Worth it to visit Yosemite while in San Fran?

kkmcan

Official Mouse Fan
I am hoping we will go to San Francisco in Oct for 4 nights. We have thought about visiting Yosemite as well since we are so close but I wonder if this will work. Here's what I'm thinking....

San Fran 4 nights
Rent a car and drive to Yosemite - stay for 2 nights
Drive back to San Fran, turn in car and fly home

I'm not too much of any outdoorsy girl so mainly we just want to see the gian sequoias, the huge waterfall that you can walk to and isn't there some kind of bus tour? I'd like to get a cheap hotel- no camping, thank you!

Is this doable? How long is the drive to Yosemite? Is it worth it to make the extra side trip there?

Thanks for any info!
Kelly

Yosemite is gorgeous! It's about 4 hours by car from SF. But be aware that the waterfalls will be either totally dry, or at a trickle in October. Late spring (May, June) is when they're really gushing.

Still, I think it's worth it, just to drive to the top of Glacier Point and look down and across at the amazing formations.

-Bob

I second the recommendation to go see Yosemite. I am not an outdoors person either, but I enjoy the beauty of our National Parks. The giant trees are phenomenal and even without the waterfalls, the granite formations are amazing to see. Check out my trip report regarding our bus tour and where we stayed.

If you have the time, then Yosemite is a great side trip from San Francisco. You can stay in the valley (highly recommended), or at one of the places near the entrance. I've stayed at Curry Village a few times, but when we go in autumn I like staying in a cabin where I can have my own kitchen/fireplace, etc., and recommend www.redwoodsinyosemite.com for that. Must-sees would be the valley, Glacier Point, and the Mariposa Grove. (my opinion :) )

Yosemite is beautiful and worth a visit if you have the time. You must visit the historic Ahwahnee Hotel, you may want to try to get a reservation for breakfast, lunch or dinner for an experience.

Or, if you want to stick closer to San Francisco, you can see Giant Sequoias at Muir Woods, about 40 minutes north over the Golden Gate Bridge. Take a trip out to Stinson Beach, or even spend a day in Sausalito. My kids enjoy Fort Point, under the Golden Gate Bridge, or a visit to the nearby Disney Family Museum.

Drive a little over 2 hours south of San Francisco, and go to Carmel, walk around the town, do the 17 mile drive, or visit Point Lobos State Reserve. I lived in the Bay area for 2 1/2 years, and visited often since then, but I never went to Point Lobos until my last trip. Nice hikes along the coast, saw the wildlife and wonderful views! My two teenagers even enjoyed this relaxing hike.

You can't go wrong with anything! So much to see and do. Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter