• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would a 3yr old Like SeaWorld?

devotedchristian

DIS Veteran
DS(20months) will be 3 when we take our first family trip. I don't feel comfortable taking him to the Disney Theme Parks. It would be too much for *me*.

We need something *quieter* than Disney World and I was looking at seaworld.com and it looks like it could be just the place for a family who takes things nice and slow.

We are a very slow family. :blush:

I have read that I could get there by 8am and be out by 1pm to avoid a meltdown and head back to the hotel. We are going Friday-Sunday. Seaworld on Saturday and head home on Sunday. Should we stay near Sea World so that we can be close for his nap on Saturday?

Without hesitation... YES... a 3 year old will LOVE SeaWorld. First of all, SeaWorld doesn't open until 9 a.m., but I would recommend getting there so you can be in the gates at 9. I'd even suggest ordering tickets in advance so you don't have to wait in the ticket line. Saturday tends to be one of the busiest days.

If your 3 year old will nap in the stroller (bring your own, SeaWorld's don't recline), I would plan on doing that rather than leaving the park at 1:00. I'm not sure if you can do it justice in that short of time. You can find a shady place for your son to nap in the stroller and then leave the park around 4:00, then it shouldn't be too long of a day for him.

There are several shows/attractions that I would recommend for a 3 year old

Shows:
Shamu
Pets Ahoy
Clyde & Seamore (Sea lion and otter show)

Attractions:
Penguin Encounter
Wild Arctic (you don't have to ride the motion simulator, just view the film while standing)
Dolphin Cove (you can feed the dolphins... a 3 y.o. won't be able to reach, but will get a kick out of seeing the dolphins that close... there's also an underwater viewing area)
Pacific Point Preserve (seals and sea lions, try to get there at feeding time)

YES YES YES

Took my almost 3-year nephew and 1-1/2 year old neice back in December

They both loved it!

He can't wait to go back there1 Good thing we are goin in May! :)

Everytime I see the kids, all he talks about is Sea World...loved Shamu, doplohins, stingrays and manatees!

You won't see much if you leave Sea world by one. The park doesn't open till 9AM. The first show is at 10 or 10:15 and then they are staggered throughout the day. You will also want to spend time with the dolphins, seals, and stingrays. Your littlle one might even want to feed them. And you will want to go to Arctic Adventure to see the polar bears, beluga whales and walrus. The pet show is also a good one for little ones. I get a kick out of it myself.

We were just at Seaworld on Monday with our 3 kids -- 7, 4 and 18 months. They all really liked it. But, I agree with another poster who said you really won't see much by 1. We arrived in the parking lot at 9:10 (park opened at 9) and we stayed until 4. We saw pretty much everything except the Pets Ahoy show. By 1 we had only seen the Clyde and Seymour show, Shamu show, Penguins, Shark Encounter, Clydesdales and had lunch.

All 3 of my kids LOVED the Clyde and Seymour show, Shamu show and Shark encounter. My two oldest also enjoyed feeding the sea lions (we had to hold my 4 year old up so he could throw the food) and petting the sting rays.

In all reality, your son may not need his nap as much at 3 as he does now and you may be able to stay until later in the afternoon. Our 18 month old did really well even though she didn't nap. She did fall asleep in the car before we were back on the interstate though, LOL!

Personally, given the cost of tickets, I would not go if I thought I could only stay 4 hours. Just my opinion. But, if you do stay at a nearby hotel you could alwys leave and let him nap and then come back for the evening after he wakes up.

Definitely recommend the park to you. As people have said I wouldn't leave the park at 1 pm, I would just stick it out.

Even if you stay for most of the day...it's not nearly as fast as the Disney parks. You can take it slow and get most things done in one day. The shows help if you get tired.

Another vote YES!!! My 3 kids - 2, 4, & 10 all loved the park & are just as excited to go back there as they are to Disney. It is a very laid back park but it does take some walking to get to the different areas. I agree w/the suggestion to avoid naptime or just take a break in the park instead.

Is it possible to take advantage of their buy one day/go a second free & spend additional time there Sunday before you go? Or Friday when you arrive? It took us 2 5 hr days to slowly see everything we wanted to visit & spend time at the exhibits.

Shamu's Happy Harbor is a great play area for kids. However, be careful: if you let your kid go in there, he may not want to come out!

If you want to splurge, stay at the Renaissance Resort. They have good rates for the holidays, and are located directly across from the parking lot. That way, you can walk back and forth. If that's too much money, the next closest hotel is the Hilton Garden Inn.

And I agree with everyone up above. Get there early at 08:30am, and you'll probably stay until about 4pm. Since you are not going on any rides, all you have to do is arrive each show 20 minutes early. The happy harbour play area is shaded, and your kid will want to stay in there for hours. Eat lunch at 11am, or after 2pm to avoid the crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter