Would I Qualify For DAS - Spinal Fusion

Disney216

Earning My Ears
Hello! I’m in the process of planning things for my upcoming Disney trip. I usually go for one day a time, but this will be a full four days and as excited as I am, I’m also worried about my back. I know DAS is an option, but I’m worried about what they’ll say. I’ve been able to get it before, but now I’m having doubts…

Long story short, I had spinal fusion to correct severe scoliosis and then a second surgery because something went wrong with the first, and I’m looking at more in the future. These surgeries have left me in chronic pain and disabled. I can’t do a ton of walking/standing without breaks, and sitting in a wheelchair has left me in more pain when I tried that. I also get very overwhelmed when I’m in more pain.

Will they tell me to get a wheelchair rather than DAS even when the wheelchair causes more pain?

Edit for more details:
Walking, standing, AND sitting for long periods of time cause horrible pain, spasms, headaches, and numbness

Last edited:
DAS is need based, so you will have to explain your needs related to waiting in a standard queue environment. Nobody here can guarantee yes or no. But I will say you should probably be prepared for them to suggest a wheelchair. It sounds like you need to change positions frequently, and there is no way to guarantee an opportunity to sit without having your own seat -- maybe a rollator would be helpful if you don't want to push a wheelchair. Keep in mind that you don't need to sit in a wheelchair at all times, you can push it or park it.

At this time without FP+ in use, I understand that most standby queues have been largely steady slow-moving; so long queues but not standing still for long periods.

Don’t worry you will be able to get it . Yours isn’t just a mobility issue but a pain management one . Make sure they understand you can’t be in one position for very long . They are very accommodating so don’t worry . Hope you have a fun and pain free trip 💖

I agree with Lisa... I used an ECV and got a DAP two years ago. I didn't use the pass much but it was helpful as I have issues both sitting and standing. Think through a short, concise way to articulate your story and a thoughtful MS CM will make a decision. Enjoy your trip!

Don’t worry you will be able to get it . Yours isn’t just a mobility issue but a pain management one . Make sure they understand you can’t be in one position for very long . They are very accommodating so don’t worry . Hope you have a fun and pain free trip 💖
Don't assure people stuff you can't guarantee. Disney can not give the pass to every guest with pain, back, knee, hip issues. The sheer number of people with back issues alone would overwhelm the ride lines. They should be the guest info pages suggest a wheelchair, that can be pushed when the guest needs to walk, and sat in when the guest needs to sit. A rollator is another option to manage the parks.
There are few places to sit in the parks so having a wheelchair or rollator is a good option for when the guest is fatigued and needs to sit down urgently.

Don't assure people stuff you can't guarantee. Disney can not give the pass to every guest with pain, back, knee, hip issues. The sheer number of people with back issues alone would overwhelm the ride lines. They should be the guest info pages suggest a wheelchair, that can be pushed when the guest needs to walk, and sat in when the guest needs to sit. A rollator is another option to manage the parks.
There are few places to sit in the parks so having a wheelchair or rollator is a good option for when the guest is fatigued and needs to sit down urgently.

I agree - no one wants to set an expectation that someone will be guaranteed a DAS, and then it "ruins" their vacation if they are denied one by the CM.

what will the DAS do to alleviate being in one position for very long? It does not guarantee a seat, doesn't shorten distance one has to walk in the park (might increase it as you have to go to the attraction to get a DAS return time, then find a place to wait) and doesn't shorten the time one has to wait either. When one is in line, one doesn't have to stay in one position either. Pacing in a small space is possible, and if a rollator is brought along, a seat is also available when needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter