Would an opinion piece like this be written in your town?

ozliz

DIS Veteran
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/st...quette-dont-talk-on-the-tram-please/?cs=14225

For context, Canberra is a small city but is also the capital city of Australia the city so likes to pretend it is a big city from time to time.

Despite many moving to the city for work, it also has a reputation of being hard to break into socially. I have to say despite this I was quite surprised to read the article that was written in response to passengers on the new tram that was recently opened.

I’m curious as many know of Australia as being a friendly place and I certainly find the USA, especially the south, to be a very friendly place. Would someone write something like this in your city? What’s the friendliness culture like?

For the record, it makes no difference to me, when I take public transport to work I’m one of the many antisocial people with headphones in!

that just sounds like my typical morning and evening commute. I live in Dublin, Ireland and yes Ireland is marketed by the the Government as this friendly hundred thousand place of welcomes, but thats all tourist waffle. The day to day reality is very different.

I see nothing wrong with the etiquette rules stated in this piece. I take public transport, both bus and tram daily. On the tram there are security guards wearing stab vests as the tram route is notorious for petty crime and anti social behaviour.

Basically you only talk to your travel party, if you are alone, you dont strike up a conversation with your seat mate.

The routes both tram and bus are very congested, if you board at the start of the route you will get a seat, if you board halfway along the route, you wont. I get the bus about 8am every morning, and by the time I get to my destination, the bus is so crowded, you literally have to push and elbow your way off the bus.

I’m okay with sharing etiquette suggestions, especially in transportation situations. Driving needs them the most, and it’s just getting worse.

One of my peeves in public transportation is with escalators and moving sidewalks. I still climb/walk on them. I don’t know why—I just do. It’s fine with me if others just want to ride, but please stay to the side!

Even though my local metro area has almost a million people, we don't have light rail. But, we do have buses. And for the most part, people don't talk.

:sad2: Oh, seriously, what’s the harm? It always amuses me when people react to casual, one-off encounters with such irritation. Some people are more out-going than others; some just talk to hear the sound of their own voices.

It’s easy enough to nod and smile politely then avert your attention elsewhere to end the interaction. If the “grand lady” (not sure exactly what that infers in Australia) gets ignored often enough she will likely stop making overtures and it doesn’t sound like she’s a regular commuter anyway.

:sad2: Oh, seriously, what’s the harm? It always amuses me when people react to casual, one-off encounters with such irritation. Some people are more out-going than others; some just talk to hear the sound of their own voices.

well when you have a 60 to 70 minute bus journey every morning before work and the same to get home, 5 days a week, you really are in no mood for randomers trying to talk to you. In the mornings most people are barely awake, and in the evening most people just want a bit of piece and to shut off and to not have to interact with anyone.

I use to ride the light rial in high school and college when I lived in northern California and the general rule of thumb was to be quite. It was not a social event. Back before phones we read books, magazines, or newspapers. If you rode with someone you might carry on a low volume conversation, but not loud enough for others to hear, that is annoying. You don;t make eye contact. Nor do you sit next to someone if there's a sea of open seats.

Posting etiquette rules is probably a good thing as far too many people seem to be unaware that they exist.

We have buses and light rail here, and no one talks, and that seems to be the rule commuting to the city, and in the city. However, that’s for buses and close trains, I don’t know about ferries (by far the most civilized yet most expensive option), and I had a friend (who is a 1 1/2 hour ride to the city) who had a close commuter friendship with the regulars (cocktails every night).

No, this wouldn't be written in our city (Louisville). We're not a big public transportation city, but of those taking public transporation I'd say they keep to themselves but aren't annoyed if someone engages them in conversation.

In preparing for a trip to London last year I read that we shouldn't try to engage others in conversation on the Tube. I'm guessing that's more of a large city thing, but I've never lived in one so I can't say for sure.

I do think it's sad this person felt the need to write an article basically telling people to shut up, and the paper felt it was worthy of print.

I live in NOLA, it would be odd if ppl didn’t talk. We don’t have light rail, but it’s hard to go anywhere without someone trying to engage you in a conversation.

ETA: It’s actually considered rude to not at least say hi or good morning to anyone who you make eye contact with.

I don't think most people chat on the train or bus in Portland. Although, I have struck up a few conversations, usually with women whose shoes I admire. :) I usually ride the train to events though, if I rode everyday I am sure I would find more reason to chat with people.

It doesn't seem this woman was a smile and nod and return to your own business (my SOP), or the PP who said she will comment on shoes (who doesn't like a brief compliment?) but those people who can NOT find a freaking clue by 4!

well when you have a 60 to 70 minute bus journey every morning before work and the same to get home, 5 days a week, you really are in no mood for randomers trying to talk to you. In the mornings most people are barely awake, and in the evening most people just want a bit of piece and to shut off and to not have to interact with anyone.

I totally get that, but this article gave me the feeling that this was an unusual random woman, not a regular on the tram who does this every day.

I figure regulars will be more likely to read that article than the once-in-a-great-whilers anyway, rendering it less effective than the author probably hoped. Unless of course, the author never meant is a an actual tip, but as a merely a chance to publicly complain. ;)

I'm wondering who declared the writer an expert on light-rail etiquette? The purpose of etiquette is to put everyone at ease in a social situation. I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all on this. DH is an extrovert and will start a conversation with anyone, especially on a plane. I tend to greet a stranger who's stuck with me in a flying sardine can, then try to curl up and sleep.

Similarly, on the rare occasions I take the light rail into Phoenix, I just keep to myself. I've run into some very strange strangers, and I don't engage -- out of self preservation.

LOL. Not a chance it would be written around here.

We talk on the bus (don't have a tram), we talk in line anywhere, we talk in waiting rooms, we talk to each other anywhere anytime. Its just the way here. Are we overly friendly? Yep, probably. Does it get on some nerves? Probably. But honestly, they would be the odd man out. And I like it. I love going places I don't normally go and having people to talk to. The best are the elderly folks that like to tell stories of their growing up years. So fun to listen to.

Having grown up here, I would be very uncomfortable on a train every day with basically the same bunch of people and no one talking. It would be weird for me.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/st...quette-dont-talk-on-the-tram-please/?cs=14225

For context, Canberra is a small city but is also the capital city of Australia the city so likes to pretend it is a big city from time to time.

Despite many moving to the city for work, it also has a reputation of being hard to break into socially. I have to say despite this I was quite surprised to read the article that was written in response to passengers on the new tram that was recently opened.

I’m curious as many know of Australia as being a friendly place and I certainly find the USA, especially the south, to be a very friendly place. Would someone write something like this in your city? What’s the friendliness culture like?

For the record, it makes no difference to me, when I take public transport to work I’m one of the many antisocial people with headphones in!

The article flirted with greatness but it needs a rule to put on do.

My public transit commuting experience is limited to the DC Metro and no, people didn’t generally speak to each other beyond possibly a quick greeting.

Small talk with strangers takes energy. Personally, I find I’m most likely to be in a bubbly, outgoing mood in situations where I’m well-rested and relaxed, like on vacation and in social situations that I actually want to be in. When commuting, I’m tired. I don’t have the energy to spare and I just want to use that time to shut my brain off and recharge. I suspect most people are the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter