Would an ALD be appropriate for my mom?

April76

<font color=blue>I believe in everything...<font c
This will be our first trip with my mom since she has become wheelchair bound --- she has also lost quite a bit of her hearing over the years (she's 83).... she refuses to see a doctor for a hearing aid , but I wonder if the ALD's available at the parks would be a benefit for her while watching shows, etc.

Has anyone used an ALD for someone like my mom --- did it improve their understanding/enjoyment of the shows?

Thank you!

April
While I have not tried them there is little harm that can be done if she tries it. It can't hurt and it might help. Deposit is $25 fully refundable on return.
I don't use it because they aren't compatible with my hearing aids and I am fully able to use the interpreters. I, in fact, prefer them to my hearing aids.

Other services you might want to look into are the Handheld Captioning System (also available at Guest Relations) and Reflective Captioning (check the guidemap to see where it is offered and request it from a CM at each attraction where applicable).
Have fun!

I agree with Lisa and Steve. I'm not sure if it will help or not, but you may as well try it and see.
She might also like the other aids. I have no needs for either of them, but have read a lot about them and they sound very useful and easy to use. For reflective captioning there is a caption machine behind you that reflects off a piece of plexiglass that is held. As you watch the show, the caption shows on the plexiglass. The handheld system is similar, but the caption actually shows up in a unit similar to a palm pilot that is held.

Thanks for the advice. She doesn't wear any hearing aids (although I wish she'd try) so I'm hoping that the ALD is an improvement for her over nothing at all ---- the captioning is a good idea, but unfortunately my mom doesn't see to read very well either.......

oh well, maybe I can talk her into an eye exam and new Rx glasses before the trip.... (and maybe I'll even tell her she's GOING to WDW ---- if I tell her too soon, it just gives her time to worry about being a "burden" to us, and find excuses why we shouldn't take her, etc.) but I'm sure she'll have a great time once she gets there (I just hope it's not too cold during the day).

Thanks again to everyone for the advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter