Would a 4 year old need a stroller?!

KatHazz204

Earning My Ears
My little boy turns 4 in February, 3 months before our trip. We don't do a lot of walking as I have joint problems. Im wondering if since he isn't used to the walking if I should bring one with me or just hire one over there? Think its about $20 a day or so. Or if I should bring one if anyone could recommend a good stroller I could bring that isn't overly expensive since I probably won't be using it again after our trip.

thank you :)

Having said that, our trip is for 14 days at Disney so that would be quite a lot in total to hire them every day in comparison to buying one!

I would bring one or buy one at Walmart while you are here. I definitely think you will need it.

I would for sure suggest getting a stroller or bringing one. If you are flying you might want to consider a offsite rental (I know a lot of people recommend against this) but it worked great for us when we took my 4 year old nephew. It might have cost slightly more than buying an umbrella stroller on Amazon and then donating it after we left but it was worth every penny, it came standard with cupholders, there was tons of space under it, it could recline so he could rest or fall asleep in it (he did both on more than one occasion) the best part though was it folded flat in seconds with just the pull of a single handle. Also looking at the Kingdom Strollers that we used for a 14 day rental it is 100 dollars which works out to about 7.15 a day. The nicest part of getting the rental is that they drop it off and pick it up for you, no figuring out what to do with it at the end of the trip.

If you are driving or will have a vehicle to go offsite it might be worth buying an umbrella stroller at Walmart like @maxiesmom says but for us since we fly in having it delivered to the resort was the best option for us. whatever way you go though you will need a stroller

If you have one and are driving, bring it. When we took our 4 year old grandson he rode in it about 75% of the time or more and as previously mentioned, it's good if it has a basket underneath to hold your "stuff". We intend to take it with us in April when our almost 4 year old granddaughter will use it and perhaps her older brother might tag a ride if he tires out as well.

Last edited:
My 6 and 4 year old who don't normally use the stroller anymore at home would have been miserable without it in WDW this last trip. Made it easy for the 4 year old to crash and nap for a bit and give their legs a break so we could get where we were going. I honestly liked knowing they were in the double stroller instead of trying to navigate the parks holding their hands.

I just rent the double stroller in the park.
My 5 and 7 year rode in it. Was great. They walk some but rode in it most. Made them happy and more importantly me happy. No meltdowns

My 5 year old nephew used a stroller last summer. It was nice that he could take a break whenever he got tired from all the walking and def helped with the crowds.

Buy a stroller from Wal-Mart. Don't rent one, total waste of money.

My bigger concern in reading your post is not for the 4 year old, but for you. You said you don't walk a lot. How are you going to manage? There's no way to avoid a ton of walking at WDW, unless your in an EV.

Buy a stroller from Wal-Mart. Don't rent one, total waste of money.

My bigger concern in reading your post is not for the 4 year old, but for you. You said you don't walk a lot. How are you going to manage? There's no way to avoid a ton of walking at WDW, unless your in an EV.
The stroller you would rent from an offsite company are much higher quality than one you could buy at Walmart for tha same price. They have adjustable handles, full sun shades, recline for napping (which both my kids did at Disney at 4). Also the push is much better on the rental strollers than the cheap Walmart stroller. If the op has joint problems the ease of pushing can be a life saver. Also dh used our stroller as a "walker" when he had back problems. It allowed him to take some pressure off his back while he pushed. This could benefit the op. The cheap Walmart stroller will likely not have adjustable handles so you will be hunched over. Not fun. Having done Disney with a nice stroller and a nicer umbrella (macclaren) I will never push an umbrella around for days again.

Definitely rent, you will get a much higher quality stroller, and I assume you don't need a stroller for a 4 year old at home.

meh- buy a $20 umbrella stroller before you go, leave it for another pseron to use on your way home.easy and cheap. and easy to bring on a bus etc while there. 4 years old is on the edge, he'll likely sit in it,but also spend a lot of time hopping out and running around

Took my 5 yr old DGS in June. Rented stroller from Kingdom Strollers. It was there when we got there. No probs. Could NOT have done as much as we did without the stroller . A lot of walking & heat combined. Sometimes he walked & sometimes he didn't. Worked out perfectly for us

I would definitely recommend using a stroller. I don't think a cheap umbrella one is a good idea because you mentioned you have joint issues. You probably want to pick one that's really easy to push. I don't think the Disney rentals would be the best option either. I would either rent from a reputable offsite company or buy one for the trip. I wonder if you could even ship it to your resort.

The stroller you would rent from an offsite company are much higher quality than one you could buy at Walmart for tha same price.

Yes, this!^^ Wal-Mart umbrella strollers cannot compare with the City Mini strollers that you can rent at Kingdom Strollers, Orlando Strollers, etc. Wal-Mart strollers (or Target or wherever) are flimsy, the sun shade does not actually shade the child as it is far too short, they tip over when you hang a bag on the handles and the child gets up, the handles are not tall enough for anyone over about 5'6" to push without bending over, they don't fully recline, I could go on and on! Complete junk. People spend so much on a Disney trip and then settle for a junky stroller to save a few bucks. Cannot understand it.

I also say yes stroller, but please don't use a cheap umbrella stroller. I have done it both ways and always recommend the nicer stroller. You will be happier and so will your child. Hope you have a great trip!

We're taking our daughter who will be nearly 5 in Nov, and doesn't use a stroller normally. But we will be taking a folding stroller, because of the amount of walking that is done while in the parks. You don't really realize just how much walking you do while you're there, and to ask our daughter to do that much walking would be silly. I'd end up carrying her at some point, so we'll all be much more comfortable with a stroller that she can hop in and out of when needed.

We'll use a double with my 5 and 7 year olds. There is no way they'd ever use one at home or even at our local Six Flags, but the heat of August combined with long days, they'll need a spot to rest when they're tuckered out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!