Would you allow your child to quit band during the school year?

just4today

<font color=lime>Quirky about hair in front of eye
My DS13 was in band last year. He enjoyed it, although it has always been like pulling teeth to get him to practice. This year it is even worse getting him to practice and now he's saying he wants to quit. I am not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, his heart clearly isn't in it anymore and I don't want to force him to do something that is an elective class. On the other hand, I don't want him to be a quitter and it isn't like he didn't know what band was all about when he signed up for it this year.

Your thoughts?

Why does he want to quit? Is he doing badly? Does he have some sort of personality conflict with the band teacher?

What are the consequences of quitting at this point? Is it a semester-long class or year-long? Are other members of the band dependent upon him (ie marching band)? Did someone else lose a spot because he chose to do it?

Most of the time I think kids should stick with their commitments. We all have to do things we don't like sometimes. If he can get out in December, I might ask him to stick it out. However, I would make exceptions under certain circumstcanes - especially if there is little consequence and if other avenues (like talking to a teacher) had been exhausted.

Good luck.

Denae

My dd is in the seventh grade (age 12) and in the marching band. This is her second year and she wants to quit. We told her that she must stay with the band for this school year, until her clarinet is payed off. Then she can quit and do chorus in the 8th grade. She seemed satisfied with this. Good luck!

When I quit tuba in 7th grade my parents said they always knew I was going to blow it.;)

It depends on the situation. Last year my son wanted to quit marching band but he didn't bother to ask because he knew the answer. He understood that a lot of other people were depending on him to pull his weight. Our director has the kids sign a contract before marching band starts. I understand that it's not really binding but it makes the kids think about the commitment that they are making. Keep in mind that I'm referring to high school. If it's middle school band it's not that crucial. The school may require him to finish the grading period or semester.

Why does he want to quit? Is he doing badly? Does he have some sort of personality conflict with the band teacher?

He says he hates practicing, and doesn't like the teacher, although it's the same teacher as last year. :confused3

What are the consequences of quitting at this point? Is it a semester-long class or year-long? Are other members of the band dependent upon him (ie marching band)? Did someone else lose a spot because he chose to do it?

It is a year-long class. I don't know what happens at this point if he quits. I told him that he needed to think long and hard about this because if he does quit, it's not going to be so he can do something "fun." No, he is not in marching band and he did not take somebody else's spot. They accomodate anyone who wants to be in band at his level.

Most of the time I think kids should stick with their commitments. We all have to do things we don't like sometimes. If he can get out in December, I might ask him to stick it out. However, I would make exceptions under certain circumstcanes - especially if there is little consequence and if other avenues (like talking to a teacher) had been exhausted.

I agree about sticking with commitments. He is not good about this in general. He lives in this fantasy world where everything he does is supposed to be fun all the time. I am struggling to help him get a clue about that ;)

He is under the impression that if he quits, he will get to join another elective class of his choice. I would rather make it so that if he quits, he must use the time period for study/remediation rather than something fun. This would all be different if this was his first year in band, but he knew what it was all about. If he didn't want to continue, he should have decided that at the end of last year.

I played the flute in band. I hated the flute. In my 8th grade year when I was 17th out of 18 flutes (still an excellent pianist, mind) I decided I just wasn't gonna do it anymore. Didn't even ask my parents. Went to the counselor and switched to Home Ec. Lame yes, but there weren't many options offered at the same time of day. On the upside, I learned to sew...which turned out to be an important life skill. My parents were sad, they had always wanted to see me march in a band. However, not having the great schedule killer which is band to worry about allowed me to go into a much wider variety of extra-curriculars. If your kid wants to quit, let him. But let him know he's not off the hook and can't just come home and veg in front of the TV, regardless.

Yes I would let him quit. If he doesn't enjoy it- he doesn't enjoy it and making him participate is pointless.

Did he want to be in band at the beginning of this year? If so, I would make him finish out the year and let him try something else next year.

Have him talk to the counselor and find out the consequences first.

Perhaps he can quit at the end of one of the quarters. However it has to be done in a way that does not mess up his school credits.:thumbsup2

That would be my requirement.

I played in band and loved it. I would not force a child to do music if he doesn't want to. What is the point of teaching them to dislike music? However, if he has made a commitment and can't break it, then he has no choice, does he?

I played in band and loved it. I would not force a child to do music if he doesn't want to. What is the point of teaching them to dislike music? However, if he has made a commitment and can't break it, then he has no choice, does he?

I don't think the issue is about him disliking music. I think he just dislikes having to work at anything.

I don't know yet about breaking the committment. I will have to check with the school. For now he has agreed to continue on for the indefinite future. We're going to handle practice a bit differently and see if that makes a difference.

There is a time to teach and learn discipline, like learning multiplication tables and doing chores, and times where being a part of a community, being of service, or honoring a commitment is important.

I can't see forcing a teen to continue to play an instrument and remain in the band as one of those times. Didn't school just start a few WEEKS ago? :confused3 So he can't change his mind about courses he wants to take, or being apart of, that will affect him for the next TEN MONTHS?

He's 13, not 35. He doesn't have the sense of time the way adults do. What a lesson to teach him, about being stuck and paralysed with a decision and your time thereafter if you don't/can't think ahead into a future you can't fully see. :rolleyes: How about teaching him instead to honor his insides and find what he's really passionate about? Kids are expected to already know this at 13?

The clues were already there from last year since "it has always been like pulling teeth to get him to practice." So exactly WHO is the one really wanting him to play this instrument and be in the band?

An instrument should be a JOY to play, not a punishment or obligation because someone didn't plan ahead correctly, or someone else is exerting pressure to get the person to play. It may also cause him to loathe to play the instrument he once liked, and never play it again once the "obligation" is over.

In elementary school, the band teacher wanted me to play the clarinet, as we had one, from when my brother played. I hated the idea. I never liked the instrument. I wanted to play the flute or the piano. I was forced to take up clarinet. Never practiced, and in two classes, when the teacher finally dropped me from class, I was soooo pleased! :woohoo: But, I didn't get to learn another instrument, as both my parents & the band teacher said, I probably wouldn't be disciplined enough to stay with that instrument either.

SIX YEARS later, when I finally was allowed to learn and play piano, I played passionately every day for hours. There was no pushing on my parents part. I LOVED playing the piano. :love: Had I been allowed to play it six years before, I might have become quite an accomplished pianist. I lost many years due to other people's ideas of what I would and wouldn't do, and how disciplined I might be. I never considered the piano a discipline - it was a passion. :sad2:

Recently, I relearned this lesson, again. I started ballet again, two weeks ago, for the first time in 20 years! I had been thinking about it on & off for a while, but I was locked into a gym membership that I barely used, that was making auto-deductions from my credit card for the last 3 years. The only reason I joined a gym at all was because I was under the cultural hypnosis that it's the right thing to do, force myself to to to the gym for workouts. :rolleyes: I couldn't foresee how it would be for the next 3 years.

I finally realised, it was work to get me to go to the gym, whereas I love to dance! (I also want to try pilates & yoga.) But, I didn't have the funds to take any other kinds of classes during the auto-deductions. I can get the same resistance body conditioning that from the barre exercises that I would get from any gym machine. I used to happily go to dance classes 3 times a week without needing to drag myself there, like I did for the gym. I looked forward to class.

NOW that my gym obligation is up and I'm passionately dancing again, I sooo look forward to classes. I even got a dance tape, so I can practice a few times a week since I can only afford one class a week.

I realized I was literally out of my mind; to think I used to drag myself to the gym to powerwalk on a treadmill with my iPod, because I had made an unforeseeable obligation and commitment to a gym membership, when I could have been dancing instead! I won't make that mistake again! Life is just too short.

My DS13 was in band last year. He enjoyed it, although it has always been like pulling teeth to get him to practice. This year it is even worse getting him to practice and now he's saying he wants to quit. I am not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, his heart clearly isn't in it anymore and I don't want to force him to do something that is an elective class. On the other hand, I don't want him to be a quitter and it isn't like he didn't know what band was all about when he signed up for it this year.

Your thoughts?

I would try to keep him in- tell him he needs to stay in and finish the first concert. Sometimes the fun of a concert can turn a kid around. If his teacher isn't complaining about how much he practices, don't worry about the lack of practice.

DH and I are both music teachers-dh is high school band, I'm elementary strings. I have a 13 year old wanting to quit too, and so far, we havn't let him. We did let him start guitar, which he practices willingly. We'll let him switch over completely if he keeps showing a willingness to practice on guitar. DH was wanting him in his band at the high school but it seems ds has different plans.

In our house you start it you finish it, so he would have to finish out the year. Secondly, it's not his 1st year, he knew what he was in for and still chose to do it. Sorry but you have to fulfill that obligation IMO.

Ds12's 2 electives are concert choir and fine arts, both of which, thank goodness, she loves. However, they are part of her curriculum, and I don't think she could change her classes now - how would they get a final grade? Before discussing this with him further, I'd first talk to someone at the school who is aware of their policies.

That said, dd quit the band in 6th grade last year, even though the director begged me to keep her in. It was a pullout program, and she was missing a lot of math, assignments in other classes, etc., and was getting behind and frantic. Although she actually loved playing the flute (which the school provides), it was starting to interfere with her grades, and since it wasn't a graded class, I allowed her to quit.

When I quit tuba in 7th grade my parents said they always knew I was going to blow it.;)

hahahaha! I have tears in my eyes!

no, I would absolutely not let him quit. he has made a commitment. the same goes for a sports team, club, summer job, or whatever other commitment a child agrees to make. This is life and a big life lesson....but a lesson he deserves to learn to help make better decisions in the future. as a parent, you would be doing him a disservice in the long run allowing him to quit.

Have they had their first concert yet?

In our school district, for Middle School, they have 3 days to change their minds for band/orchestra/choir. After those 3 days, they have to stay in it until the 1st concert.

My DD wanted to quit Orchestra in 7th grade. I didn't realize the "you can quit after the first concert" deal was also good for 7th & 8th graders...I had just thought it was good for 6th graders for some odd reason.

By the end of the year, I was *really* wishing I had let her quit when she asked at the beginning of the year. She HATED it, it was obvious she hated it, she had no clue what she was doing by the end of the year and she literally told me she was just faking it at the concerts with moving the bow up & down at the proper times.

She had never practiced much to start with -- I wasn't even sure why she signed up for 7th grade. It turns out she wasn't 100% sure she wanted to quit but was pretty sure by the end of 6th. She wanted to at least try it at the beginning of 7th grade just to be 100% positive of herself before quitting (her thinking was if she still didn't quite like it, she knew they were allowed to quit after the first concert. If she ended up liking it more then fine, if not she figured she had that out but neglected to tell me of these plans until I told her "you signed up for it you have to stay IN it".)

There have been no regrets. If it's obvious to you that he really isn't putting any effort into it & he can quit after the first concert...I think I would see what the policies are.

In our case, it wouldn't have mattered as they let anyone who signs up take band/orchestra/choir. There are no try-outs, so no spots taken. We have split classes for instrument/choir -- so in my DD's case she was going to orchestra 2 days/week then choir 2 days/week switching every Friday. She would have just slid into choir 5 days week which would have made things much better.

Yes I would let him quit. If he doesn't enjoy it- he doesn't enjoy it and making him participate is pointless.

Making him participate is far from pointless. Commitment - One of life's important lessons. If he doesn't enjoy it, he shouldn't have signed up in the first place.

We never had concerts here so yes I let my DD quit sax last year. This year my younger daughter is in clarinet and i had to prepay for 3 months of rental so she will have to stick it out that long. When it comes to high school sports and commitments I agree they need to stick it out. But a 10 year old doesn't have the same kind of long term vision as a highschooler so as long as it is elementary, I feel ok letting them back out. That is my child, my choice but I just think younger kids should have an oppurtunity to test the waters and see what their real interests are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter