would this be considered a disability?

disneydeb

DIS Veteran
or not, i was wondering how everyone felt about this and if this seems wrong? years ago i use to go to wdw and spend 12 hours in the park at a time that was 30 years ago, i have been going every year since 1976 and noticed last year that i dont have the stanima to do 12 hours which is ok because now i am 52 years old, well when i went last month i noticed after 5 hours my feet really began to swell and i was limping and it was quite painful,i noticed when i am on my feet for too long my feet and ankles swell , this has been going on since april, i am going again next month and was thinking about renting a scooter, so my question is i feel i might need a scooter, does anyone think that this would be a bad reason to get one or are there any othr options i might consider? i dont want to do anything wrong and certainly not illegal, just wondering everyones opinion on this> thank you in advance:santa:

If getting a "scooter" (ECV) will enhance your experience in WDW - in this case by alleviating pain and allowing you to get off your feet for a while - then by all means rent one. The off-site places are generally better, from what I understand. Just by riding from attraction to attraction on your ECV will not get you any preferential treatment, so you are not abusing any privileges; most lines are set up to accommodate people in ECVs and wheelchairs, but I expect you'll be parking outside of attractions and going thru the regular line anyway.

So since it will enable you to keep up with your party, I say go for the ECV rental, by all means.

Good luck!

There's nothing illegal about renting a scooter if you need one :)

As you've already determined a wheel-chair would be a bad idea, since you're not used to pushing it. As pumpkinboy said there aren't any "perks" to the wheels, other than less pain.

Also you should check in with your doctor, about the pain. If it was caused by something like Arthritis, you could be much worse than you're feeling, day-to-day because your body has learned to tolerate the pain. The damage to your joints is still being done however, so its a good idea to check in with your doctor.

I agree with the other posters.
Renting an ECV if you have problems with walking is kind of 'common sense' advice. There is no requirement for your to have any specific disability to rent one - you sound like you have a need that the ECV would meet.

I'd also agree with the suggestion to contact your doctor. There may be something that could be done to help with the situation.

There's nothing wrong with renting a scooter or wheelchair whether you need one or not - everyone is free to spend their money the way they want to, and if you want a scooter or wheelchair, there's no law that says you can't go out and buy one, or rent one. You don't have to have a medically diagnosed disability to get a scooter or wheelchair.

Of course rent a scooter, you are not asking for a GAC.

But if I were you I would be finding out the cause of the swelling first and foremost. It can be a red flag to many health issues, from HBP medication, lymph nodes, DVT and other issues. Please get that thoroughly checked out before your next trip.

We want you to have many more trips to WDW in your future.
I am 48 and can still go 12 hours with my two kiddos, ages 7 and 9 with no problem. So you are not much older than me and I surely want to think in 4 short years I will still be almost as energetic and able as I am now.

Of course rent a scooter, you are not asking for a GAC.

But if I were you I would be finding out the cause of the swelling first and foremost. It can be a red flag to many health issues, from HBP medication, lymph nodes, DVT and other issues. Please get that thoroughly checked out before your next trip.

We want you to have many more trips to WDW in your future.
I am 48 and can still go 12 hours with my two kiddos, ages 7 and 9 with no problem. So you are not much older than me and I surely want to think in 4 short years I will still be almost as energetic and able as I am now.

4 years ago i was still running with the kiddos thats whats so scary to me, i went to the doctors yesterday and they are testing me for rheumotoid arthritis in my feet! and lupus ! i had the blood draws yesterday and both feet x rayed this morning so now its just a wait and see what the test results show,:santa:

good news so far everythings fine, no RA, but they did say i have heel spurs, hence the pain, and vasculitis in my lower legs hence the swelling and lower legs starting to turn brown, so i will take motrin and exercise the heels and only rent an ecv if the swelling becomes too bad, hadnt heard back on the lupus yet but im sure i dont have that as lab values were good. thanks for all answers, much appreciated :santa:

Good to hear it isn't RA. I have used an ECV and wheelchair at stores and amusement parks. Looking at me you can't always tell, but I have huge stamina problems due to back problems. If renting an ECV helps, go for it.

good news so far everythings fine, no RA, but they did say i have heel spurs, hence the pain, and vasculitis in my lower legs hence the swelling and lower legs starting to turn brown, so i will take motrin and exercise the heels and only rent an ecv if the swelling becomes too bad, hadnt heard back on the lupus yet but im sure i dont have that as lab values were good. thanks for all answers, much appreciated :santa:

Glad to know it's not RA. Heel spurs can be SO painful, though! I have one on each foot! I am pain free right now. I wear Crocs (and Payless brand ones) and athletic flip-flops by Adidas almost all the time. This has really taken care of the pain. Maybe it would help you, too :confused3 My podiatrist recommended wearing running shoes a lot, as well as Birkenstocks. The running shoes are OK, and my Adidas flip-flops do more for my feet than the $100 Birks.

Good to hear it isn't RA. I have used an ECV and wheelchair at stores and amusement parks. Looking at me you can't always tell, but I have huge stamina problems due to back problems. If renting an ECV helps, go for it.

I have very similar symptoms and mine was diagnosed as Plantar Fasciitis with heel spurs. I don't have much issue during the summer, but this time of year is VERY difficult. There are mornings I can't stand for my feet to touch the ground and evenings when I can hardly walk if I have done many activities. I rent a scooter for every trip so I can enjoy myself.

Suzanne

I have very similar symptoms and mine was diagnosed as Plantar Fasciitis with heel spurs. I don't have much issue during the summer, but this time of year is VERY difficult. There are mornings I can't stand for my feet to touch the ground and evenings when I can hardly walk if I have done many activities. I rent a scooter for every trip so I can enjoy myself.

Suzanne

Hey Suzanne, I used to have the same problem with my feet--could barely even walk in the mornings when I got out of bed. Check my Post #11 above--this really helped me a lot. I am now pain-free, without using meds or going back to the doctor :goodvibes

Hey Suzanne, I used to have the same problem with my feet--could barely even walk in the mornings when I got out of bed. Check my Post #11 above--this really helped me a lot. I am now pain-free, without using meds or going back to the doctor :goodvibes

I have Crocs and Birkenstocks, but I can't wear them to work. I can't wear athletic shoes, because I can't stand anything on my heels.

Suzanne

I have Crocs and Birkenstocks, but I can't wear them to work. I can't wear athletic shoes, because I can't stand anything on my heels.

Suzanne

Both Crocs and Birks have "dressier" versions. They're rather ugly, but, they're closed toed, etc.

I was gonna say that I am a few years older than the OP and have been goind to DLR since 1971 and WDW since 1987.

My DW and I often "condition" ourselves for vacation, upping our daily walks. we also bought hiking shoes, and DW gets the special insoles. We have never experienced the problems that the OP stated, So my guess something other than normal wear and tear.

(I also bought a pair of crocs there several years ago, and wore them to the parks, I am hooked!!) (wore them out!!)

A "trick" I learned many years ago is that if you go back to the room in the afternoon, change to another pair of shoes.

All that being said, I think getting an ECV is a really good idea.

That is a very good reason to get an ECV. I am pregnant with twins and I will be renting one next weekend when I am there for the Christmas party. I get funny looks at the store when I use one because so many people want pregnancy to not be a disability but my body is being over worked from the twins.

The important part is will having a scooter make your trip better? Then yes by all means rent one. You do not have to stay in it the whole time. IF you need to get up and walk around for a bit do so. Do not let other people who do not know YOU make you feel bad for getting the scooter.

That is a very good reason to get an ECV. I am pregnant with twins and I will be renting one next weekend when I am there for the Christmas party. I get funny looks at the store when I use one because so many people want pregnancy to not be a disability but my body is being over worked from the twins.

The important part is will having a scooter make your trip better? Then yes by all means rent one. You do not have to stay in it the whole time. IF you need to get up and walk around for a bit do so. Do not let other people who do not know YOU make you feel bad for getting the scooter.

You don't need to explain to anyone! When DIL was expecting grandchild two, she had to stay in bed for a bit! we rented a wheelchair for the few times she had to leave the house. Nothing wrong with taking care of yourself (and your baby!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter