Worth the stay?

margot31

DIS Veteran
My husband is going down to Hawaii for work next month...short notice I know since we had to wait for the gov't. We will be staying over in Kbay for a few days when I get down there but a few nights we need some place else to stay. We thought about Aulani and wondering if its worth staying there just the 2 of us or staying some place else on the island.

Aulani is very very nice. I'm a dvc member so it's very worth it for me. If you can spare the cash go for it

My husband is going down to Hawaii for work next month...short notice I know since we had to wait for the gov't. We will be staying over in Kbay for a few days when I get down there but a few nights we need some place else to stay. We thought about Aulani and wondering if its worth staying there just the 2 of us or staying some place else on the island.
Depends on what you're plans are. Aulani is kind of secluded from the nightlife, and if that's your thing, you'd be better off staying down in waikiki. If you qualify for mil rates, you should look into Hale Koa on the beach at Waikiki. A fraction of the cost.

Depends on what you're plans are. Aulani is kind of secluded from the nightlife, and if that's your thing, you'd be better off staying down in waikiki. If you qualify for mil rates, you should look into Hale Koa on the beach at Waikiki. A fraction of the cost.

We don't need a major night life since I am pregnant and its not fun being the sober person in the bar. I have heard of the Hale Koa, we are staying at Kbay for several nights already so for us to spurg a bit is fine. We will be busy for several days of the trip exploring the island so having some good down time wouldn't be bad either.

We don't need a major night life since I am pregnant and its not fun being the sober person in the bar. I have heard of the Hale Koa, we are staying at Kbay for several nights already so for us to spurg a bit is fine. We will be busy for several days of the trip exploring the island so having some good down time wouldn't be bad either.
Ok, so personally, I get Aulani for families and stuff, but for me, it's not a relaxing sort of place . It's a pretty big and crowded resort. Everyone is different though, so it might be your thing. But if I were going to spend that sort of money, I'd go somewhere else. Like the Royal Hawaiian or something.

Ok, so personally, I get Aulani for families and stuff, but for me, it's not a relaxing sort of place . It's a pretty big and crowded resort. Everyone is different though, so it might be your thing. But if I were going to spend that sort of money, I'd go somewhere else. Like the Royal Hawaiian or something.

Isn't the Royal Hawaiian in Waikiki? I was doing some research today and I don't know if I really want to be in the major city. That is why I was also looking at other locations.

if you want quiet, you might check out the marriot ko olina. We stayed there last year. I liked it a lot. I'm not sure if it is all timeshare though.

Isn't the Royal Hawaiian in Waikiki? I was doing some research today and I don't know if I really want to be in the major city. That is why I was also looking at other locations.
it is. But the resort itself has a relaxing adult vibe to it. Half of Oahu is major city.

Marriott KoOlina is not all time share, but it is more expensive than Aulani. At least in May when I am going

Marriott is all time share. I have owned there for years, and been many times.

We were stationed at KBay for 3 years as well, and I had our son at Tripler.

I would recommend looking into the Marriott if you want to get away from Waikiki! It's relaxing and much much more spread out than Aulani is. You can book nightly rates through Marriott, as you can at any Marriott timeshare. I'd check and see if they have any government rates for your dates. I'd definitely choose it over the Marriott in Waikiki. We rarely find any issue with getting a chair by the pool at Ko Olina, and there is a nice quiet pool as well. I don't care for Longboard's though - we mostly cook in our eat out for a big lunch (if you like sushi, don't miss Sushi Bay in Kapolei by Safeway! It's so GOOD, and yes you will wait but it's worth it).

If you want to do Waikiki, be aware that the beach near the Royal Hawaiian has diminished over the past 15 years, and it's a bit narrow now. The widest stretch of beach is actually near the Hale Koa (or the Hilton). Personally, now I find Waikiki too busy and noisy for me (sad but true). But, there is a new Embassy Suites that looks nice there now.

I would recommend looking into the Marriott if you want to get away from Waikiki! It's relaxing and much much more spread out than Aulani is. You can book nightly rates through Marriott, as you can at any Marriott timeshare. I'd check and see if they have any government rates for your dates. I'd definitely choose it over the Marriott in Waikiki. We rarely find any issue with getting a chair by the pool at Ko Olina, and there is a nice quiet pool as well. I don't care for Longboard's though - we mostly cook in our eat out for a big lunch (if you like sushi, don't miss Sushi Bay in Kapolei by Safeway! It's so GOOD, and yes you will wait but it's worth it).

If you want to do Waikiki, be aware that the beach near the Royal Hawaiian has diminished over the past 15 years, and it's a bit narrow now. The widest stretch of beach is actually near the Hale Koa (or the Hilton). Personally, now I find Waikiki too busy and noisy for me (sad but true). But, there is a new Embassy Suites that looks nice there now.
Embassy suites is nice, but isn't beach front. From some rooms, and the roof top pool you can see the ocean, but to get to the beach, you have to cross the street and cut through the path between the Waikiki Shores and Fort Derussy park, area. However, you are dumped out right at Steak Shack. And that's just the most amazing beach food ever.

Thanks for the tip. We looked at the gov't rate for our dates and its much cheaper at Marriott so we switched. Thank You!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter