Would YOU go early May?

fishinChip

Mouseketeer
Some friends of ours are thinking of taking their kids out of school to go in late April or early May to go to Disney World. I told them I'd help find out when the best time was. I suggested they not go during the two weeks surrounding Easter, and being that Easter is late April this year, I thought May might be better.
I would appreciate any information about this time of year so as to help them make an informed decision. How is the weather?
How are the crowds? Are there any holidays?
THANK YOU!!!!!:sunny:

Beware the grad nights!! We were there the week following Mother's Day one year, and the crowds were quite reasonable...The weather was awesome too; it was hot but it would shower for a little while in the afternoon and that would cool things off and we didn't mind the rain- it was always brief.

We went in mid May last year and beginning of September previously. May was definitely the better choice. The crowds are manageable and the weather was perfect. It was such a great vacation for us we are already booked for May 2003. Arriving 05/12/03!:bounce:

Originally posted by fishinChip
Some friends of ours are thinking of taking their kids out of school to go in late April or early May to go to Disney World. I told them I'd help find out when the best time was. I suggested they not go during the two weeks surrounding Easter, and being that Easter is late April this year, I thought May might be better.
I would appreciate any information about this time of year so as to help them make an informed decision. How is the weather?
How are the crowds? Are there any holidays?
THANK YOU!!!!!:sunny:

Yes! We went last May and will be going the first 8 days of May this year. While I prefer October for the weather and lack of crowds, I think May is similar. It can be hotter but still enjoyable. Last year it was in the 90s most days we were there but the lack of crowds made it tolerable. We found that we could do what we wanted at the parks in the morning and then return to the resort for swimming, cooling down, and relaxing.

We have found early May to be a great time for WDW. Good weather and low crowds. It can be hot, but not unbearably so.

As you can see, we're going down the first week in May ourselves.
We normally go the second week--but either way it's a fine time to go. Weather fine, crowds manageable. Mother's Day can be a tough day to get a restaurant PS if you wait too long, but other than that--

Most of our trips have been in early May. It's a great time. Weather is great and the crowds are not bad.

May is a great time to go,weather is nice and its nice time of yr to break from everyday living.

Which is LEAST crowded---

The first few weeks of May or the first few weeks of December?

Thanks--
Hentob

We went early May one year w/ a 6, 3 and 6mo old and it was great!! the weather was not too hot (we are however, use to heat and high humidity) but we thought it was nice. It was high 70's to mid 80's but to us it was great because of low humidity.
Actually, when we wore pants and when we rode water rides it got a little cold if you got wet. Anyway, I would go again in early May in a heartbeat!

I actually left a day early because the heat was unbearable. We stayed at the ASMu and the pool was so crowded that we didn't even go swimming. I live in Florida so I'm also used to the humidity. We were at MGM one of the days and I think I came really close to a heat stroke or something. After that trip, I swore that I would always go in the cooler months. Having said this, the temps were unusually high the days we were there, but I know I won't chance it again.

Yes, go! We love May. We went to WDW the first week of May in '99 and then the 3rd week of May this year (oops now it is last year, 2002 anyway). The crowds and waits were minimal both times. Our last trip we rode RNRC twice in a row as walk ons and we didn't even get to MGM at opening. It was about 10:30 when we rode. The Flower and Garden Festival in Epcot is going on in May and the landscaping is so nice. The weather can vary, trust me, but overall it is a great time weather wise. Prior to our last trip we had been the first of Oct., late March, the first of May...so I thought this time since it was late May would be the "hottest" trip. We had the mildest weather ever. We saw hotter days on our previous trips! It was downright beautiful weather. I know this can vary but I would highly suggest this time of year.

We were at WDW first week of Dec 2001 and it was EMPTY. Of course, Sept 11 had something to do with that. The weather was unusually warm while we were there, so we got to use the pool.

ASMO was packed with Pop Warner kids and cheerleaders. Not the most calming of environments.

We are trying May this year to ensure warm, not stifling, temps.

We went in May 96 (week b4 memorial day) and the weather was excellent (but hot & humid) and crowds were moderate.

Went 2nd week of Dec 98 and the parks were empty - we walked on to almost every ride. However, the weather was cool and we needed jackets/ sweaters every day. Needless to say we didn't go to the water parks!

My vot would be May for the weather - and FastPass should elimanate the wait on popular attractions.

Early Dec will be the least crowded time vs May. This May should be a mad house in terms of crowds. With Easter being so late April and peak season running until April 27, most of us Spring visitors will be flocking into WDW early May. It's most important to not be there during Memorial day weekend or the days leading up to it, so that leaves only a 3 week May window. We'll be there May 3-17, but won't be alone. Anyone who thinks this early May will be quiet will need to rethink it. With school groups and other conventions, also the Flower festival and Flower Power concerts, May will be a busy time. I'll be there, mostly using fast pass when I can. Crowds won't bother me, because there is nothing better than Spring time in WDW. BTW, it can be extremely hot, but the humidity is pretty low (compared to the summer). Don't forget that sunscreen with UV rays close to 10 most days.

I've done May twice and the crowds pick up as the month goes on. The weather is pretty nice, but can feel hot at times. I've done September with similar esults. May is fine. Lots of flowers in bloom and the Epcot Flower Garden Festival is in full swing....:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts