Would you buy again?

jtwibih

Mouseketeer
I'm new to this part of the Disboards but I'm curious how many of you who bought DVC years ago would do it all over again with today's Disney. Do you feel like DVC is still a good value today as it was years ago? Obviously this question will field a number of different answers but I'm interested what you folks think. We are probably going to buy a resale contract soon. We have young kids and I think it's a good time to buy with all of the new things coming to the parks in the next 5 years.

If I were a younger person, I think I would still buy today, but under the same understanding that some of the DIS veterans gave me back in the day: "DVC is a pre-paid vacation plan and about all one is entitled to is a room (based on availability)". Anything else can - and probably will - change. I still think it's a good way to vacation with family at WDW, but WDW is changing rapidly and there may come a time when you don't want to vacation there anymore.

I would not buy today given current prices. Other than the initial buy in price point, I am not at all unhappy with Disney and would buy again. Buying DVC in 1999 was one of the best purchases we have ever made and I have no regrets.

Things change over time and I accept that DVD is an arm of a "for profit" business. When it becomes too expensive, or when we no longer want or are able to go, we will sell and move on. None of those things is a factor yet. :)

It seems to me that DVC/Disney can be compared to the airlines. I do not like all the un-bundling and nickel and dime fees those businesses now charge, but I still buy tickets.

We love our DVC. Have owned for almost 18 years. We have had no regrets and we bought direct cash. It seemed expensive then/or a "splurge" but don't think it compares to today's prices. We bought originally/our first contract $67 per point - 200 points = $13,400. Today - Direct - $182 (I think this is what they are going for now) per point 200 points - $36,400. Ouch!

If we were to buy today and we were 18/20 years younger - we would definitely buy resale and a small contract direct. I don't know if we would reach the number of points we have now (460).

If we were to buy today, at my age - we would not buy all the points we own now (not that we bought them all in one contract initially anyway).

Having said that, we might consider buying 50-100 more points in the near future. First I wanted BCV (one of my home resorts) - hard to get/find/my UY. Now won't pay current prices for BCV after the increase with the 2042 end date. Might consider the Rivera when built but will have to really think about it.........too much nickel and diming recently.

I wish I bought in 1996 when we first did the tour. But finally in 2018 it was right financially for our family. So far, just wish I could have done it sooner, nothing but positives.

Go BRIDS!!!

After a careful cost analysis, we decided that the purchase would work for our lifestyle. We purchased most of our points resale. Of course, we went in with eyes open, recognizing that the membership extras are not guaranteed, that disneyworld could become unpopular, that we might get disney-ed out, that our financial position may change, that we are not guaranteed exactly the room or accommodations we request, and that the value we paid could go to zero. To date, no regrets other than not buying 10 years earlier.

No The price per point is too high, Disney ticket prices are too high, and since we bought, a lot of the luster has gone out of staying on site. Once Bonnet Creek opened, the need to book at Disney went way down.

Today we are also at a different point in our lives. We owned DVC so we could put the kids in a different room. Now those kids are in college. Wandering around theme parks every year or every other year really isn't what we want to do with our vacation time. This Fall we go to London, though.

Disney as a whole is making me nervous right now. Their stock has dipped and then stagnated too long. That leads to panic up top, and who knows how they will react.
With that said, I wish I had bought in long ago. We got in this past summer and ate still happy with the decsion. No matter what direction Disney goes in, they will always own about 20% of my income. They are too ingrained in my lifestyle to be put away.
If you are like me, and know that no matter what, you will end up going to Disney World every couple of years, then buying resale is probably worth it. Otherwise, renting is the better route to follow.

When you buy a pre-paid vacation plan, you're not necessarily buying for today's prices, but more for what prices will be in 10, 20, or 30 years from now. So buying still makes sense if you're young enough to be able to take advantage of the savings over time.

Like others have said, I wouldn't buy at today prices, even resale. I bought SSR for 50$pp, at that price DVC was a good deal and overall it doesn't cost me much more than a Value hotel to stay in "deluxe" resorts. Now the same contracts would cost me nearly double and it would be hard to justify a purchase.

I'm new to this part of the Disboards but I'm curious how many of you who bought DVC years ago would do it all over again with today's Disney. Do you feel like DVC is still a good value today as it was years ago? Obviously this question will field a number of different answers but I'm interested what you folks think. We are probably going to buy a resale contract soon. We have young kids and I think it's a good time to buy with all of the new things coming to the parks in the next 5 years.

Good question. We enjoy WDW & visit several times per year, thanks to having DVC ‘pre-bought’. Nice to now be able to take our GD & adult children on trips.

I would purchase again, always cash though, wouldn’t finance it. We bought in dribs and drabs, direct & resale. Now own @ 3 different resorts. Roles have reversed. DH has become the more fervent one, always looking for a good deal on a small resale contract lol. Last add on a year ago. Must say we are surprised by the current higher pricing.

Happy to be grandfathered in for the perks. I understand they are always subject to change, but the current APH discount/any discounted tix & the special after hours events are much appreciated.

I have to say it. :duck: Buy where you want to stay & book @ 11 months. If not, mentally prepare yourself to be happy staying at your home resort. If you are able to switch over @ 7 months, that is gravy!

I am assuming that everyone who has purchased could sell at these current prices and make a profit on their contract. Knowing that is the case, everyone should be satisfied. It is the current buyers that may be the only ones who second guess....

I think I am referring more to the direction the company is going with the parks. A lot of IP being injected into the parks, huge crowds/long waits, etc. It’s intriguing to think of what the place will look like in 10 years.

We bought in 2009 BLT direct and then BWV resale 6 months later. We love our DVC purchase and still get value out of it. We're still drinking the WDW cool-aid as fast as they can serve it to us in Mickey cups with $8 glowing ice cubes. That said, I wouldn't buy at today's direct prices. It's just more money than we'd want to spend. I'd actually like to have more points but I just can't make the direct pricing numbers work. I'm personally hoping for a short downturn in resale prices to add about 100 points, but I honestly don't see that happening anytime in the next few years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter