Would this be an appropriate reason to request DAS?

Believe me, I know where your DH is at. I was born with my disability, but I refused to use any kind of mobility device until I was 17. I caused myself a lot of unnecessary pain and skipped out on a lot events because I cared what I might look like. I was a lot happier once I was able to get over that. It did take time though...

...Honestly, I don’t think the emotional journey you go through is all that different. I think it’s similar to the stages of grief. Something that most people will move through. Those born with a disability just go through it younger.

I'd like you to speak to my (24 year old stubborn as a mule) daughter please... LOL. I've been preaching to that choir for a loooooong time!

And you are VERY correct - it's a form of grieving. I try not to focus on that too much, because people get freaked out enough as it is, but what (the person who has to use the device for the first time) is mourning is a "loss" that is - to them - very real. It isn't until they see the other side of the equation that typically they realize that what they "lost" was actually the physical pain and struggle.

It's actually a very deep and intense subject, but here we often have little time to help someone see that it's really going to be OK. I wish I had known sooner that I didn't need to be afraid of using a personal mobility device. Like you, it would have saved me SO much pain and struggle - and so many wasted hours searching for a place to sit at Disney World.

Last edited:
OP not to pile on but even with DAS there is ALOT of standing, very slow walking, and walking in general. Not all FP lines are fast - and not all have a wall to lean against at all times (7DMT, TT, Buzz for example). I'd sure rent a scooter or wheelchair if needed - its super common at WDW. No one will give DH a second glance.

Sometimes my asthma throws me for a LOOP while we are in Orlando - to the point where I can't hardly walk and breathe at the same time. DH has had to rent a chair for me just to be able to function. DO i like it? Nope. But is it better for our vacation than passing out in the middle of Main Street USA? YUP!

I used an ECV 10-12 years ago when I had walking pneumonia (not contagious, reflux related). And then I did not use one again until I became totally incapacitated even though I had terrible fatigue issues that limited my park time to about 4 hours max. I was totally mobile, but had limited energy resources.

How I wish I could go back and change that. I now cannot walk unassisted at all. There are many rides that I could have ridden if I'd had more park time that I will never be able to ride again now.

Thank you for advice, everyone. It is much appreciated. The idea that it is a form of grieving really resonate with me. I don't think my husband worries about what others will think.....I think he doesn't want to admit that he has a condition that has a big impact on his life. We'll have to see how it goes. Our trip isn't for a long time, so I can subtly work on changing his mind.....

Thank you for advice, everyone. It is much appreciated. The idea that it is a form of grieving really resonate with me. I don't think my husband worries about what others will think.....I think he doesn't want to admit that he has a condition that has a big impact on his life. We'll have to see how it goes. Our trip isn't for a long time, so I can subtly work on changing his mind.....
maybe show him some post from this thread about who other did not want to use a device but once they did they found how much better their trips were how much more energy they had...

What is key to this thread - and many like it - is that you see time and time again that when someone finally makes the decision to go with an ECV, they do not regret it. I don't think I've ever seen anyone post that they finally decided to get an ECV for their trip and regret it. There may have been some tears about admitting they needed it, but after the trip it seems that almost universally, people say how much better their trip was. I've seen a lot of posts from people saying that they regret not making the switch sooner, or regretting not getting one for their trip, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone say they regretted making the decision.

What is key to this thread - and many like it - is that you see time and time again that when someone finally makes the decision to go with an ECV, they do not regret it. I don't think I've ever seen anyone post that they finally decided to get an ECV for their trip and regret it. There may have been some tears about admitting they needed it, but after the trip it seems that almost universally, people say how much better their trip was. I've seen a lot of posts from people saying that they regret not making the switch sooner, or regretting not getting one for their trip, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone say they regretted making the decision.

Yes! This - exactly! Excellent points!

Thank you all for the information. It is much appreciated. Unfortunately, my husband will not do a wheelchair or EVC out of misplaced pride. It simply isn’t an option. He would rather just not ride. It is good for us to know that we shouldn’t count on the DAS, though.

FYI, I had an abdominal surgery that makes standing in one place (ESPECIALLY CONCRETE) extremely difficult though as long as I can keep moving, I do pretty well. I ended up getting a rollator. I believe they can be rented. I imagine if he's unwilling to use other mobility aids, this may be off the list, too, but I like having the option to sit anywhere, anytime I need to without being in the wheelchair all day. I don't like the WC because my back locks up and transferring becomes next to impossible for me. Just an option to think about.

Original Poster here. Just thought I would update, as it has been a few months. My husband has been doing his back exercises and trying to walk longer distances, though it is a slow journey. At this point, he can walk for about 1/4 of a mile before having to sit down. We do still have six months until our trip, but walking together has opened a chance to discuss this quite a bit. Obviously a quarter mile is nothing at Disney. It will be more than that to walk to the monorail from our room. He wants to keep working at increasing his ability to walk (which I am all in favor of), but is willing to consider the necessity of using an ECV. We've talked about when our 'cut off' date for deciding would be, so that we can rent from an off-site company. I appreciate the help and advice on this thread---and all the other threads that talk about renting/using an ECV for the first time.

Original Poster here. Just thought I would update, as it has been a few months. My husband has been doing his back exercises and trying to walk longer distances, though it is a slow journey. At this point, he can walk for about 1/4 of a mile before having to sit down. We do still have six months until our trip, but walking together has opened a chance to discuss this quite a bit. Obviously a quarter mile is nothing at Disney. It will be more than that to walk to the monorail from our room. He wants to keep working at increasing his ability to walk (which I am all in favor of), but is willing to consider the necessity of using an ECV. We've talked about when our 'cut off' date for deciding would be, so that we can rent from an off-site company. I appreciate the help and advice on this thread---and all the other threads that talk about renting/using an ECV for the first time.
It sounds like he will need some help. If he dose go with the ECV he dose not have to use it all the time he can park in close by and go walk around. When are you going down

FYI, I had an abdominal surgery that makes standing in one place (ESPECIALLY CONCRETE) extremely difficult though as long as I can keep moving, I do pretty well. I ended up getting a rollator. I believe they can be rented. I imagine if he's unwilling to use other mobility aids, this may be off the list, too, but I like having the option to sit anywhere, anytime I need to without being in the wheelchair all day. I don't like the WC because my back locks up and transferring becomes next to impossible for me. Just an option to think about.

I'm not sure if they can be rented, but they don't cost that much.

It's funny, a few years ago, my DH was at this point. We didn't stay for street shows or fireworks (couldn't stand in one place) , didn't put to many hours in parks (knees hurt too much). We'll get a wheelchair....no , no, no. After two years of this, just walking though the airport, he turns to me and says "get the wheelchair". First two trips, we rented from disney. Now we get off site, so we have it the whole time.

This summer he had surgery that did not go well. We now have a whole slew of "helper" products in the house. Walker, rollator, cane, etc.....we are at the point the only thing still in use is the cane. But a few weeks ago he used the rollator for the halloween parade at the grandkids school.

I'd vote for the rollator for you DH. He is still walking all the time, but can sit when needed.

Edited to say......Never mind. ...... I missed the post where he is leading toward the EVC. I thought the rollator would have been a step easier to accept.

Thank you all for the information. It is much appreciated. Unfortunately, my husband will not do a wheelchair or EVC out of misplaced pride. It simply isn’t an option. He would rather just not ride. It is good for us to know that we shouldn’t count on the DAS, though.

Believe me I get it. Last October we were in Disney about three weeks after my husband had back surgery. He flat out refused to rent a wheelchair.

Our second day in epcot we slowly made it to the festival center. He was obviously in pain but kept saying he was fine. W sat on a bench and I laid out the options. It was a picture perfect day. Dry, low 80'sl sunny. I told him he could wait on the bench while I visited food & wine booths, we could go back to the hotel and get him settled but I was going to Uber back. We could rent a chair and enjoy the day together. So many options but one was not being a miserable SOB and telling me everything was ok.

He reluctantly gave in and I went to the front and rented a chair. We ended up having the best time. The chair gave him the freedom to do whatever he wanted. He could push it, park it & walk, always had a place to sit, and I could push.

I truly hope your husband changes his mind.

Ps - I lost four pounds from pushing him. During food & wine!

Good luck.

Ps - I lost four pounds from pushing him. During food & wine!

Good luck.

Hey, Not fair!! How come you got to lose 4 pounds pushing a wheelchair and I didn't????? :p :goodvibes

Truly, I was shocked I didn't lose any weight. I pushed DH at least a few hours a days for 8 days. Maybe it was the dole whip dispenser we had installed on the wheelchair.:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts