Would you do Sea World?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
I'm wondering if it is worth the money to do Sea World? Our children do not like thrill rides at all, so other than Shamu's Happy Harbor and the Penguin ride, I really don't see us doing any of the rides. We also won't be doing the shows. So that leaves the animal exhibits. Is Sea World's animal exhibits that impressive that it's worth the price, or would we be just as well off to go to a cheaper aquarium elsewhere?

I'm wondering if it is worth the money to do Sea World? Our children do not like thrill rides at all, so other than Shamu's Happy Harbor and the Penguin ride, I really don't see us doing any of the rides. We also won't be doing the shows. So that leaves the animal exhibits. Is Sea World's animal exhibits that impressive that it's worth the price, or would we be just as well off to go to a cheaper aquarium elsewhere?

If you want to see orca go on a responsible whale watching boat trip and see them in the wild.

Captive orca just look like taxidermy with a heartbeat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm certainly a bad one to ask :blush: . I adore SeaWorld. But here is my two cents, since you asked.

There are several rides that your family would be able to do together, even as non thrill seekers. Turtle Trek, Penguins (the mild side), Wild Arctic (again, the non-motion side), the Sea Carousel and even SkyTower (assuming it has re-opened by the time of your visit) would all be ride options for you.

I am not sure why you are vetoing the shows.....are you fearing that they might not be interesting to your family? They are all spectacularly done, and well worth making the time to see. They're also very nicely varied.....one features the killer whales, one focuses on the dolphins and an assortment of acrobatics, the Pets Ahoy show highlights the amazing talents and abilities of house pets (with all the animals being rescued from the local humane society) and the new Clyde & Seamore sea lion show is outstanding.

There are lots of animal exhibits to check out: you could feed the sting rays, sea lions, dolphins, and sharks. There is a beautiful flamingo exhibit, two great indoor aquariums, pelicans, alligators, and more.

We have also visited Sea Life Aquarium on I-Drive, and IMHO, the experience just doesn't even compare. Yes, the price point is far different but you get a full day park experience at SeaWorld versus a quick 1-2 walking tour at Sea Life.

I think you would be pleasantly surprised at how much Sea World has to offer. I would recommend it in a heartbeat.

So my family likes Sea World...We may go there like every other year or so. If you are going to see shows though it always seems like you are rushing to the next show time in my personal opinion. The penguin ride was very cool I thought...I also thought it was super funny at the end of the ride when you see the real penguins the staff members that work in that particular section of the ride all wear like ski gear, LOL...to me that just super funny since you are in FL and wearing ski gear. If you don't plan on doing thrill rides or seeing the shows Sea World might not be for you...Shamus Happy Harbor was a little bit of a let down for us and if we are inside the Disney bubble I don't really like to travel outside the bubble once we get there. Last year we did Sea World bc we stayed off site of Disney for 2 days prior to our Disney check in so we could do stuff like Disney Springs and Sea World. When we go to Disney next year we are staying in Disney the whole time so Sea World would be a no go for us. If you want to do something else besides Sea World you could try Aquatica which is really cool or Busch Gardens in Tampa is a lot of fun as well.

Gina has given good advice but another idea might be for you
All to do The Aquarium At The Orlando Eye & the other attraction there .

I'm not a big fan of animal shows, especially the orca ones.

Honestly, then, I would take a pass on SeaWorld. Most people that I have known who disagreed with the premise of the shows but still visited the park did not get satisfaction from their day there. There are so many attraction options in Orlando, why visit one that you find (at least in part) objectionable? Especially with taking the rides out of the equation as well.

We love SeaWorld. There are more shows than just the Orcas. There is a show there that has dolphins and birds and acrobats going into the water and it's amazing. I can't think of the name right now so maybe someone else can help me out. Pets Ahoy is another great show. The Penguin Encounter and Wild Artic are both great. It says you won't do rides but they have a nice water ride if that is an option. If you have never been I would recommend going at least once.

Suggest you read up on Sea World's website.
Maybe there will be other things that would interest you to visit SW.
Or read the the links on their site on other parks/places of interest they have in orlando.
Aquatica water park, Busch Gardens, Discovery Cove

You don't like rides with the exception of two possibly, would rather go to a cheaper aquarium, for animal exhibits and won't be doing any shows.

I would say you would be over spending your money just to go there to eat, people watch and do two rides.

Many here want to help readers and newbies to this forum.
We can only suggest what we enjoy and love there.

What we like for entertainment doesn't seem to be the same thing you want to do for a day at SW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!