Would a Non Thrill Seeking 8 Year Old Enjoy Universal?

mmbrad02

DIS Veteran
We have a Disney cruise planned in October and looked to do a couple activities either a day or two prior to the cruise, or a day or two after. It's myself, my DH, and our 8 year old daughter. She does not like roller coasters much at all - we bribe her to ride Seven Dwards Mine Train, but does love Dinosaur at AK - it's more of the speed/drop combo that gets her. And for what it's worth, I am the exact same way, although rides like SDMT and Big Thunder at MK do not bother me.

That said, should we keep any of the Universal parks on our suggestion list, or cross that out and move on? I've never been, and from an outsider looking in, I'm not sure how much all of us could enjoy?

Does your family enjoy the characters/movies at Universal? My family has some non-thrill riders, but we are into Harry Potter, the Simpsons, MIB, Despicable Me, Jurassic Park, ET, Dr. Seuss, etc. so it was worth it for us. We found plenty to do. (None of us went on Dr. Doom, Hulk, Rip Ride Rocket or Ripsaw Falls)
Since your daughter likes Dinosaur, I'm guessing it is really the "rollercoaster" aspect versus the scary aspect....so many of the motion simulator rides at Universal would be fine.
I might consider waiting a year or 2, though. My 12 year old had to be talked into all the mountains at Disney when he was 9...now he is not a thrill junkie still, but at 12 he wanted to do both Harry Potter rides over and over. (Takes after me, I wouldn't ride Space Mountain until I was in high school!)

That being said, when we went on a cruise, we enjoyed visiting Kennedy Space Center beforehand.

I agree - I can't ride Universal rides because of motion sickness but it's fun to walk around and check out the scenery. I would look at a day at the beach, the space center or even a water park day if it's early enough in October. If it were me, I would spend the money on Mickey's Halloween party for one night :).

I took my kids in 2017; they were 9 and almost 8. Nine-year-old rode EVERYTHING and loved it. Almost-8-year-old chickened out on a lot of rides, including many rides that are not thrill rides, and he'd probably love if he gave them a shot. He still had a great time.

I bought them each a wand, and we spent time doing the various windows in both of the HP areas. These were amazing! The train rides between Hogsmeade and Kings Cross are great - a different ride in each direction but definitely not a thrill ride. My son wouldn't do either Escape from Gringotts or Forbidden Journey, but he rode Flight of the Hippogriff (kiddie coaster) over and over and over at closing. He adored MIB ride; not scary at all and shooting at the aliens was so much fun. Minions ride is a simulator with minimal movement - auditorium seating and a funny story. There are some other wilder simulator rides like Transformers that your child may or may not like. They are fast moving, but not roller coasters, so no drops.

If your kid likes Dinosaur at AK, then she'd probably love the Jurassic Park rides (one is a cool water ride that's similar to Dinosaur with animatronics, and the other is a kiddie pteranodon ride that is actually quite fun). There's a great Jurassic park play area with an area for fantastic water play that had my almost-8-year-old completely and happily soaked.

We enjoyed the shows, especially the Sinbad stunt show that is similar to Indiana Jones at HS.

I really think it's definitely worth trying. The parks have a lot of detail in their sets that make it fun just to look around. Even the Dr. Seuss area was fun for me as an adult because it was really like stepping into a Seuss book. The rides are kiddie rides, but the visual details are outstanding.

If your 8 yo likes Dinosaur at AK then I think you could have a lot of fun at Universal. I agree with smiths02 that your enjoyment level will vary based on how much you and your child like the characters there too.

Off the top of my head, here are all the things I think you could enjoy:

Spider-Man: Ride that moves you between various 3D screens maybe one scary step up from Star Tours
Kong: Your Ride vehicle looks much like the ride vehicle from the Safari at AK and moves you between 3D screens
Jurassic Park: most of the Ride is no more scary than Dinosaur but be aware there is a very large drop at the end (it is a boat ride and I can’t remember for sure but I think I read the drop is much bigger than at the end of Splash Mountain)
Hogwarts Express: not scary at all
Posideons Fury: A show that moves you through various rooms with different special effects, a lot of people find it cheesy but I love it. Be aware there are times of total darkness
Caro-Seuss-el: cute merry go round
Trolley in the sky: Similar to the peoplemover at MK but with scenes from Seuss stories too
One Fish Two Fish: like Dumbo only there is a chance you will get wet
Cat in the Hat: dark ride through the story
Jimmy Fallon’s Race through New York: motion simulator ride - cute not scary
Fast and the Furious: Again the ride vehicle LOOKS much like the safari vehicle at AK and you move between 3D screens
Men in Black: really fun shoot at aliens and try to get a high score - not scary at all
Simpson’s: Motion simulator in front of a 3D screen
ET: gentle ride in the dark through the story of ET
Transformers: this basically is the same ride as Spider-Man as far as intensity, etc. - a ride vehicle moves you between 3D screens

I am sure that I am forgetting some things, but as you can see that is quite a list of non roller coaster things to do! Hope this helps!

I forgot to mention the biggest deciding factor too - if your child has any interest in Harry Potter, then go to Universal even if you don’t plan to ride the major HP - the level of detail in the Wizarding World is amazing, you could spend hours and hours in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley without going on a single ride.

Thanks everyone! It's on the list of consideration after your positive feedback!

Basically we are looking to fly in on Saturday, so possibly some sort of activity Saturday evening and all day Sunday. (Still waiting on airfare prices at the moment). The list of possibilities are looking like

Universal
Mickeys Not so Scary Halloween Party
Day at Animal Kingom or Magic Kingdom (DD loves AK)
I like Sea World but DH isn't a big fan of the idea
Kennedy Space Center
Maybe a trip to the American Girl store (DD is a big fan, but we just made an overnight trip in January to her first store visit in Nashville).
Orlando Eye

These are just some things that have come to mind in the area. I also considered a beach day at Cocoa Beach but DD has a fear of jellyfish at the moment and is petrified of the beach idea - but hoping our day at CC on the cruise helps with this!

If your 8 yo likes Dinosaur at AK then I think you could have a lot of fun at Universal. I agree with smiths02 that your enjoyment level will vary based on how much you and your child like the characters there too.

Off the top of my head, here are all the things I think you could enjoy:

Spider-Man: Ride that moves you between various 3D screens maybe one scary step up from Star Tours
Kong: Your Ride vehicle looks much like the ride vehicle from the Safari at AK and moves you between 3D screens
Jurassic Park: most of the Ride is no more scary than Dinosaur but be aware there is a very large drop at the end (it is a boat ride and I can’t remember for sure but I think I read the drop is much bigger than at the end of Splash Mountain)
Hogwarts Express: not scary at all
Posideons Fury: A show that moves you through various rooms with different special effects, a lot of people find it cheesy but I love it. Be aware there are times of total darkness
Caro-Seuss-el: cute merry go round
Trolley in the sky: Similar to the peoplemover at MK but with scenes from Seuss stories too
One Fish Two Fish: like Dumbo only there is a chance you will get wet
Cat in the Hat: dark ride through the story
Jimmy Fallon’s Race through New York: motion simulator ride - cute not scary
Fast and the Furious: Again the ride vehicle LOOKS much like the safari vehicle at AK and you move between 3D screens
Men in Black: really fun shoot at aliens and try to get a high score - not scary at all
Simpson’s: Motion simulator in front of a 3D screen
ET: gentle ride in the dark through the story of ET
Transformers: this basically is the same ride as Spider-Man as far as intensity, etc. - a ride vehicle moves you between 3D screens

I am sure that I am forgetting some things, but as you can see that is quite a list of non roller coaster things to do! Hope this helps!

Thanks! Your list is very comprehensive and very helpful. I’m a ride wimp and have never considered going to Universal because I thought there’s not much for me as I dislike roller coasters/ very intense rides. But your list made me feel like there would be plenty of rides that I would be able to go on. :flower1:

If your daughter likes Harry Potter at all, agree with those who say do Universal. It is amazing. I didn't go on the main ride (claustrophobic), but could have spent hours and hours at Diagon Alley. So amazing. There are plenty of easy rides. Check out You Tube (this helped us immensely) deciding on rides.

I think you would really like it since she loves Dinosaur. Lots of stuff like that at the Universal parks. The parks are super well kept and beautiful to look at even if you ride nothing. I think she would love Seuss Landing and the Cat in the Hat ride. Everything's just so pretty! And of course, Harry Potter! I don't think Disney could have done a better job than Universal did. It's amazing. Do like I did and make her read all of the books before the trip. It's sooo much better if you know what you're looking at. I made my best friend do the same and she never stopped thanking me for making her do that. Now she's read all the books 3 times over and is a bigger fan than I am! lol

HI OP, I have to say in all honesty, I found Universal to NOT be what I thought. I had an open mind but was disappointed. Honestly, I would suggest to continue Disney before a Disney cruise. I certainly think folks should have their own experience please know that Universal Studios is largely all simulation rides and I found this to get old. Just my opinion. Perhaps you can do a few of those things on your list and combine it with the Scary Halloween at the Park before going on the cruise and continuing the Halloween festivities there! Either way, enjoy!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter