair users. the last time was very different.

I went up to BTM and asked for a return time and they wanted my DAS card. Said I had to have one which I didn't have and have learned I most likely would not get as my issues are mobility. After a lot of talking and me being stubborn they finally gave me a return time but said it was a one hour window. Not what I had had before when I had all day to return?

Can anyone tell me what I am supposed to say to a CM now? How do I enter using standby rather than FP at BTM? How about at Splash? JC? HM? I am not trying to get out of a wait time just want to know what I should be asking for and what to expect. Thanks!!!

For BTMRR and jungle Cruise just let the CM know you need a wheelchair return time and this should do it. HM and splash you go in what every line and at the stairs for splash you will be directed to an alternative entrance and I am not sure where you are directly at HM. Space is another ride you will get a return time for if you do not have an FP A for ( IASW Aand over at EPCOT spaceship earth is another. So in all of Disney there are 5 rides). I think there is a one hour windo for the return times

Last edited:
For BTMRR and jungle Cruise just let the CM know you need a wheelchair return time and this should do it. HM and splash you go in what every line and at the stairs for splash you will be directed to an alternative entrance and I am not sure where you are directly at HM. Space is another ride you will get a return time for if you do not have an FP A for ( IASW Aand over at EPCOT spaceship earth is another. So in all of Disney there are 5 rides). I think there is a one hour windo for the return times

A question about IASW. My DH uses a wheelchair at disney. He had not been on ISAW for years cause his knees just don't bend enough for those boats. We have several young grandkids this trip (in fact all our grandkids will be there) and I would love to get him on that ride once with the grandkids. The party would be 12. Could we get a return time for the whole party? I know the boat that allows a wheelchair only holds so many, but don't know the number. Could 6 -8 (assuming that's what the boat would hold) be allowed to use a return ticket? Even if we all couldn't go, I'd really love to have him go with some of the young ones and an extra adult or two.

A question about IASW. My DH uses a wheelchair at disney. He had not been on ISAW for years cause his knees just don't bend enough for those boats. We have several young grandkids this trip (in fact all our grandkids will be there) and I would love to get him on that ride once with the grandkids. The party would be 12. Could we get a return time for the whole party? I know the boat that allows a wheelchair only holds so many, but don't know the number. Could 6 -8 (assuming that's what the boat would hold) be allowed to use a return ticket? Even if we all couldn't go, I'd really love to have him go with some of the young ones and an extra adult or two.
the boat that you can stay in your wheelchair on only holds 6 + the wheelchair user). people and you sit by your self on the boat ( I will try and find a picture of the boat so you can see it) so I think the CM will only let the wheelchair user and 6 people ride on the return time ( and some times they do not give them out they just direct you to the alternative entrance)

here is a great website I just fond from all ears that has a picture of ride vehicle go down to IASW and click on accessible boat

the boat that you can stay in your wheelchair on only holds 6 + the wheelchair user). people and you sit by your self on the boat ( I will try and find a picture of the boat so you can see it) so I think the CM will only let the wheelchair user and 6 people ride on the return time ( and some times they do not give them out they just direct you to the alternative entrance)

here is a great website I just fond from all ears that has a picture of ride vehicle go down to IASW and click on accessible boat

Thank you. Does the wheelchair user, sit way in the back or in between the 6 seats?
If he sits in the back, that sort of defeats the purpose of seeing the kids. Plus we have a 2, 3 and 4 year old. Having them sit in a seat by themselves probably won't work. At best , have the 4 year in row one, 14year in row two sitting sideways to keep track everyone , 2 year old row three. On other side have 3 year old, 10 year old, 7 year old. Sounds like this is one plan that is not going to happen. But thanks for the information.

Thank you. Does the wheelchair user, sit way in the back or in between the 6 seats?
If he sits in the back, that sort of defeats the purpose of seeing the kids. Plus we have a 2, 3 and 4 year old. Having them sit in a seat by themselves probably won't work. At best , have the 4 year in row one, 14year in row two sitting sideways to keep track everyone , 2 year old row three. On other side have 3 year old, 10 year old, 7 year old. Sounds like this is one plan that is not going to happen. But thanks for the information.
The wheelchair user site in the front I think between the first two sets and maybe a little behind. I can see a small child sitting on an older person lap but I would have at lest an adult or two go with the wheelchair user and sit in the second row where they can keep an eye on the children in front and behind them and some adults and kids just go in the standby ( or FP line and it is very easy to get FP for this ride ) and the people that did not go with the wheelchair user for this ride get to go on a different ride or you he can ride twice once with a different set of grandchildren maybe do a FP with the people that are tall enough to ride 7 DMT when group one goes and when group 2 is going group one ride the tea cup or Pooh

we have a 2, 3 and 4 year old. Having them sit in a seat by themselves probably won't work. At best , have the 4 year in row one, 14year in row two sitting sideways to keep track everyone , 2 year old row three. On other side have 3 year old, 10 year old, 7 year old. Sounds like this is one plan that is not going to happen.

Seats are 3 rows with 1 seat on each side of a center aisle; the wheelchair is in the center.

Keep in mind that WDW rules require someone age 14+ to sit in the row with a child younger than 7. I don't know how that works with the wheelchair user as the adult -- presumably the adult would be able to control the young ones (prevent reaching overboard, standing, etc.) so it may depend on his abilities.

Here's a picture SueM posted recently:

Enjoy your vacation!

Seats are 3 rows with 1 seat on each side of a center aisle; the wheelchair is in the center.

Keep in mind that WDW rules require someone age 14+ to sit in the row with a child younger than 7. I don't know how that works with the wheelchair user as the adult -- presumably the adult would be able to control the young ones (prevent reaching overboard, standing, etc.) so it may depend on his abilities.

Here's a picture SueM posted recently:
View attachment 426005

Enjoy your vacation!

Does having a pocket full of candy, count as a control method?

Yeah, I'm not hoping too much for this. Perhaps a CM can suggest what would be allowed. Or as PP suggested, doing two trips with different grandkids. Not going to make or break the trip. Just something I wish could happen for DH.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions and reminder of the rules.

Does having a pocket full of candy, count as a control method?

Yeah, I'm not hoping too much for this. Perhaps a CM can suggest what would be allowed. Or as PP suggested, doing two trips with different grandkids. Not going to make or break the trip. Just something I wish could happen for DH.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions and reminder of the rules.
I would ask the CM to n how best to
Ride I am sure they have had large group with one in a wheelchair ride before.

Can anyone tell me what I am supposed to say to a CM now? How do I enter using standby rather than FP ...
Ask for the wheelchair entrance as opposed to for a wheelchair time.
Or if you already know where that is, then go that way. A CM along the way may or may not tell you to come back at such and such a time later.
Then, having or not having DAS would not be applicable.

I was wondering how this works as well. My boyfriend will be using an ECV this trip as he has a badly sprained ankle, and I am wondering about the rides where you can't take an ECV into the queue also. He can walk some if need be, but Space Mountain for instance, has such a long walk from the entrance to the ride itself there is no way he is going to be able to walk that.

I was wondering how this works as well. My boyfriend will be using an ECV this trip as he has a badly sprained ankle, and I am wondering about the rides where you can't take an ECV into the queue also. He can walk some if need be, but Space Mountain for instance, has such a long walk from the entrance to the ride itself there is no way he is going to be able to walk that.
They have wheelchair for rides ECV can not go in

I recently was with a large group (12) that included a wheelchair. The castmembers sent us all immediately into the wheelchair line with no return time , although there were a couple of families ahead of us and the wait was about 15 minutes. They said we could put up to six, plus small kids on laps, in the wheelchair boat and put the rest of us in the last 2 rows in the boat ahead of the wheelchair boat. We had to have an adult in the third (back) row of the wheelchair boat to keep an eye on the kids.

In the past, wheelchair users and ECV users were kept out of the standby queues for some reason. This was when the GAC was available. Now, so many of the queues are accessible, and so many people use ECVs that Disney has had to come up with a different strategy. Return times are not needed for most of the rides at WDW. I believe Sue has created some excellent informational posts at the top of this forum that would help.

Long long time ago, many of the queueing areas had narrow passageways and sharp bends so wheelchairs couldn't go around with a good chance of hitting other persons..

Now the passageways are generally wider which, for better or worse, has the side effect of letting guests who can, queue up two or three abreast. In other words have a shorter wider queue as opposed to a longer narrower queue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter