Worthwhile to rent/Ease of process

Superman1011

Earning My Ears
Thanks in advance for any insight! Closing in on my first purchase of a small loaded contract. As I do the math I realize 2019 use year isn’t the best for my wife and I to use all the points (too many family and friends weddings to go to and not enough PTO).

Can anyone share their experience of the ease/value of renting or trading points? Do any resorts carry premiums over others (I’m getting into CC). Given what looks to be the average run rate of $15/pp and my dues would be half of that, I have a hard time giving up my points for only $7.60/pp give or take. I think I’d take the nights on property one way or another every time!!

Again, all new to me other than actually renting a few years back (which was a flawless experience as a renter)

Use a broker to make it easy for the first time. They get a cut of the money, but you'll get more than $7.60 per point through a broker.

Thanks in advance for any insight! Closing in on my first purchase of a small loaded contract. As I do the math I realize 2019 use year isn’t the best for my wife and I to use all the points (too many family and friends weddings to go to and not enough PTO).

Can anyone share their experience of the ease/value of renting or trading points? Do any resorts carry premiums over others (I’m getting into CC). Given what looks to be the average run rate of $15/pp and my dues would be half of that, I have a hard time giving up my points for only $7.60/pp give or take. I think I’d take the nights on property one way or another every time!!

Again, all new to me other than actually renting a few years back (which was a flawless experience as a renter)
Very few people can make a profit by renting their points out, especially thru brokers who charge the renter $18-$19 per point and pay the owner $13-$14 per point. However, half a loaf is better than nothing and if you clear $7.60 after dues, you're doing better than breaking even.

Here's my take:
  1. If your loaded contract included points from the previous UY, you probably did not pay dues on those points.
  2. Going thru a broker is fairly easy. You notify them of the number of points, the resort and the UY. The broker matches you with a renter.
  3. Using a broker adds a layer of protection for both the owner and the renter.
  4. Using a broker means a larger pool of potential renters is available. This is especially important if you have distressed (soon to expire) points to move.
  5. Using a broker is a good way to get comfortable with the rental process.

Very few people can make a profit by renting their points out, especially thru brokers who charge the renter $18-$19 per point and pay the owner $13-$14 per point. However, half a loaf is better than nothing and if you clear $7.60 after dues, you're doing better than breaking even.

Here's my take:
  1. If your loaded contract included points from the previous UY, you probably did not pay dues on those points.
You are correct! And I just won’t be able to use the initial ones so why not take full brokered profit. An excellent point

Just like you I purchased a loaded contract that came with points I could not use. Once I had the closing I contacted the same company about renting the points. Basically I filled out and email a form with all the pertinent information and then emailed a signed agreement back for each rental. That was it, then I just waited for the checks. No muss no fuss. No lost points.

Good to know. I got over excited and jumped the gun on my original CC offer. No points until 2020. Deposit already paid. Found a better offer, loaded. Goal is to sell the points I can’t use to cover my lost deposit and still gain the 2019 use year points

Sounds like a broker is the simplest way!

Good to know. I got over excited and jumped the gun on my original CC offer. No points until 2020. Deposit already paid. Found a better offer, loaded. Goal is to sell the points I can’t use to cover my lost deposit and still gain the 2019 use year points

Sounds like a broker is the simplest way!

Beware of the timings, points might expire before you have a chance to rent them.
Closing on a resale contract could take easily 3 months from offer to getting your account set up. Then you have to find a renter who want a room before the points expire and there must be availability. If by the time you close you have only 3-4 months to rent the points before they expire, nothing could be available, depending on the time of the year.

If by the time you close you have only 3-4 months to rent the points before they expire, nothing could be available, depending on the time of the year.

And if there is availability, you'll be renting at distressed rates. Won't be $15pp. closer to $7-8.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts