Would a 4 year old need a stroller?!

Yes, this!^^ Wal-Mart umbrella strollers cannot compare with the City Mini strollers that you can rent at Kingdom Strollers, Orlando Strollers, etc. Wal-Mart strollers (or Target or wherever) are flimsy, the sun shade does not actually shade the child as it is far too short, they tip over when you hang a bag on the handles and the child gets up, the handles are not tall enough for anyone over about 5'6" to push without bending over, they don't fully recline, I could go on and on! Complete junk. People spend so much on a Disney trip and then settle for a junky stroller to save a few bucks. Cannot understand it.

Yes, I got your little sneaky jab at my post. Each to their own. I wouldn't disagree that a very expensive stroller is higher quality than the Wal-Mart one. It's a personal decision if you really feel like you need a fancy one. I don't see it. Even if I did, no way would I just throw money away and rent one. You can buy one for under $100. Then it's yours. No worries about damaging it. When you're done with it, if you don't need it anymore, sell it for $75 and you come out ahead...or if you really want, gift it to someone at WDW. We actually did something like that a few years ago. We bought a used high quality double jogging stroller on Craigslist for something like $60. Used it for a few weeks, then sold it to another family vacationing. I don't remember how much I sold it for, but it was a nominal amount, far less than I paid. She was thrilled. Maybe you cannot understand it, but then again, maybe you're in a much different financial situation.

Yes, I got your little sneaky jab at my post.

I certainly wasn't being sneaky or taking a jab...just giving my opinion based on experience which is what these boards are about. Obviously people's opinions do differ.

We have spent a TON over the last twenty some years at Disney. I have always used the cheap Walmart strollers and have never rented. It has nothing to do with the money, I just like the idea of "gifting" it when we leave. If it gets banged up, spilled on, vomited on, etc... we just throw it away and pick up another one.(All of the above has happened on one of our trips!!) Our four year old walks as much as she rides and we are not a bag packing family so no issues with a tipping stroller. My dh and I giggle our way through the park as we watch people carrying everything under the sun for their kids, most of which they never use. I only know this as we were one the families when we had our first. Live and learn they say!!

And for a vote on the other side. We didn't use a stroller for our four year old twins and they were fine. And we got there at opening and stayed till close. But you have to know your child. We did all day treks at our local amusement parks so we knew they could handle it no problem.

I'm trying to figure this out myself. We will have a 6, 3, and 1 year old. I'm thinking the 6 or 3 might take turns? I'm also considering Baby wearing the 1 as well. I don't know who's best to rent from though. Our van will likely be full. My mother suggested we just purchase 2 inexpensive umbrella strollers so our group could split if needed.

For that long of a trip to Disney I would buy one used on Craigslist. Then sell it off after the trip. You will want some kind of a stroller. I remember that even as a teenager wishing that I could ride in a stroller. It will be useful.

What about an 8 day trip?

???? How will this solve an issue with a tired child?

OP- have you made a plan for you? Please do not wait iuntil you arrive to make arrangement for your own means of travel. You can rent scooters in the park, but that only solves the park problem. There are outside rental companies that can deliver the scooter to you, and then pick it up at the end of your trip. No matter where you are, there is a lot of walking.

As to the stroller, we always just rented one in the park, but that can add up. We found it worth the money becase we did nto want to lug it on and off of buses, but we also never stayed for 4 days. However you decide to manage a stroller, i would get one. My DGD was an active strong little girl who normally ran circles around me used one when we were in WDW. Sometimes she just wanted to get away from all the chaos around her, other times she just needed the rest.

I'm trying to figure this out myself. We will have a 6, 3, and 1 year old. I'm thinking the 6 or 3 might take turns? I'm also considering Baby wearing the 1 as well. I don't know who's best to rent from though. Our van will likely be full. My mother suggested we just purchase 2 inexpensive umbrella strollers so our group could split if needed.

If you buy umbrella strollers, make sure they are comfortable to push. Many have short handles and you end up walking a bit hunched over. Which is fine for a quick trip to the mall. Not fine for days in the Disney parks. Your back will hate you.

???? How will this solve an issue with a tired child?

OP- have you made a plan for you? Please do not wait iuntil you arrive to make arrangement for your own means of travel. You can rent scooters in the park, but that only solves the park problem. There are outside rental companies that can deliver the scooter to you, and then pick it up at the end of your trip. No matter where you are, there is a lot of walking.

As to the stroller, we always just rented one in the park, but that can add up. We found it worth the money becase we did nto want to lug it on and off of buses, but we also never stayed for 4 days. However you decide to manage a stroller, i would get one. My DGD was an active strong little girl who normally ran circles around me used one when we were in WDW. Sometimes she just wanted to get away from all the chaos around her, other times she just needed the rest.

Sorry, I should have Clarified that I just meant Renting vs Buying two inexpensive umbrellas.

If you buy umbrella strollers, make sure they are comfortable to push. Many have short handles and you end up walking a bit hunched over. Which is fine for a quick trip to the mall. Not fine for days in the Disney parks. Your back will hate you.
Good point! I'm short however, I do know the one we have I'm not crazy about the hunkering over I have to do or two separate handles to steer. That could get uncomfortable.
Hmm maybe rent two separate strollers? City minis?

I'll never do anything but an umbrella stroller again. It was so easy compared to the big ol' rented stroller. So much easier to be nimble in crowds. Depending on the bus style, we were sometimes able to fold it and stick it under the bus bench.

And my four year old was happier to be in a stroller than my 11 month old!

I'll never do anything but an umbrella stroller again. It was so easy compared to the big ol' rented stroller. So much easier to be nimble in crowds. Depending on the bus style, we were sometimes able to fold it and stick it under the bus bench.

And my four year old was happier to be in a stroller than my 11 month old!

How'd did it push? Was it difficult at times and could your 4 year old comfortably rest or fall asleep?

In agreement with what everyone else has said, I think a stroller makes it easier to keep an eye on your kid(s). They're contained and out of the way of other strollers, kids, adults that are often in the crowded walkways. Another plus is getting one place to another, I can stick my kids in the stroller and get somewhere in half the time instead of struggling with holding two hands and little legs. I think strollers at Disney are a no-brainer. Yes, there are a ton of them, but decorate yours so it stands out to you, and it's no where near as difficult as people make it seem. I'd much rather my kiddo take a break or snooze in the stroller than waste time going back to the room (you're talking hours here). In fact, I think this poster is GENIUS @LyonsSnape and we're coping her idea for our 4 year old for our September trip: Sleeping in a sit-n-stand stroller.

The last time we went to Disney World, we walked between 15 and 17 miles per day. No kid is used to that. I say better safe than sorry! You can always leave it parked somewhere and go back to it if he isn't using it.

Our son was 4 on our last trip in November and he happily shared a double with his 2yo sister. He's a high energy little guy and it takes a lot to wear him out, but he used it as much as his sister did. Even with mid-day pool breaks every day, it's a rare 4yo that can keep up with the kind of walking the average family does in the parks each day.

Over the years, we've gone just about every route. We've brought strollers from home, bought in Orlando, rented, etc. The only thing we've never done is rent the uncomfortable strollers inside the park. After many trips we've found it's easiest to rent a double stroller for the two of them from offsite. The quality is excellent, they're there waiting for us in bell services, we don't have to lug it around the airport, they push far easier than an umbrella, are stable enough to handle a bag or two stored underneath, and they're not terribly expensive in the grand scheme of things.

This might be a dumb question but do you ever worry about how they are cleaned? Like what if some kid had bed bugs ??
Maybe I'm just worrying to much lol

They've always been very clean and reasonably well cared for. If I recall correctly, Kingdom seemed in better condition than Orlando on the last couple of visits, but that may have just been due to the replacement/rotation schedule.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!