• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would PETA really buy Sea World?

richmo

DIS Veteran
OK, this is from today's news. It was bizarre enough that I had to see it in a couple of places:

Aug 21, 2008

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is claiming that an anonymous donation to the group will enable them to purchase a Sea World theme park. It is anticipated that the Anheuser Busch owned theme park will go on sale once InBev's takeover of Busch is complete.

According to reports, PETA would release the animals and replace them with animatronics and virtual displays.

OK, I'm not going to get into a PETA, anti-PETA thing here, but I do have a few observations:

1. At least in Orlando, if the animals were replaced with virtual displays, the Sea World park would not survive more than a year.
2. The article mentions that PETA may be interested in "a SW theme park". That to me means one. I have to believe that if Busch/InBev were to sell Sea World Orlando, the sale would also have to include Discovery Cove and Aquatica. It would be a lot less expensive for PETA to purchase Sea World Texas, and they could still make their point, whatever that may be.
3. I've always been impressed with the care that SW takes with their animals. I find it difficult to believe that, since the animals are somewhat domesticated, that they'd be better off in the ocean.
4. SW is very involved with marine rescue. Just this summer they were involved in a whale rescue at the NASA complex at Cape Canaveral.

My guess is PETA is trying to drum up some publicity here and this will go away. Sea World without dolphins and whales just wouldn't cut it, especially in Orlando. There's too much else to do.

I would be very concerned about the animals if PETA did buy a park. Many of these animals have been born in captivity or have been in captivity a long time. They are used to being fed and would have to be taught how to survive in the wild. They would be at risk due to the fact that they do not fear humans and many have bonded with people. An animatronics park would not last long. I hope that someone will buy the parks and that they will continue the care and great rehab program that Sea World has. Many marine animals have been under Sea Worlds care. Some have been released, but some have injuries that require further care in order to provide for survival.

I would be very concerned about the animals if PETA did buy a park. Many of these animals have been born in captivity or have been in captivity a long time. They are used to being fed and would have to be taught how to survive in the wild. They would be at risk due to the fact that they do not fear humans and many have bonded with people. An animatronics park would not last long. I hope that someone will buy the parks and that they will continue the care and great rehab program that Sea World has. Many marine animals have been under Sea Worlds care. Some have been released, but some have injuries that require further care in order to provide for survival.
I agree...it wouldn't last six months! :mad:

I agree that peta buying Sea world would be disaster BUT its time to stop breading killer whales and dolphins in captivity let the current ones die of old age and NOT replace them an amusement park is no place for an ocean going animal to live in

Many visitors travel to Sea World to see the most famous Orca of all time - Shamu. However, the original Shamu died in 1971, after living in captivity for only six years. Now, Shamu is just a trademark used by Sea World. To date, 140 Orcas have died in captivity, and there are currently only 45 live Orcas known to be living in captivity. Of these Orcas, 26 were born in captivity, while the other nineteen were born in the wilds.

Some scientists say that male Orcas live to be about 30 years old, and females live to be about 50 years old in the wilds, while others believe that the males live to be about 50 and the females live to be about 90 years old. However, all scientists agree that both male and female Orcas held in captivity don't live much more than twenty years.
The fact that Orcas do not reach their natural life expectancy in captivity has become a source of many heated debates between those that hold the dolphins captive, and those who want to protect them. Animal activist feel that Orcas are only taken into captivity for entertainment and profit, and not for scientific study. Furthermore, they feel that any scientific study of Orcas would be best done in the killer whale's natural habitat - not in aquariums. Another concern for Orcas that are born in the wilds, then taken into captivity, is the fact that Orcas live in pods - or families - and their families operate much like our human families do - with strong attachments and emotions. The psychological effect of tearing these majestic creatures away from their family members is a great source of concern.

Before the Internet, when information traveled slowly - if it traveled at all - the general public knew very little of the plight of the Orcas held in captivity. They simply enjoyed the entertainment that these larger than life creatures provided at marine parks, such as Sea World. However, now that information flows freely throughout the world, a greater awareness of the unnatural conditions these Orcas are forced to live in has come to light. Several incidents have been reported over the past several years that make many people question the continued captivity of Orcas. These incidents include accidents, illnesses, failed pregnancies, premature deaths, and even attacks on trainers and other human beings.

Aggression towards Orca's trainers, and their fellow captives has been increasing rapidly over the past few years. Many feel that this is due to the compromised mental and physical health of Orcas held in unnatural habitats. When compared to Orcas that live free, the Orcas held in captivity have very different behaviors. The size of the tanks, and the lack of anything resembling their natural habitat is blamed for the variations in both health and behavior. Natural movement and speed are decreased, and the tanks have flat, plain blue walls. Many scientists believe this lack of diversity in the tanks leads to limited activities, which also affects the behavior of the Orcas.

Health problems of Orcas held in captivity are blamed on the quality of the water. Even though the water is pumped in from the ocean, in most marine parks, it is filtered to remove micro and macro marine life, and chlorine is added. An ozonator is also used to remove bacteria. All of this filtering and water treatment is not natural for the Orcas.

Scientists believe that the unnatural sounds are also a problem for Orcas held in captivity. The sounds of water pumps and crowds of cheering people interfere with the natural echolocation of the Orcas, and has a negative impact on their communication. Orcas have very sensitive hearing. The feeding of the Orcas is also questioned. In their natural habitat, Orcas feed on sharks, fish, squid, whales, seals, turtles, octopus, penguins, and sea gulls. However, in captivity, Orcas are fed frozen fish and vitamin supplements.

Activists believe that the capture and transport of these animals is extremely cruel, due to the psychological stress caused by the separation of pod members, and the stress caused during transport. Then, on top of that stress, further stress is added when the Orcas are placed into tanks with other Orcas that are not members of their pods, or with different species of dolphins altogether.

It seems that now that the public has access to information that it did not have before, some steps have been taken to release Orcas back into the wilds, and many marine parks have taken Orcas off display. Furthermore, attendance to these shows has been greatly reduced over the past several years, which sends a message to the industry that uses Orcas for profit that we are no longer being entertained by Orcas held in captivity, and we would rather see them in their natural habitats.

Killer whale
The killer whale or orca can swim at up to 55 km per hour. It can survive between 50 and 80 years in the wild, yet in captivity its lifespan is drastically reduced to perhaps only 10 years - if that.
The killer whale is a member of the dolphin family and belongs to a group of animals called cetaceans, which includes whales, dolphins and porpoises. Like humans, killer whales cannot breathe underwater, but unlike us they can hold their breath for up to one hour.

Family groups
Killer whales travel around in family groups called 'pods', and will stay in these close-knit groups for life. Killer whales will sometimes surge onto a beach to catch prey, but this dramatic action can leave them stranded. Most often, they find food through 'echolocation'. This is where they produce a noise, and wait for the echo to bounce back, helping them to locate their prey.

Breeding
Killer whales do not usually breed until they are about 15 years old, and females tend to stop breeding when they are about 40. A young killer whale is called a calf, and when born, is already one-third the size of its mother. They can grow to weigh between 2.5 and 9 tonnes. Females tend to live longer than males.

Distribution
The killer whale inhabits oceans and seas all around the world - from the icy glaciers of Alaska to our own UK waters. They like cold water, and we cannot predict how the effects of global warming might impact upon these mammals. There is still relatively little known about the killer whale, and plenty more research is needed to learn about the behaviour and distribution of this mammal. This information is vital to support its conservation needs in distant waters, as well as around the UK.

Current threats & problems

Predators
Adult killer whales have no real predators - apart from man. These magnificent mammals, along with other marine species, are suffering largely as a result of man's exploitation of the environment. In some countries, whales are still killed for meat, and in Japan recent research revealed that pollution levels are so high that the whale meat is too contaminated for consumption.

Pollution
Pollution is a big problem. Much of the fish that the killer whale consumes is heavily polluted, and the killer whale is reported to be among the most contaminated marine mammals in the world. A report in the Washington Post told of a sample of killer whales that showed toxic chemical levels over 500 per cent higher than those found in humans. Their calves were also born contaminated.

Oil spills, noise pollution and overfishing are also seriously affecting these mammals.

What WWF is doing

A safer habitat
WWF is continuing its work in cooperation with other conservation organisations to provide a safer habitat for marine wildlife. It is funding projects overseas and in the UK to develop our knowledge of the killer whale and other marine species, so we can reduce the threats they face, and allow them to roam wild and free in a safe environment.

An example of success
After huge efforts spanning 10 years, WWF and other conservation groups have been successful in creating a Mediterranean whale sanctuary. It is more than twice the size of Switzerland, and is a major conservation breakthrough for the protection of whales and dolphins.

http://www.wdcs.org/submissions_bin/captivityagn.pdf

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/30/entertainment/main2217792.shtml

I have seen these magnificant creatures as they should be in the seas of Norway and in the ocean is the place they should be not boosting our egos and playing our games.

A quick check of the PETA website and their press releases shows nothing on this topic.

Were it in the least bit true I'd expect PETA to be touting it

Could it be that they just appreciated the free advertising of a rumor (perchance even started by them)?

Paula, thanks for the information and your passion toward these beautiful animals. I love them also and although I do not share your thoughts on not breeding in captivity, I do find it sad and upsetting that they don't keep the family units together in captivity. Seems like a mama and her baby should stay together as they do naturally.

regarding the OP's topic, I also feel that PETA buying SeaWorld would be disastrous for the animals and for the theme park and suspect that it's only a rumor anyway.

Has anyone heard what the estimated date of Sea World being sold would be?
The process of purchasing Anheuser-Busch is not even finalized...but you could perceive they have another team already working on getting rid of Busch Gardens and Sea World amusement parks. Once AB deal is finalized they will sell the amusement parks fast since they need the money to finance the AB deal.

Paula, thanks for the information and your passion toward these beautiful animals. I love them also and although I do not share your thoughts on not breeding in captivity, I do find it sad and upsetting that they don't keep the family units together in captivity. Seems like a mama and her baby should stay together as they do naturally.

regarding the OP's topic, I also feel that PETA buying SeaWorld would be disastrous for the animals and for the theme park and suspect that it's only a rumor anyway.

If they have to keep them how about just digging that lake in the middle down nice and deep and joining it to the holding area for the whales it would at least give them room to move?

If they have to keep them how about just digging that lake in the middle down nice and deep and joining it to the holding area for the whales it would at least give them room to move?

obviously I don't run Sea World, I haven't even been there yet! But I think that is a great idea. You would think the trainers would be asking for this as well if it would keep the whales healthier and happier.

Maybe they should just move the whole park to the coast and have seawater lakes/bays! :goodvibes

I thought that guy that snuck in to Tilikum's tank was a local homeless guy who was known to SW and had been caught sneaking in and staying overnight in another tank -- I think it was the dolphins -- before. What a bizarre story that was.

Uhh... the fact that the lake is FRESH water is a big problem with this idea.

Not to mention that they would have to cement the entire thing over, as the salt water leaching down through the soil would cause major havoc to the things... like the Florida aquifer (Sea World has already received complaints that their salt water from splashes is contaminating the groundwater). Also, the bacteria and such in the soil at the bottom of the lake could be very bad for the water quality if switched to salt (freshwater bacteria die-off is very bad for saltwater) and could be harmful to the whales.

AND they'd have to fence the whole thing in, as dumb tourists have already proven that they're not smart enough to NOT swim with killer whales (ie: dumb tourist sneaks into Tilikum's pool late at night and gets killed)

Yeah, not really a feasible idea. :confused3

Then stop breading them because where there is bad for their mental and physical health. I mean what is so great about a halved lifespan kept with nothing to do but stupid tricks.

Mmm... breaded whale. Sounds like something at a Japanese McDonalds. :rotfl:

I'm pretty sure the guy who died in Tilikum's tank was a S. Carolina guy, some drugged out 27 y/o who stuck around after the park closed. His family tried to sue Sea World, but then withdrew the (quite obviously ridiculous) case.

Seriously, though, I agree with Sea World Addict. PETA is just grabbing for attention. The whole thing is just silly.

The other one that died in 1999 was a trainer who fell in the water by the time they got her out she was dead. Peta are wrong on most things but whales and dolphins do not deserve the treatment they are getting.

if PETA released the animals back into the wild the wild, they would die, they arent train or know how to live in the wild, thats why some of them are at seaworld. just think,........what happen to free willy when he was released?!, this would be that but thousands more animals would die!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter